SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2015, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,431 Posts
The helibaby? Riff with tons of issues that never got solved. There are now a couple 5 and 600 sized cp coaxials being marketed out of a few sites with plastic based frames, and their own fbl controllers. I haven't heard from any reliable independent sources how they perform. These days the ave price for any 600 sized reg cp heli can easily hit $2500 using quality components. Just the Sk720 Black and Gps module are 1k, and to my knowledge there are several thousand out there being used on helis from the 250 size on up. We don't want to talk about how much I had to sacrifice to build my 800 and maintain it. As a fairly poor guy living on SSDI, I made some serious choices and lived pretty lean to pull it off. Guys like myself live for those rare 70/80% off sales.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Feb 02, 2015 at 01:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2015, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
12,965 Posts
Hey Luv, Good to see you posting man. I hope you are feeling well these days. Ya know Luv, I just could not get into the big choppers. Don't get me wrong. I still fly my V4, mcX and 120SR. Like you, it was the money graduating up. I'm also disabled with a fixed income. Sucks to be us

Right now, I'm into planks (easy to fix) and,,,...some boating

Got an airboat that screams. Will have vids soon either on snow or water

And a 39" tug. Both boats will be set up for rescue. IE: (If one of our planes go down in the water) Gonna check the air boat out in the snow very soon. It's too deep right now here in Boston

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 02, 2015, 01:32 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
12,965 Posts
I forgot to mention. I'll be setting up my GoPro on the tug. We'll be fishing from her....trolling

Mike.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,524 Posts
You don't need any boats. You and most of us need snow cats of some kind; maybe a tank or two for the yard. According to Down East Dickering( History Channel), that's yad. With all the snow you got, I hope the ca was in the ban, old boy.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 03, 2015, 04:07 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
12,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
You don't need any boats. You and most of us need snow cats of some kind; maybe a tank or two for the yard. According to Down East Dickering( History Channel), that's yad. With all the snow you got, I hope the ca was in the ban, old boy.
Jack, you forgot the "h's."

It's, "pahk ya cah in the Hahvad yahd."

Geez, New Yorker's (not NYC).

Did you know Bostonians and people from NYC can tell each other apart by our accent? To other people we both sound alike...which we don't

Mike.
Old Feb 03, 2015, 08:16 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,524 Posts
Bahston and New Yahk are a little too rich for my blood, boss. Neither place has a decent bahn to put the cahs in. What good are they? On a bad weather day, you need the bahn to fly in too, don't chuh know?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by bhkrause
Crashing Spectacularly daily
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
.... Plans are in the works for a true 700 cp coaxial dual swash Tri rotor.
Makes me want to buy a tabletop machining center and build it with you.

bhkrause is offline Find More Posts by bhkrause
Old Feb 14, 2015, 06:32 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,524 Posts
For what it would cost for something table top, you can buy the equivalent full size mill, lathe, etc. There are plenty of places selling off used equipment. We don't make anything in this country anymore!
Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by bhkrause
Crashing Spectacularly daily
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2013
108 Posts
Jack

You're correct, but they require 3-phase.

Turns out the latest table-top is another toy, looks like it's still $8 grand plus tooling for a decent machine. If I win the lottery LMH may get a knock on his door...
bhkrause is offline Find More Posts by bhkrause
Old Apr 08, 2015, 06:05 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,524 Posts
You can't imagine the technology in this city that is in the toilet. Kodak alone scrapped or sold for cheap millions of dollars worth of manual and CNC tooling. The people who operated all of that stuff weren't any slouches either.
I'm into quads and flanged motor mounts are just about impossible to buy. Simple speed lathe parts and you can't find them reliably.
BTW, anybody still flying their CX2's - when the weather cooperates?
Old Apr 08, 2015, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,431 Posts
I am putting mine back together, but with a Jeti Rx doing the honors instead of my old spectrum equipment. Plus I picked up a horde of aftermarket CX4 stuff dirt cheap this winter, so..... maybe another coax project in the works to do some custom stuff with.

I also looked at the table top cnc stuff. Way too expensive and somewhat still toy like in how inprecise they are. I simply don't have any room for the larger true cnc equipment. I watch Troy's (heilihaven's) build thread like a hawk though.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 06:33 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,524 Posts
Congratulations, Luv. You and maybe three other guys out there bought those p.o.s.! They are grossly underpowered and heat up like crazy. They fall out of the sky within a couple of minutes as the 4-in-ones over heat. We tried to help a couple of guys out to find other motors and whatever, but it didn't work out. I suppose you could use what's there mechanically and then go brushless, but it wouldn't be any different than using a big outdoor lama like guys did a few years ago. The Heli, for all practical purposes is a giant flop!
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,431 Posts
You are correct, and exactly what I predicted when the CX4 was rumored to be coming out. I had already tried a brushless 'stretched' CX3 if you remember using Bol blades. Again, a great reminder of poor gearing, and very poorly designed drive trains. Now in brushless 6s form....... just a toy and another fun build, but using the correct parts.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 06:09 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,524 Posts
Eflite bought back all of the ones people complained about. I'm surprised they are out there for sale - at all.
Old Apr 09, 2015, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,431 Posts
Found a new one for 70% off, but didn't buy it. I did buy a rash of aftermarket upgrade parts that were going for 90% off.