New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2016, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
2,031 Posts
Considering I can't get it to upright harrier (I blame a lack of control authority and being a bit down on power), I think I'll have to practice with something else first. I'm still getting the hang of inverted rudder control. One thing the Beast does fine is inverted circuits and figure 8's. It's fun for that.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2016, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
........BTW, anybody else 'rank' their UMX planes like that?? Or am I the only one who's nuts?
I do the same thing. And first place is pretty much a tie between the Beast 3D, CC, and Jug - with the Pitts close behind in second. I also agree with you regarding the Yak. It lacks personality in flight. Pretty much the polar opposite of the Beast, CC, and Jug. I didn't even feel bad when HH gave the Yak the axe.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 28, 2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by sperry12
United States, LA, Jena
Joined Jan 2011
273 Posts
Number 1

BEAST!! Add up everything you love about flying an airplane and I guarantee this plane will hold its on in all and bust all the other ones to its limits. There is something about it that NO plane in the UMX to 280 will replace

PS no science to back this up just simple opinion.... Lol
sperry12 is offline Find More Posts by sperry12
Old Feb 01, 2016, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by Oxotnik
Death from Above
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2015
416 Posts
Snuck away from work a little early to grab a few minutes of low-wind daylight. Man! I love flying this plane! Unfortunately, during some of my high-g maneuvering (outside loop, I think), my battery slid forward and threw off the battery hatch. I have no idea where it went. HH doesn't sell the battery hatch by itself any more. I saw on eBay that 2 different model numbers for the fuselage are available. EFLU-4058 and -4858. 4858 is the current fuse for the UMX Beast. I'm thinking that 4058 is for the previous non-AS3X Beast. Does any know if the -4058 fuse (and specifically the battery hatch on it) will fit the AS3X Beast?
Oxotnik is online now Find More Posts by Oxotnik
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
Genesis 50:20
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
14,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik View Post
Snuck away from work a little early to grab a few minutes of low-wind daylight. Man! I love flying this plane! Unfortunately, during some of my high-g maneuvering (outside loop, I think), my battery slid forward and threw off the battery hatch. I have no idea where it went. HH doesn't sell the battery hatch by itself any more. I saw on eBay that 2 different model numbers for the fuselage are available. EFLU-4058 and -4858. 4858 is the current fuse for the UMX Beast. I'm thinking that 4058 is for the previous non-AS3X Beast. Does any know if the -4058 fuse (and specifically the battery hatch on it) will fit the AS3X Beast?
I may have an extra battery hatch from a rebuilt Beast. To answer your question I believe both fuses are the same, with gold paint / decals on the original and silver on the AS3X version. Let me check if I have the hatch when I get home... if I have one, it's yours - I'll send it to you. There's nothing to gain in buying a whole $20+ fuse just for a hatch.

Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 02, 2016, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by Oxotnik
Death from Above
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2015
416 Posts
Quote:
I may have an extra battery hatch from a rebuilt Beast. To answer your question I believe both fuses are the same, with gold paint / decals on the original and silver on the AS3X version. Let me check if I have the hatch when I get home... if I have one, it's yours - I'll send it to you. There's nothing to gain in buying a whole $20+ fuse just for a hatch.

Ben
Ben, I greatly appreciate it! I'll certainly cover the shipping. The old EFLU4058 A/F goes for $5 - $7 on eBay (shipping included); so, that wouldn't break the bank if the hatch would fit the AS3X Beast. If you find your spare hatch, and are willing to part with it, please PM me.

Thanks,
Chuck
Oxotnik is online now Find More Posts by Oxotnik
Old Feb 03, 2016, 01:10 PM
Joined May 2012
14,305 Posts
I forgot to check for the Beast hatch... crud. I'll send myself an email now to look for it when I get home. I had family in town and also had carpet cleaning going on last night and it just slipped my mind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2016, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
1,036 Posts
Quote:
BTW, anybody else 'rank' their UMX planes like that?? Or am I the only one who's nuts?
I have currently the P3 on the first place but have not really a static rank it depends more on weather or location. With much wind the stryker and the EDFs are prefered. With thermal or on a slope ASK, Whipit and the Radian are the best and sometimes simply one plane that i had a long time not flown
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Mar 15, 2016, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
I am thinking about this as my next plane and have a few questions:
-I only recently started flying planes after flying helis for a few years. I need to tame down the Beast until I can get comfortable because so far I have only flown planes with SAFE. I assume I do this with the dual rates but how low can I go on the Beast. Is 70% the lower limit?
-Unfortunately I don't have any batteries for this plane leftover form helis as I did before I bought my other planes. I searched for that and was able to find I can probably use 2s or 3s so I may redo some of my 3s 450's to 2s or put some 1s in series, so I should have that covered.
-What parts should I keep on hand. I don't want to keep any expensive (relatively) parts such as wings/fuselage. But what about firewall, prop adapter, carbon rods etc.

I apologize if these questions have been answered many times and I didn't find them as I did searches and found many answers but this thread is so large it can be hard to nail down.

Thanks
MX48 is online now Find More Posts by MX48
Old Mar 15, 2016, 08:34 AM
Joined May 2012
14,305 Posts
Inline in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I am thinking about this as my next plane and have a few questions:
-I only recently started flying planes after flying helis for a few years. I need to tame down the Beast until I can get comfortable because so far I have only flown planes with SAFE. I assume I do this with the dual rates but how low can I go on the Beast. Is 70% the lower limit? You can configure low rates to whatever you want them to be. 70 isn't a hard lower-limit per se. However if all you've flown is SAFE equipped planes, and you're interested in a biplane, I think the UMX Pitts is a much better choice.
-Unfortunately I don't have any batteries for this plane leftover form helis as I did before I bought my other planes. I searched for that and was able to find I can probably use 2s or 3s so I may redo some of my 3s 450's to 2s or put some 1s in series, so I should have that covered. 3S 450s will likely be too heavy, and not every plane plays nicely with 3S. 2S 450s if you take apart the 3 cell batteries will be OK but likely make it a bit heavy - the Beast really shines when it's kept as light as possible.
-What parts should I keep on hand. I don't want to keep any expensive (relatively) parts such as wings/fuselage. But what about firewall, prop adapter, carbon rods etc. The Beast isn't very tolerant of wrecks...your wings will shred themselves most times. Prop adapters and props might be something to keep on hand. Carbon rods can just be spliced back together and CA'd if you break them. If you're hitting hard enough to screw up a firewall though you're almost definitely going to have much larger problems than a firewall fix. ... So therefore if you're really worried about the crashes, then really take a good look at the UMX Pitts. It's quite a bit sturdier and really flies well.

I apologize if these questions have been answered many times and I didn't find them as I did searches and found many answers but this thread is so large it can be hard to nail down.

Thanks
Hope that helps!
Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2016, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Inline in red

Hope that helps!
Ben
Yes, definitely...now off to the Pitts thread for a few more hours of research, thanks a lot. Joking of course.
Edit: And it's cheaper!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Inline in red

Hope that helps!
Ben
Sounds like you have/had the Pitts. Can you give me the above advice for it also. Sorry to drag this into the Beast thread, if it is a problem I can go over there and post this question.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 03:30 PM
Joined May 2012
14,305 Posts
I do have the Pitts. Everything I wrote still applies, although I believe a Pitts will handle a 450mAh 2S much better than a Beast would. And it's much sturdier in construction. It's a touch easier to fly as well. Low rates will still be to your taste, and I believe 70% is a good starting point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2016, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
I do have the Pitts. Everything I wrote still applies, although I believe a Pitts will handle a 450mAh 2S much better than a Beast would. And it's much sturdier in construction. It's a touch easier to fly as well. Low rates will still be to your taste, and I believe 70% is a good starting point.
Thanks Man
Old Mar 29, 2016, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by John.G
love to fly, hate to crash
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
611 Posts
To much to read through so sorry for this question guys but I just got back one of my beast and have some 3/250 pack and just wondering if it will handle them. It is the newer version and just don't wish to fry the board. Thanks, John
Update to my question:
Ok I was able to find what I was looking for and that is I can use them but should only charge to maybe 90%
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
Last edited by John.G; Mar 29, 2016 at 07:26 PM.