HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2013, 04:03 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Couldn't agree more with SD, the colour scheme works very well. Best of luck with the maiden.

Thanks again for the tip on using masking tape to help shape the wing, helped me get a much better profile with the Tadpole wing.

Cheers
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
3 weeks have gone by and the work schedule and weather haven't given me a good day to maiden the Simplex. I did have it at the flying field once but the wind was directly from behind the pilot station and blowing about 10+ mph with random gusts so I opted not to fly anything that day. While I was at the field I fired up the Medallion and checked operation of the throttle sleeve. It's a crude but effective throttle and the engine responded well to the sleeves movement. I'd forgotten the bark the little .049 has, it was good to hear it again.

Hopefully I'll get a decent day soon and can get this model up in the air.

Mark
edalpoe is online now Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
Flight Report:

The wind was mild and coming towards the pilot stations plus clear blue sky with just a few clouds. It was the best weather I'd seen all month so today was the day. Only 3 or 4 other flyers at the field when I got there in the late morning and I opted to test fly a big foamie glider that I'd been given. A couple of short hops with that to test it and confirm it will fly but needs work on the rudder authority. I put that aside and set up the Simplex, filled the tank with 25% nitro, turned on the radio and made sure everything wiggled and in the right directions, hooked up the glow plug leads to the flite box power panel and to the glow plug. Commenced flipping the prop over and nothing, not even a single pop. I knew it had fuel because I'd pressurized the overflow line and watched the venturi fill with fuel. It should have at least popped. After a minute or so of flipping the prop instead of thinking, I stopped to ponder the matter. Upon inspection, it was found some un-named person had neglected to turn up the power to the glow plug so it was dead cold. Oops. After properly adjusting the glow plug power the Cox Medallion fired up in short order and the throttle, rudder and elevator were rechecked again. Everything looked good so it was time. Transmitter in my right hand, Simplex in the left, a toss that didn't go straight out as intended but a little up and to the left instead, the Simplex was flying. The rudder and elevator turned out comfortably responsive and with a couple of control inputs, the model was heading straight out with a very gentle climb. At this point I was smiling. The Simplex was going to be okay, the little solid wing was carrying the airplane and the Medallion had more than enough power to pull it along at a good clip. After a few turns and more climbing I reached a good altitude and reduced the throttle. The engine got much quieter and the plane slowed down some but I found it was maintaining altitude at minimum throttle. I flew circuits and figure 8s at various throttle settings, gave it a few clicks of down trim and also rudder trim. I was happy with the way it was flying, at low throttle it just cruised around with it's red and white colors contrasting nicely with the blue sky. After six or so minutes I started to wonder if filling the tank was wise after all. Questions like: How long is it going to run? Should I fly it down low and try to kiss the ground with it if its still running in 5 minutes? In a couple more minutes the engine quit and the plane made a brisk decent to the ground. Again it was nice to find good control response with the power off. A good belly landing on the field with bit of flare (sorry Phil G, I had to do it! ) to minimize the impact ....... Success!

I made 3 more flights with the Simplex and had a great time with it. An excellent day all in all. Hopefully in the future I can get some in flight photos and possibly video. I just got a new camera yesterday and need to learn how to use it.

Thanks again Sundancer for organizing the Brit plan contest. I've enjoyed my build, today's flying and have definitely enjoyed reading all the other builds.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,900 Posts
Good to hear of a successful conclusion edalpoe, obviously the model has justified the effort of building it, and I'll bet you are going to have lots of fun with this one, well done.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2013, 11:47 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,114 Posts
The Simplex Aeromodeller is up in half an hour
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aero-Model...item232aeebf1b
no plan though
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g
Old May 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,114 Posts
Model, tranny, can of diesel

Just got back from the park, had a brilliant evening with the single channel Simplex, the Cox diesel was a bit temperamental to get started but I'm so wary of flooding it (apparently they bend rods easily) but anyway had 3 really good flights, needed 1/32 packing under the wing LE as it was a bit underelevated for my liking. First flight had Mr Stouffer's recommended 1/8" each way rudder travel, which turned out to be tosh, raised the rudder cage up a few degrees and it responds really well now. Its quite fast, and it rolls well but I didnt manage a full loop, stalling out at about 11 o'clock (rudder only remember). Just before the top of the loop it drops the left wing violently as it stalls. Glides very well once its settled into a fast glide speed.
I had a great time, chucking it around but had a couple of short walks on landing, I'd rather let it settle itself in rather than try to turn it too close to the ground even if that means a walk.
Anyway chuffed to bits, walking to collect it from the 3rd landing (which was a proper greaser) this dog walker who'd been watching came over and asked "whats wrong with it?" "why does it keep doing that?" so I had to explain the whole story... nice bloke though and a nice dog (American Bulldog).
On the fourth attempt with the Cox the signs were that the teflon disk had gone again so I flew the old faithful Sharky a few times, seeing how low it could roll without re-kitting and flying low, tight control-line circles.... brilliant fun!
Isnt it great to have light evenings again!
Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; May 19, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
Great to read your exploits with your Simplex Phil. Sounds like you had a good day of flying. The Sharkface looks like fun also. I'm thinking of it as a future project. WarrenB's Sharkface build has really peaked my interest in this model and I'm looking forward to his flight report.

No additional flights on my Simplex thus far, hopefully soon though.

Mark
Old May 21, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
Skipped work today (vacation day) and took the Simplex to the flying field this morning. Unfortunately no one else was there but I took a risk and shot some video while flying.

Simplex May 21 2013 (2 min 33 sec)

Youtube seems to degrade the video, and you can't see the model all the time but you'll hear it and see it some of the time. When I watch the original file on my pc, I can see the airplane the entire time. I've got some learning to do about shooting video. First lesson was: have someone else do the camera work! Shot the video on the first flight which was too busy to enjoy. The second flight was fun, did a couple of easy loops and barrel rolls in the midst of just zooming around the sky. I flew a couple of other airplanes also and then called it a day as it was hot and I'd run out of drinking water.

Mark
Old May 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,114 Posts
Quick isnt it!
Old May 21, 2013, 08:57 PM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
Yes it is. I imagine a Sharkface would fly in a similar manner.
Old May 22, 2013, 02:16 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,687 Posts
Oi!!!! Can you keep the noise down out there???? I've just moved in next door, and I'm going to get your club field shut down!!!!!

Flies well - looks like it could be very exciting! Oh, and respect is due to you for flying and using a video camera at the same time!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 23, 2013, 07:31 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Does fly well and has a nice glide too, but the noise! I'd forgotten just how noisy a small 2 stroke can be. Anyone want to buy a DC Wasp?!!!!

Cheers
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old May 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Dale View Post
Does fly well and has a nice glide too, but the noise! I'd forgotten just how noisy a small 2 stroke can be. Anyone want to buy a DC Wasp?!!!!

Cheers
Ian
Yes! Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old May 23, 2013, 09:53 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,900 Posts
Yep, I used to love the noise of a TD049 at full scream, but when I turned the sound up on that video I was amazed, it made me realise just why I only fly electric now. No wonder the clubs I belonged to in the old days had problems keeping flying fields.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member