SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:18 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Discussion
Molded Ritewing Z3 Spade Build

This is not my typical build, but I am super excited to get this one in the air. I was lucky enough to get an early production run of the new Molded Z3 Spade by Ritewing RC. I love visiting their ever expanding shop -- they have some super cool things going on there -- even things they would not let me take pictures of.

Anyway, I was happy to leave with a Z3 Spade (in box). I plan on building it the Ritewing way as well as using all their recommended products.

Items used to complete the build:
- Gorilla Glue
- Elmer's Wood Glue
- Thick CA
- Activator (kicker)
- Hobby Pins
- Hobby blades/knife
- Sand Paper (120)
- Palm Sander
- Hotwire cutter (Soldering Gun with copper wire) Harbor Freight

Items Not included in the base kit:
- Ritewing RC 1300kv Spade Motor
- 85A Turnigy ESC with 5A BEC
- APC 8x6E Prop
- DragonLink Rx
- 5000mAh 4S packs
- Ruby (or something else for Flight Control System) - undecided
- Ritewing clear Lamination
- Ritewing metal Gear Servos
- Control Rod and Control horn kit (Ritewing)
- 600tvl Sony Super HAD II with 2.1mm lens (flight camera)
- Mobius (A and B lens) for flight recording black box
- 2.3Ghz vTx running on 2305Mhz with SPW tuned antenna
- Ritewing Mobius Mount for Z3 Spade

Currently, you may inquire on the FPVLab Z3 Spade Purchase thread as it is not yet available through the Ritewing RC website:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....urchase-thread

Here you can see one of the 47" wingspan Z3 Spade almost done -- this is one of Ron's personal planes.

Here is the box they come in.

Contents of the box:

This is the raw molded wing:

Qrome is online now Find More Posts by Qrome
Last edited by Qrome; Aug 18, 2014 at 09:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:37 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
I am impressed with the design. Several things that I like right away. The wing can easily be taken down into 3 manageable parts. Even the fins are easy to remove and slide out -- also makes for easy replacement. The center fins also double as landing skids. There is plenty of room for all sorts of gear both in the center section and in the side pockets. The longer nose also allows for easy battery placement to get the CG just right without having to add extra nose weight.

Inspect and clean up the edges of the foam -- artifacts that are a result of the molding process. Use a long blade utility knife to cut and remove the molding nobs.

Add all the glass rods to the bottom of the fuselage -- the top 2 will go on after the motor mount is added. Start by pinning them in and glue them in with thick CA and kicker. After the front tacks dry then pin down the rest, cut and CA down the rest of the string to the fuse.

Using thick CA glue all the glass rods into the wings as shown (top and bottom). These all need to be done before gluing in the glass joiner tubes.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:50 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
After gluing in the bottom fuse glass rods and all the wing glass rods, the plane is ready for the glass tube joiners. The black glass tubes that will be glued into the fuse and wings will needed to be cut. Do not make a mistake as there is NO extra glass tubing in the kit and every fraction of an inch is used in the kit.

The two tubes used in the center section of the fuse should be totally flush with the sides. Cut the tubes to be flush. Mine were 10 and 7/16 inches each.

The tubes that go in the wing are: 2 inches and 9 and 3/4 each.

Using the two 10 and 7/16 inch glass tubes secure them into the fuse with a couple of drops of thick CA. Press them firmly down and ensure they are flush with the edges of the fuse sides.

Use masking tape to tap all the edges and to cap the end pieces. This tape will ensure a clean area around the tubs and prevent the Gorilla Glue mix from clogging the tubes and getting all over.

Time to secure the tubes with the Gorilla Glue / Wood Glue blend. I used a 80 / 20 mix of Gorilla Glue / Elmer's Wood Glue. The wood glue acts as an activator and it will want to start foaming right away. Mix up the glue until it looks like honey butter. Cover the glass tubes in the fuse (you don't have to use too much as it will foam up (a lot). Just cover the tube.

After the glue foams up and sets for about 45 minutes to an hour, use your long utility blade to cut the foam glue flush with the fuse. You will want to do this before it is totally dry as it will be much harder to cut if you wait too long.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:00 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Attaching the aluminum motor mount plate in the tail. The aluminum has been milled out and also roughed up so that glue will stick well to the parts. The design looks super solid an well thought out.

When doing the motor mount, it is important to mask the inner holes so that glue does not get onto the section where the other motor mount parts will be attached.
Use a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue / Wood glue on all the parts and place some weight on top. Watch the parts so that they stay in place and don't slide when drying.

After the Motor Mount is dry, you can then add the 2 white glass strips to the top of the fuselage -- just like the ones on the bottom. Start from the front and as it dries finish up down to the tail. This will also secure the top motor mount foam to the plane as well.

Last edited by Qrome; Aug 16, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:06 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Add the black glass tubes into the wings.

Use masking tape to close the tube ends that will go deep into the wing. This will prevent glue from getting into the tube and blocking the CF wing joiner from reaching all the way out to the tip.

Tack the tubes secure in place using thick CA and ensure they are flush and snug with the bottom of the slot.

Apply the Gorilla Glue / Wood Glue mix as before and cut off excess before it is fully dry.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:09 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
At this point I am ready to start checking placement of components and making servo lead holes. Here is a test fit of the wings and fins -- it fit perfect!

The wing will be gap filled, sanded, and painted before lamination.

Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:06 AM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,602 Posts
Wow superb pics and info, makes me wanna buy one now!
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ritewing Z3 S build
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:23 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,677 Posts
Excellent build thread, keep sharing those pictures and tips.
I want one!
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:01 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Nice build thread Dave. Are you putting any LED lighting in the molded strip light channels?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:36 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Nice build thread Dave. Are you putting any LED lighting in the molded strip light channels?
Thanks Chris, I have been contemplating adding some lights in the leading edge channels.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:49 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Due to some private messages with some good questions, I will address the answer here. I will also include some of the information up in the first post.

Items used to complete the build:
- Gorilla Glue
- Elmer's Wood Glue
- Thick CA
- Activator (kicker)
- Hobby Pins
- Hobby blades/knife
- Sand Paper (120)
- Palm Sander
- Hotwire cutter (Soldering Gun with copper wire) Harbor Freight

Items Not included in the base kit:
- Ritewing RC 1300kv Spade Motor
- 85A Turnigy ESC with 5A BEC
- APC 8x6E Prop
- DragonLink Rx
- 5000mAh 4S packs
- Ruby (or something else for Flight Control System) - undecided
- Ritewing clear Lamination
- Ritewing metal Gear Servos
- Control Rod and Control horn kit (Ritewing)
- 600tvl Sony Super HAD II with 2.1mm lens (flight camera)
- Mobius (A and B lens) for flight recording black box
- Ritewing Mobius Mount for Z3 Spade

I will update the list as items come up.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:06 PM
Heavy lifter
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Oct 2012
73 Posts
Super helpful. Thank you!
stevemaller is offline Find More Posts by stevemaller
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:55 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
I am amazed by the amount of Private Messages I get from this thread. If you have questions, please post them here and I or someone will more easily be able to address your questions. I have been asked by a few where to buy the Z3 Spade -- currently it is not listed publicly on the Ritewing RC website, but you can check out the Purchase thread over on FPVLab:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....urchase-thread

I will update the first post with this link as well. When it is available on Ritewing RC website, I will update the post. Thanks!

Feel free to ask questions here.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:07 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Ron and Chris made a great video yesterday giving a detailed overview of the Z3 Spade. Check it out. I will resume my build in the next few days as time permits.

Ritewing Z3 S over view (15 min 3 sec)
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:48 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,602 Posts
Cutting my spars. Make sure you use a good respirator when cutting glass and CF. You guys all know that.
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ritewing Z3 S build