HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Discussion
Good people to buy LIPO's from

Bought two 4S 2500ma LIPO's from MotionRC. Went to balance charge them (at 2.0 amps) and the first one got really hot and puffed. The second one did fine so I emailed the seller to inform of my problem. They got back to me and said they would ship a replacement out right away with a paid return shipping label to return the puffed one. Got the new one today and it balance charged properly and sent the bad one back to the seller. Great customer service and super fast reasonable shipping. I highly recommend them.

Vince
302 Z28 is offline Find More Posts by 302 Z28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:34 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,371 Posts
Glad to hear that your pack was replaced. You indeed received great customer service.

Note that the condition that you described (pack got hot and puffed during charge) is nearly always due to overcharging that results from an issue with the charger or charge settings rather than any problem with the battery being charged. What charger are you using and have you verified with a DMM of known accuracy that your charger is not charging beyond 4.2 volts per cell?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:20 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Glad to hear that your pack was replaced. You indeed received great customer service.

Note that the condition that you described (pack got hot and puffed during charge) is nearly always due to overcharging that results from an issue with the charger or charge settings rather than any problem with the battery being charged. What charger are you using and have you verified with a DMM of known accuracy that your charger is not charging beyond 4.2 volts per cell?

Mark
Thanks for the feedback. I am using a Bantam BC6 and I was charge/balancing a 4S 2500ma 30C pack at 2.0 amps. The measured voltage during charge is 16.8v. I have used this charger for over year with no problems and this pack was the very first that I had a problem with.

Appreciate your comments
Vince
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:05 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,371 Posts
I've no doubt that your pack was likely charged to 16.8 volts. However, I'm fairly certain that this was not evenly distributed and you had a cell or cells that went well above 4.2 volts as the condition that occurred is next to impossible without overcharging.

Highly recommend that you check individual cell voltages after charging to ensure that your charger is working correctly and is properly calibrated.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I've no doubt that your pack was likely charged to 16.8 volts. However, I'm fairly certain that this was not evenly distributed and you had a cell or cells that went well above 4.2 volts as the condition that occurred is next to impossible without overcharging.

Highly recommend that you check individual cell voltages after charging to ensure that your charger is working correctly and is properly calibrated.

Mark
Will do, thanks Mark.

Vince