New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2013, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by billmod12
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Discussion
Skylark 56

Hello everyone! Fortunately I have found a 90% built vintage Skylark 56. It has 2 complete well built wings with excellent covering, NON aileron, stock dihedral. I would like to add ailerons to one of the wings. I do not see any comments on the plan about reducing dihedral when adding ailerons. What has been your experience with this on the Skylark. Gentle vintage relaxed flying with a few loops and maybe a sloppy roll or two will be my goal. Thanks Bill
billmod12 is offline Find More Posts by billmod12
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2013, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by ukengineman
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Apr 2011
161 Posts
The Astro Hog is a low winger with lots of dihedral and responds OK to ailerons. With your relaxed flying objective in mind I think you will be fine.
Alan
ukengineman is offline Find More Posts by ukengineman
Old May 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
pd1
Find More Posts by pd1
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,223 Posts
My first Skylark was in 1966, it didn't have ailerons.
It also didn't turn well either.
I added ailerons and it was a great flyer. I've had a lot of Skylarks through the years and all had ailerons and the stock dihedral, not a pattern plan, but a great sport plane.
I liked the Skylark so much that I have a few nearly repaired ones and a new Kit on the shelf.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Last edited by pd1; May 21, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
United States, NJ, Southampton Township
Joined May 2005
2,483 Posts
I suggest you check out the following thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1843803

The gentleman has been building a Skylark from plans, and his work is terrific!
It almost makes me want to build a Skylark (Electric, though).

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old May 23, 2013, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,267 Posts
Several years ago I got one built in 1966 and installed a modern radio with light servos and an OS 25 FP. Without ailerons it turned and rolled very poorly. In my opinion it did not have enough dihedral or fin area to fly well that way.

I put a fence on my scroll saw and set it up so I could cut the trailing edge lengthwise. That gave me pretty narrow ailerons, but it was still a big improvement. The pic shows it before the modification.

I also added some rudder area, but there was still some tail waggle coming out of turns. I moved the CG farther forward to get more side area aft of the CG and less ahead. That made a decent airplane out of it.

It was never my favorite at the flying field, but some people really like them.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait