Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 08, 2002, 10:15 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
IFO "tuck"

I am estatic that I put together an IFO Mark 3. It is by far one of the most fun airplanes I have ever flown - crashed, picked up, and flown again. Nothing like feeling invincible with a plane!!!

I am learning the "quirks" of the design and one that I have not figured out is the tuck that I get when I go for straight and level flight. If I dip the nose down to build speed to enter a maneuver, the IFO tucks under. The only way I have found to recover is to pull full up and cut the throttle, then once pointing straight up - or close to it, leveling off and flying again as normal. This also occus when I get it in a shallow turn and build speed... anytime you try to fly it with a relativly low angle of attack at any speed it tucks - - I figured this meant my cg was too far back, so i moved it foreward, it had little effect other than making the flight less exciting. I realize this is nothing more than plate lift at its finest - but, any suggestions
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2002, 10:24 AM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Does your Mk3 have the additional rod that bows across the frame from wingtip to wingtip? This was an addition to the design, to eliminate the tucking problem. If you already have this, write to Dan at WildRC. He's out of town thru today or tomorrow, but I'm sure he can help.

Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old May 08, 2002, 10:28 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,827 Posts
Mine does this also, although I see less of it now with the new covering.
The only diff between the 2, is this covering I got on alot tighter, but don't know if it was the culprit.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old May 08, 2002, 10:58 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,341 Posts
Dan usually shows up and flies at the Aerospace Exposition at the Antelope Valley Mall, which happens next Saturday... I'll ask him.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2002, 01:11 PM
Knight who says NI!
UK
Joined Apr 2001
134 Posts
hmmm, I've never noticed anything like that happening on mine, perhaps you have some up or down-thrust on the motor?

I'm not sure how the spanwise carbon rod would help for this problem, I'm pretty sure Dan included it to stop "tucking" when pulling out of high-speed dives...

BTW. I have my covering taped on to the spanwise rod with scotch clear if this helps.
jamie516 is offline Find More Posts by jamie516
Old May 08, 2002, 04:15 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,943 Posts
span wize rod?

WHen you mention the pspan wize rod are you talking about the trailing edge material or the elevon material. There is only the bow with the front to back rod and the rod in the front that supports the motor.

I flew it a bunch today and got the hang of it but it still tucks at any kind of speed other than aerobatic twisting and twirling... it is a hoot. I have gotten to the point today where i can walk in front of it to pick it out of the iar and can hover it to where I am standing to pick it out of the iar. This thing is the most fun I have ever had flying RC.

Wind is picking up so I had to stop early... tommorrow lunchtime is the next outing!

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old May 08, 2002, 04:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
The extra rod was put on to eliminate dive speed tuck so Dan has told me. I beleive your problem is motor angle. The Mini IFO I fly most of the time is very touchy about motor angle and I'm sure the Mk3 is also.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 08, 2002, 04:26 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
I was referring to the carbon rod that runs from one trailing edge tip to the other, in a bow shape, and connects to the fuse rod about 4-5 inches ahead of the trailing edge. It was a mod that was to eliminate tucking at high speeds. It may not have anything to do with your situation, it was a guess because it was added to solve a tucking problem as speed built up in a dive. If yours is tucking in level flight, it's probably something else. I'll bet Dan will jump in when he's back home and sees this thread.

Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old May 08, 2002, 05:46 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,506 Posts
I have one of the old IFOs and mine always does this. I knocked the motor off a few times, and it still did it no matter how many times I put the motor back on. I was just attributing it to the design ( flat plate) and it needs positive to fly. When I putt around nose high, it never does that.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking with it
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 08, 2002, 06:44 PM
Mojave CA
Joined Nov 2000
61 Posts
Hi Pval3,

There was an extra carbon rod (0.08" dia x 35.75" long) added to the kits 2.5 years ago to prevent tucking. (Strangely, the mini IFO doesn't need it.) This rod runs from wing tip to wing tip underneath the covering and crosses the fuselage rod between the servos and receiver.

Tucking usually occurred from flying in a dive with full throttle or over weight IFO (11+ ounces). In general, it's a good habit to learn to throttle back in a dive.

The first dive tests performed with this new carbon rod mentioned above used a 0.11" dia rod. The test was a screaming straight down dive with full throttle and then abrupt up elevator. The recovery was so abrupt that it tore the battery off the IFO. So I toned down the recovery with a 0.08" dia rod instead of 0.11" dia rod. If your IFO is having tuck problems AND has the extra 0.08" spanwise bow rod, I would increase the diameter. Also make sure that your servos have at least 12 in-oz torque and your CG is about in the right place. If using pushrods, make sure that they are not bowing. Also, it is important to have the covering attached to the trailing edge (hinge line) rod for the IFO Mk3 and mini IFO.

Hope any of these ideas helps.
Dan

P.S. For any pesonal email sent to me, please be patient. We are very behind. We just got back (today) from the model demonstration flights in Costa Rica. We had a great time but were bumped from flight to flight (standby tickets) sleeping in unexpected places (like airport terminals and other central American countries). One airline would not let a member of our party return with his turbine aircraft because of traces of flamable liquid...- thank god for electrics....also, we were the only electric model demonstrating there....
Dan Kreigh is offline Find More Posts by Dan Kreigh
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:11 AM
Czech Republic
Joined Nov 1999
36 Posts
Problem with control at higher speed

I have problem with control IFO at high speed.
If I dive with full throttle or dive without throttle or if I fly in windy day.
I have it powered by outrunner PJS 350 Carbon, 3S Lipol, ESC JETI Master 8.
Total weight is 320grams.
It is overpowered, but it can fly slow too.
I have (secondhand) IFO mk3 with tip to tip carbon bow.
On air is visible twisting of model body on sharp maneveurs.
How to cure it ?
NuClear is offline Find More Posts by NuClear