HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:05 AM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Question
Delta Ray owners: Anyone fly without landing gear?

I was considering removing the landing gear but wanted to know if anyone has had problems with CG or prop damage? I almost always fly in grassy fields and I've knocked off the front gear several times on landing. I don't know if I'm inviting prop damage if I land on the belly, even if I cut power right before I touch down.
Rando90210 is offline Find More Posts by Rando90210
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2014
257 Posts
There's a promotional video about the Delta Ray on youtube which shows a belly landing with no apparent harm to the props. I have heard of others recommending belly landing in long grass (to act as a kind of cushion) which makes good sense.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:41 AM
My everything hurts
United States, AZ, Bisbee
Joined Sep 2013
163 Posts
I have a Delta Ray with about 120 flights on it. I have not had to replace any of the props. The key, whether belly landing or not is that as soon as your plane is on the ground you kill the throttle.
waywardson is offline Find More Posts by waywardson
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:44 AM
United States, OK, Bristow
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
i am on my 2nd Delta Ray
My first one was given to me and had no landing gear and I had no problem with belly landing but did use reinforced packing tape on the belly
The second one had landing gear but they are so fragile and broke in just a couple of landings so i took them off and put packing tape on like before.I land on lawn grass as well as pasture grass. The nose has broken off of both planes so get some medium ca and some epoxy to glue the nose back on
as to cg there has been no problem as I just move my battery around for the wind conditions.
RonGB is offline Find More Posts by RonGB
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:54 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,786 Posts
You can slow a DR down so much that flopping it onto grass won't be an issue at all and won't damage anything.

Even if you ding the props a bit it'll be alright. I'm still flying my DR with 200+ flights on it with the stock props that it left the box with. They have dings and nicks in them and they still work great.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jun 19, 2014, 01:35 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
Damaging a propeller on grass isn't an easy thing to do, especially if you cut the throttle moments before you touch down. You should be fine so long as you remember to kill the throttle before you land
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 19, 2014, 05:22 PM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Rimini
Joined Nov 2004
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Damaging a propeller on grass isn't an easy thing to do, especially if you cut the throttle moments before you touch down. You should be fine so long as you remember to kill the throttle before you land
+1 I always kill the throttle before landing
alfiosca is offline Find More Posts by alfiosca
Old Jun 21, 2014, 08:32 AM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiosca View Post
+1 I always kill the throttle before landing
+1
also read as:
Always kill the throttle when making contact with the ground.
AJ.K is offline Find More Posts by AJ.K
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:04 PM
rcnova
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Jul 2009
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.K View Post
+1
also read as:
Always kill the throttle when making contact with the ground.
to state the obvious - if the prop strikes the ground with power on, then the stopped prop/motor with power on can quickly burn out the motor.
Nova - K is offline Find More Posts by Nova - K
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:33 PM
Stupid Model...
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
79 Posts
Rando,

I have been flying my Delta Ray for a while now without the landing gear simply because it looks cleaner in the air. I belly land her in a field of rather short grass (MAYBE a half an inch tall) and she does fine. As far as prop damage, like everyone above has said, as long as you chop your throttle shortly before touching down, you shouldn't have any damage to you props.
Just make sure that both skid plates are glue on tight! My front skid has come off twice with the factory glue .. But some foam-safe CA takes care of it.

Good luck flying!
The_LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge