SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2015, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by rvillegachapa
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
Help!
Is the Oldtimer Playboy Pylon legal?

Greetings, I was wondering if someone could tell me if this pylon I built for my electric Playboy is SAM legal. The built is from a kit I purchased from Aveox several years ago? Plans are labeled "The Midway Model Company." Pylon is original size as per the plans, but I have beefed it up with three sandwiched 1/4 inch balsa sort of like the technique used on old Cleveland Playboy plans. Come to think about it I wonder if the kit is SAM Legal to begin with? I am just curious? Thanks in Advance, Roel
rvillegachapa is offline Find More Posts by rvillegachapa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2015, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,365 Posts
The Playboy design is most certainly SAM legal. It depends on what, if any, modifications are done that may remove it from eligibility by the SAM rules. But as I recall the Midway version was just fine for use in SAM events.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Yesterday, 01:47 AM
Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Holy Suffering Dooly, if that breaks there is something dreadfully wrong with your flying. Why does it have to be that thick if your only putting electric in it.?3 pieces of 1/8" balsa is more than ample .
Geoff Potter is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, NJ, North Wildwood
Joined Sep 2008
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter View Post
Holy Suffering Dooly, if that breaks there is something dreadfully wrong with your flying. Why does it have to be that thick if your only putting electric in it.?3 pieces of 1/8" balsa is more than ample .
I wasn't going not say anything but beings you brought it up, yea it's a bit overkill. Legal or not? Depends on the CD at the event but most likely no one is going to bust your chops about it.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,365 Posts
I never opened up the pictures. Now that I have I note that you applied the two outer laminations with the grain going lengthwise. Which means you added all that wood for no reason at all other than to allow you to sand it down to a nice shape. With the grain running that way you didn't actually add any appreciable strength at all.

Hopefully your center lamination has the grain correctly running vertically.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
Greetings, Gentlemen! I am happy to hear my playboy might be sam legal. After thinking about it, I think my current rendetion of the pylon might be overkill! I will go back to the drawing board and start a new one per the plans. Thanks everyone for your generous input! Thanks, Roel
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
941 Posts
I beefed mine up a little after being told it could be a weak point, the way you fit it to the fuselage is also important. It's now as strong as an ox

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=59
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
Would a pylon made out a sheet of hard 1/4'' balsa be strong enough or should I create a laminate of 2 pieces of 1/8' balsa with a 1/16" plywood in the center? If I do create a laminated pylon, how should I run the grain for best strength? Thanks, Roel
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by gossie
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,589 Posts
That way using 3 laminations of 1/8th as per ColinNZ is the way I built my F/F version 20 years ago now.......same as the got lost one in the '80s.
Inside horizontal, outer layers vertical.

It's very important to build it right down into the bottom of the fuselage IMHO.

F/F models get one Hell of a bashing particularly when they arrive under D/T, and mine after probably hundreds of flights is as it was built, just a little used looking.

Great models Playboy Snr's.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
941 Posts
I agree with Gossie on building and fitting pylon, ply or balsa centre would be fine. The only change I made was the depth of the pylon to allow room to fit the RC gear.
My model crashed vertically once from about 60ft with no damage to the pylon so I know it works fine..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=63

This is my build log .... you might find it helpful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072999
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
I use 1/8 " vertical in the centre with vertical ply 2" wide and 1/8"balsa horizontal for the outsides into fuse 1" deep with extra crossmembers at the bottom of the 1" . I think that pylon in the pic above with the Nelson has been in about 4 models over the past 2 years as a development thingy and the model is Playboy no 95. I haven't lost or broken a pylon since model no4 I think ,have broken a few tops off and pulled a few rubber band posts out ,but that's about all
Geoff Potter is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
Here is my second try at my pylon. Everything is per the Midway Models plans. Grain, size etc. Per the plans a 1/2" triangle stock on both top and bottom of pylon will be added once glued. I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks, Roel

That is one amazing pic of your Playboy! Almost vertical! Cool!
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by gossie
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvillegachapa View Post
Here is my second try at my pylon. Everything is per the Midway Models plans. Grain, size etc. Per the plans a 1/2" triangle stock on both top and bottom of pylon will be added once glued. I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks, Roel

That is one amazing pic of your Playboy! Almost vertical! Cool!
Sorry, but I think that's a bit of a worry.
What's the pylon going to hang onto??????????
It really does need to go right down into the bottom of the fuselage, with the front glued to the inside of the firewall, and the rear of it glued to a former built into the box, and well glued onto the spacers etc. on the bottom.
I even notched my pylon on the bottom to fit onto and into the spacers and onto the bottom sheeting.

Thanks for the complement on mine.........It has an old Fox 35 in it.
Couple of years ago I did try a Green Head Torp. 35 in it, but I like the way it flew with the Fox better.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie