Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by Jugdriver
United States, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2011
58 Posts
Help!
Futaba 12FG Motor Programing

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me with programming my Futaba 12FG motor function. To be honest it is a bit silly because I just want to do a simple on/off with the SG switch but not use the 2 speeds that are the standard for the motor function, unfortunately as usual Futaba's manual is absolutely no help.

In short I want the SG switch to turn the motor on (full power) when it is in the up position (forward) and to turn the motor off when it is in the middle and/or down (back) position.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks

Matt
Jugdriver is offline Find More Posts by Jugdriver
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by glover
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
613 Posts
In LINKAGE.FUNCTION assign Thr to switch.Sx. When Sx is flipped, Thr is on. You just have to set the ON/OFF value as you desire. Switch must be a two position one.

Note that the above solution only works when using a two-position switch like SF or SH. I use either of those two switches for motor ON/OFF as both are spring-loaded ones on my TX (factory modified for me). If you choose to use a three position switch for throttle activation, then you need an OFFSET mix in addition to changing the LINKAGE.FUNCTION setting for throttle.

Go to MODEL.PROG.MIXES and change an unused mix's MODE to OFFSET, then on the same mix line click on the MIXING entry. Then change FUNCTION to THR, OFFSET.ON to +135, OFFSET.OFF to -135, STATUS to ACT and SWITCH to SG.

Not clear, send a PM to me? I can send photos from my T12FGH.

Fly safe, Glover

PS I do not know your application for this throttle programming, but the OFFSET program mix is where you would set a start or stop delay for your action. For instance if your toy was a quite large or heavy one and you needed extra time to get it into launch position, you could delay throttle start for 20seconds (or another delay period). Obviously if this were the case then you would not be using a spring loaded switch for throttle activation.
glover is offline Find More Posts by glover
Last edited by glover; Sep 15, 2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Incomplete solution
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
58 Posts
Hi Glover, thanks for the replay,

The application is a full house electric sailplane. I have it set up at the moment with the "motor" function that is in the model menu. I have it working in so much as when the SG switch is forward the electric motor is a full power, the middle position on the switch is partial power and the back position is off (that is the default for the motor function). That being said what I want is full power in the forward switch position and the motor to be off in the middle and back position, but I am at a loss to figure out how to do it. Best part about these Futaba's is there is always more than one way to achieve what you want so if I cant get it to work from the "motor" function I will set it up the way you suggest.

Thanks again

Matt
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:07 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
613 Posts
Good luck with your toy. Personally I have found the MOTOR function to be lacking. My suggestion to you worked when I simulated it. The12FG is extremely flexible. I really like being able to name and use a nearly unlimited number (12) of flight modes. My hightest authority flight mode always is "Thr Kill" which gives me a visual indication that my throttle safety programming is active.

Fly safe, Glover
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:58 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
613 Posts
Okay, so you prefer to use MOTOR under the MODEL menus.

When you first create your model, set its type as GLIDER.

In the LINKAGE.FUNCTION menu for MOTOR, change CONTROL to "SG" and TRIM to "--".

In the MODEL.MOTOR menu set ACT/INH to "ACT". Set SWITCH to SG, then scroll down to MOTOR OFF and press-and-hold the scroll button which should change the associated value to "-100".

Now back out of MOTOR, then go to SERVO MONITOR and observe the MTR value as you flip SG. It should go from +100 to -100 without stopping at zero. Done and tested.

Fly safe, Glover

PS Just like Jimmy Valvano said: "Don't give up, don't ever give up!"
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
58 Posts
That did the trick, Thanks a ton Glover!!

Matt
Old May 16, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by fishbed
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
235 Posts
12FG programming for Dummies!

glover
I stumbled across this thread when I was trying to figure out out how to use a 3 position switch as a 2 position to operate a tow release device on a glider tug. Your solution for Jugdriver's electric motor application was the answer to my prayers - I would never in a million years have figured that out for myself from the Futaba manual. Have you ever thought about writing a self help manual for people like me that own 12FG radios but have no clue how to programme them? My years of programming my old 9CAP are of no help to me whatsoever when it comes to the 12FG. I would pay good money for a 12FG programming for dummies manual.
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed