SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:01 AM
bookneeeye
Guest
n/a Posts
Evader ST and Hitec Servos

Well I tried to put in a hitec servo and found out the Evaders steering horn
wont fit the output shaft of a Hitec servo. Looked around but havent found
that Duratrax makes any other than the stock Futaba one.

Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??

Maybe the one for the LosiXXT will fit ? Doesnt Losi make them that fit
Futaba, Hitec and JR servos ?

Thanks




Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:01 AM
kenji
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

In article <G9qib.745944$YN5.700060@sccrnsc01>,
"bookneeeye" <bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??


No.

A servo horn is a pretty common part, and any hobby store carrying RC
cars and parts should have a horn that fits a hitec servo.

servo horns aren't branded by Duratrax.

Each different company of servo manufacturer makes a slightly different
kinda horn. You need one to fit a hitec.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 04:01 AM
MikeF
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

The part on the left?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAMV8&P=Z

Can you rig the servo horn that came with the servo to work? it appears that the duratrax
piece has a bit of an offset. Is that necessary even?
Hehe...if it doesnt work out, how much you want for that servo? 8)



"bookneeeye" <bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:G9qib.745944$YN5.700060@sccrnsc01...
> Well I tried to put in a hitec servo and found out the Evaders steering horn
> wont fit the output shaft of a Hitec servo. Looked around but havent found
> that Duratrax makes any other than the stock Futaba one.
>
> Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??
>
> Maybe the one for the LosiXXT will fit ? Doesnt Losi make them that fit
> Futaba, Hitec and JR servos ?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>



Old Oct 14, 2003, 04:01 AM
bookneeeye
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

Well I ask this question because the horn isnt straight like one used in an
airplane. Its bent or "offset" so this may make it hard to find a suitable
replacement.
Does anyone know if the Losi ones are the same or at least close ??

Thanks


"kenji" <yobubba@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:yobubba-60998D.01552213102003@news.ftupet.com...
> In article <G9qib.745944$YN5.700060@sccrnsc01>,
> "bookneeeye" <bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??

>
> No.
>
> A servo horn is a pretty common part, and any hobby store carrying RC
> cars and parts should have a horn that fits a hitec servo.
>
> servo horns aren't branded by Duratrax.
>
> Each different company of servo manufacturer makes a slightly different
> kinda horn. You need one to fit a hitec.



Old Oct 14, 2003, 04:01 AM
bookneeeye
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

Yes the part on the left. Is there something about that size out there made
for the Hitec output shaft ?


"MikeF" <vanning@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ECGdnd2KBJTj4heiXTWJhQ@comcast.com...
> The part on the left?
> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAMV8&P=Z
>
> Can you rig the servo horn that came with the servo to work? it appears

that the duratrax
> piece has a bit of an offset. Is that necessary even?
> Hehe...if it doesnt work out, how much you want for that servo? 8)
>
>
>
> "bookneeeye" <bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:G9qib.745944$YN5.700060@sccrnsc01...
> > Well I tried to put in a hitec servo and found out the Evaders steering

horn
> > wont fit the output shaft of a Hitec servo. Looked around but havent

found
> > that Duratrax makes any other than the stock Futaba one.
> >
> > Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??
> >
> > Maybe the one for the LosiXXT will fit ? Doesnt Losi make them that fit
> > Futaba, Hitec and JR servos ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>



Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:01 AM
Dreamscape
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:56:56 GMT, "bookneeeye"
<bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes the part on the left. Is there something about that size out there =

made
>for the Hitec output shaft ?



As far as i know (and I'm not certain of this), the two standards for
servo horns/output shafts are Futaba (19-tooth spline) and Hitec et al
(21-tooth spline). The numbers might be arse about. Either way, you
can see why the two arent compatible.

As far as the "part on the left" goes, that would be supremely easy to
duplicate using a standard Hitec (or compatible) servo arm. Get a
soldering iron with a fine tip, or a 2 or 3 inch nail held in
long-nose pliers, get the iron up to running temp or heat the nail
over a gas hotplate (cooktop) 'til the metal turns blue (you dont want
it glowing red, thats entirely too much heat), then use the iron/nail
to heat a narrow strip across the servo horn. dont TOUCH the plastic
- get the iron/nail a mm or so from the plastic, but no closer or
youll just scorch it. heat it 'til the plastic turns plastic (ie soft
- you know what i mean), gently push it against a table or whatever to
bend it to the shape you want, and hold it there for a good minute to
let it completely cool and resolidify (it'll just spring back
otherwise). then move to the other end of the arm and do the same to
put the opposing bend in the arm. start with an oversize (even if
only slightly) arm, coz by putting that kink in it, youre going to
effectively short it very slightly. prolly not enough to matter, but
you never know. you might wanna use the largest/thickest/most solid
servo arm you can find, too - bending plastic like that *does* weaken
it a little, and the blue Duratrax arm does look pretty well braced
(ie side webs, not just a flat plate/strip, as with most servo
horns/arms).

second most important warning: practice on scraps of styrene or other
plastic first - plastic bending/welding is an art that requires
practice: your first attempts *will* fail. with practice, however,
you *will* prevail.

first most important warning: watch your fingers! ;-) (sorbalene
cream is THE best salve for minor burns - trust me on that

hope this helped

*DS*

---
standard anti-spam measures taken
email sundevil ... at ... iprimus , com , au
to contact me privately
sorry for the inconvenience
---
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:01 AM
dg
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

I too drive an Evader ST. I wonder if you guys had the same problem I did.
When I installed my steering servo, the ball cup and steering horn was too
high and would not allow the servo to steer, as the ball cup would contact
the plastic X cover that goes over the steering mechanism. I had to take
the steering horn and ball cup to a grinder to remove a little plastic. I
thought it was strange, since this truck is for entry level drivers. All is
well now.

--Dan

"bookneeeye" <bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:G9qib.745944$YN5.700060@sccrnsc01...
> Well I tried to put in a hitec servo and found out the Evaders steering

horn
> wont fit the output shaft of a Hitec servo. Looked around but havent

found
> that Duratrax makes any other than the stock Futaba one.
>
> Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??
>
> Maybe the one for the LosiXXT will fit ? Doesnt Losi make them that fit
> Futaba, Hitec and JR servos ?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>



Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:01 AM
Old Bill
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Evader ST and Hitec Servos

I am using a Hitec hi-torque metal gear steering servo on my Nitro Evader
ST. I use an aluminum servo arm that fits the Hitec and turn it around so
its close to the same position as the stock. The result is a connection that
is at an angle, but works just fine. I haven't had any steering, or servo
problems since doing this and I run on a track with many big jumps.


"bookneeeye" <bookneeeye(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:G9qib.745944$YN5.700060@sccrnsc01...
> Well I tried to put in a hitec servo and found out the Evaders steering

horn
> wont fit the output shaft of a Hitec servo. Looked around but havent

found
> that Duratrax makes any other than the stock Futaba one.
>
> Am I stuck using Futaba servos ??
>
> Maybe the one for the LosiXXT will fit ? Doesnt Losi make them that fit
> Futaba, Hitec and JR servos ?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>



 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale JR ST 125MG servos and NES 537's for HITEC 645's DbleX Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Dec 04, 2005 03:13 PM
Hitec Servos for Logo 10? Inverted-3D Electric Heli Talk 3 Jan 12, 2002 09:50 PM
Hitec servos w/ Futaba reciever Nayr Electric Plane Talk 5 Jul 25, 2001 12:13 PM
best price on hitec servos (hs-55)? mattk17 Parkflyers 7 Jul 21, 2001 04:45 PM
What is the difference between JR and Hitec servos foam_man Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1 Jun 25, 2001 08:38 AM