HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Low battery %

Interesting that both times the servo failed with low-battery voltage. It's possible that these servos need a lot of juice to keep them motivated, so to speak. I'll have to check mine with a low battery to see whether I get the same results.
I have the BNF and, after reading about those motor-mount failures, I ordered the one from Terry, whose info was on one of the threads.

Have safe trip back to OZ.
Fw 190 fan is offline Find More Posts by Fw 190 fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:34 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
From a conversation I had with the a Eflite rep, it sounds like the excess vibration is coming form unbalanced prop/hub. Have balanced props, but have no clue what balancing a hub means or how you would go about doing it.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Balanced Carbon-Z Yak-54 prop

Mine looks as though it was sanded on the back side to balance it. But, I had planned to double-check this before I fired it up.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hungary
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
Mine also hit Terra Firma in a bad way The elevator servo jammed and I had no control at all. Actually it was the 2nd time I crached it but now it was obvious what was the culprit.Thx e-flite that I could spent 250Euro for a piece of .....Being a Europian I"m not as lucky as the US guys, I wont get any replacement from Horyzon. Still thinking about what to do.....repair it or simply burn it up
george2 is offline Find More Posts by george2
Last edited by george2; Mar 12, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:38 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
George, is there any chance that you reversed a servo AFTER you followed the exact instructions for programming the throws for the plane? Just wondering if they may be accidentally over clocked.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
Guys, I contacted horizon about a servo I had that uncommanded would go to full deflection and stay there, had to disconnect several times and re connect to get it to start functioning. Even sent them video of it.
They sent me a replacement and when I went to swap it I was surprised.

The servo that came with the plane had a 12" lead, the replacement one is only about 3" and will require and extension. I checked there site to see if they sent me the wrong servo and I see they have a servo extension kit listed for the plane.

I wonder if they have updated servos (the new ones have the short leads)??
Anyone else experience this?
Thanks
99grandtouring is offline Find More Posts by 99grandtouring
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
leads

Not yet, but will take a look.
Received the motor mount from Terry and will be using that rather than the stock.

Watched a friend of mine fly his today, and on the touchdown, the elevator pushrod came undone and he must have hit the tip of the left elevator, as that snapped at the spot that is supposed to strengthen that surface. Those fiberglass inserts are a waste of engineering effort.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:11 AM
Hungary
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
George, is there any chance that you reversed a servo AFTER you followed the exact instructions for programming the throws for the plane? Just wondering if they may be accidentally over clocked.

No....I"ve been flying this bird since december,not programmed anything in the Tx since then.Well,I"m sure I won"t buy their new Hurricane Hawker wich we wanted to purchase- my friends too-its going to use the same underrated electrics-esc.servos.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:00 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george2 View Post
No....I"ve been flying this bird since december,not programmed anything in the Tx since then.Well,I"m sure I won"t buy their new Hurricane Hawker wich we wanted to purchase- my friends too-its going to use the same underrated electrics-esc.servos.
What I was suggesting would have happened when you programmed the rx originally and may not have created an immediate problem. The manual states that one of the first things you should do after binding is set the control surface travel. It's specific about doing this before setting dual rates. It doesn't say anything about reversing switches prior to setting throws if you need to.

So hypothetically, if you programmed 140% up elevator and 110% down elevator on the travel adjust in order to get the recommended 48-50mm travel and THEN reversed the elevator servo (which I think you have to do on all DX7's, but should be done prior to adjusting travels) then you would end up getting 30% MORE travel above the 48-50mm. This may not instantly create a problem, but over time could over work the servo.

As for the rest of the electrics in the plane, I have not had any problems or heard of many with the ESC or the RX. Someone did say they had the elevator servo dislodge from the RX theoretically because the RX is mounted upside down. I'm also pretty convinced that the breaking motor mounts and vibrations is due to a really crappy inconsistent eflite prop. They are next to impossible to properly balance in the hub and blades.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:15 AM
Hungary
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
(which I think you have to do on all DX7's, but should be done prior to adjusting travels) then you would end up getting 30% MORE travel above the 48-50mm. This may not instantly create a problem, but over time could over work the servo.

As for the rest of the electrics in the plane, I have not had any problems or heard of many with the ESC or the RX. Someone did say they had the elevator servo dislodge from the RX theoretically because the RX is mounted upside down. I'm also pretty convinced that the breaking motor mounts and vibrations is due to a really crappy inconsistent eflite prop. They are next to impossible to properly balance in the hub and blades.
I"m flying the Yak by Futaba T10 and 6014 Rx.No Spektrum stuffs are allowed in my Hangar.I saw too much problems with that brand.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:11 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Not the point I was making. Futaba, JR, Spek, Tactic...whatever. If you set your travel adjust and then use a reversing switch...The potential for overclocking the servo would exist. Not saying it's your fault the servo failed, I just want to understand what is causing the servos to fail; especially on the elevator. To me, what I mentioned above seems to be one of the most logical possibilities so far.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hungary
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
Not the point I was making. Futaba, JR, Spek, Tactic...whatever. If you set your travel adjust and then use a reversing switch...The potential for overclocking the servo would exist. Not saying it's your fault the servo failed, I just want to understand what is causing the servos to fail; especially on the elevator. To me, what I mentioned above seems to be one of the most logical possibilities so far.
I don"t have to use a reversing switch to adjust servo traveling at Futaba T10
Bwy,I used 75% of the rec. travel on the elevator.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
I finally had a small accident with my Yak. Only cosmetic and due to just plane dumb piloting. Not even in flight. After a great flight, with confidence now that all the elctrical components are changed. I was taxiing back from the far end of the runway in gusty winds and the the model lfted and flipped grinding off the top of the cowling. Man that foam disintergrates !!!!. I'm looking for a neat way to repair and beautify again.

Anyway the point of the post is that I provided the link here to the Australian distributer so I hope we see some input and suggestions. At my club, which is very small, there are 2 purchasers holding off due to electric concerns not helped by an E-Fite ESC failing in an unrelated model. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
Which way is it blowing?
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2009
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Sloper View Post
Horizon wrote back to me and asked me to return the plane to them for inspection. I shipped it back to them yesterday in a much smaller box than the one it arrived in.
I would imagine they will send me a replacement under warranty...I hope.
I will provide an update as soon as I know.
Yesterday, I received a courtesy replacement aircraft from Horizon Hobbies for which I'm grateful.
During setup, using my Futaba 2.4 system, this one seems to have a lot of servo buzzing at rudder and elevator.
I plan to do a thorough pre-flight prior to the maiden and hope the noise doesn't affect performance.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again to Horizon.
SF Sloper is offline Find More Posts by SF Sloper
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:58 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
Well done Horizon !!
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz