HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:02 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
I upgraded my 450 (zyx-s) and had to take it out and try. The hover and flight characteristics seemed to be better, but It was getting dark, and I almost put her in because My eyes aren't to good at night.

I Then tried to upgrade the 550(ZYX) and I could not get a connect. I had to power the PC down and restart it. it hung up on power down and I had to hard stop it.

After the restart everything worked and the upgrade went smoothly.

I cant wait to test when I can see.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:35 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Unfortunately it goes back to what we were saying before - FBL works differently to FB.

When you move the cyclic stick you are now telling the FBL unit to give a certain rate of turn, not a specific angle of swash - the FBL unit usually give lots of angle for a short period of time to get the rate of rotation requested. This is one of the reasons why FBL can be much more agile then FB, and why they need better servos.

The way in which it behaves on the bench is very different to how it behaves in the air - you have to forget some of the Flybar based ideas unfortunately
I took the plunge and went ahead to fly it. It was ok, everything was fine. When the bird is in the air, I could feel the big difference between a rate of 100% vs a rate of 70%, even though there are no differences on the bench.

Thanks Mike for your explanation.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:31 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I took the plunge and went ahead to fly it. It was ok, everything was fine. When the bird is in the air, I could feel the big difference between a rate of 100% vs a rate of 70%, even though there are no differences on the bench.
THat's great news mate - realy glad that you are off and flying
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,385 Posts
Yeah Mike! The feeling of flying an FBL 450 heli is so different! I can't put it in words. I need to tweak a little as the tail bounces when I apply rudder. Any ideas?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:25 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
I flew my X5 with the MB v3 today after flying the 500EFL pro with the ZYX v4, and I have to say the ZYX wins overall. I just feel more connected with the ZYX and piro comp is definitely better.

I'm going to compare it with the iKon in the 700 tomorrow. I think this will be the toughest challenge and one I think the ZYX will struggle to match.

FyreSG, reduced your tail D gain and increase the tail decel to 50 or 60. Also try P at 90 after lowering D.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Mar 09, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
FyreSG, reduced your tail D gain and increase the tail decel to 50 or 60. Also try P at 90 after lowering D.
I'll try that later, thanks! I notice that the settings are at Advanced section. What about those at Tail Rotor? Yaw Rate L, Yaw Rate R, and Gain? Are they the same as those in Advanced? Or should I ignore those and tweak those at Advanced?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:50 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I'll try that later, thanks! I notice that the settings are at Advanced section. What about those at Tail Rotor? Yaw Rate L, Yaw Rate R, and Gain? Are they the same as those in Advanced? Or should I ignore those and tweak those at Advanced?
Yes, ignore the front page tail settings. They are just the tail maximum rate and the gain (which should be left at 100 and adjusted in the Tx).

You could try lowering you tail gain in the Tx first to see if the stop bounce stops before your tail becomes too soft/loose.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:41 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
I went to the field and flew 3 packs on the newly updated CX-ZYX v4 on my CopterX 450 Black Angel.

Good news:
- for me, the cyclic feel is significantly improved. It is more responsive, more connected (less robotic). The gyro no longer feels like it resists inputs around center - I managed to fly some of the best piroflips I've ever done on the 450 to date. It feels like they added a feed forward gain (perhaps that's what the new advanced parameter is).
- slow piros are definitely more stable than 3.5. However, as beenflying was writing, piro comp seems to fade on fast piros after 4-5 full revs and significant cyclic inputs are required to regain a flat attitude.

Bad news:
- the pitch-up in FFF is still present. It's is a lot less abrupt and violent than 3.5, but still does it.
- Multiple barrel rolls in FFF still result in a pronounced nose-up tendency
- Looks like they made some changes to the gain algorithms, because I kept getting minor head wobble when the disk was unloaded, and subtle tail wag in FFF. Slight gain reductions may be required.

All in all, I really dig the new and improved cyclic feel. Next up, I'm going to upgrade the ZYX on my Protos, and that will be a real test of what v4 can do.

Collective is right about 11.5. I tried going higher, and the improvements were minimal. However, I like less pitch because it allows me to be more precise in 3D moves.
Interesting review. Thanks!
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:46 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,385 Posts
Quote:
FyreSG, reduce your tail D gain and increase the tail decel to 50 or 60. Also try P at 90 after lowering D.
I went through the definitions of the advanced settings, and I'd like to clarify the reason behind reducing tail D gain but increasing tail decel to 50/60, and increasing P gain to 90.

From the definition, lowering tail D gain would stop the bounce. It is currently at "25".

From the definition of Tail Decel L and R, lowering these values would also stop the bounce. They are currently set at "25". I'm wondering if I should lower them in conjunction with lowering tail D gain, to stop the bounce.
Last edited by FyreSG; Mar 09, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:44 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,370 Posts
Quote:
I flew my X5 with the MB v3 today after flying the 500EFL pro with the ZYX v4, and I have to say the ZYX wins overall. I just feel more connected with the ZYX and piro comp is definitely better.

I'm going to compare it with the iKon in the 700 tomorrow. I think this will be the toughest challenge and one I think the ZYX will struggle to match.

Thats saying alot BF....So pretty much you can hover almost hands free with the Tarot and have better piros?
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:28 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,849 Posts
Looking forward to trying the V4.0 firmware on my CX-ZYX. It really would be something if a $30 controller could equal or surpass a BeastX! By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings! (Galaxy Quest reference! )
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:31 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,136 Posts
WOW

Just got back from trying V4 and WOW

A good product just got much better ... as Dr M says you can still get it to do the funny pitching up thing if you try (Idle 2 about 3,150HS at the bottom of big loops) but not as badly or as easily (though I haven't tried it in the wind yet which was the worse.

The really good news however is the general feel and extra stability - I took it up high and piro-ed till it wandered - about 10, and then came down to about 10m off the ground and put it into a nice hover - thumb off the cyclic for a count of 20 (about 20 seconds) before it had started to drift over my head - about 5m from where it started.

I didn't change any of the parameters between v3.5 and v4 - perhaps some tweaking will improve the FFFF twitchyness, but overall a very worthwhile improvement.

As good as a Beastx - dunno, but absolutely fantastic value for money
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:00 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
A big thanks from me too BF, set my tail, P=90, D=20, decell L=50,R=50 .

Tail wag is gone, I couldnt get the last bit out of it with the Tx, but now its gone

Now I'll try the v4 download.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:20 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,849 Posts
I used BF's tail settings on my 450, and they seemed to work really well. Lately, they seemed not so good - but then I realised I was using my other CX, still with the CX firmware!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:57 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Well crap, I cant unzip the v4.0 RAR file and the online sites want money for that...

Apparently my FDM isnt capable with RAR
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse