Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:35 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
345 Posts
Discussion
Quanum Relentless

Hey all,
I have to admit I've always thought of cars and boats as a bit boring (recently found this isn't so). Following my fairly recent car purchase for my young fella, and subsequent second car purchase for myself to get some extra father/son time in, and thoroughly enjoying it, I thought, Hmmm.... maybe a boat would be nice, just to complement my half decent surface TX.

I did a little homework, review reading and YouTube surfing and decided on the "Relentless" (didn't want a big outlay just in case I didn't like it) and my LHS wanted $300-$400 for anything above something more suited for the bathtub . I mainly have 3 and 4s batteries and wanted something that would perform decently on these and this one fitted the bill. I did like the look of it's brother the "Aquaholic" and apparently it's faster too, but less stable and flips easier, maybe it was just the reviewers skills who knows.....

The box showed up today and I got into setting it up, already having a spare RX waiting for it's arrival. I started with the rudder installation and did read somewhere on the sacrificial nylon bolt in the bottom hole to shear off in the event of the rudder striking something hard in the water, thus preventing the whole rudder assembly tearing out of the transom.

Name: IMG_1789.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 35.3 KB
Description:

It is a 3s boat but 4s capable so me liking things more on the performance side I went straight to 4s. I changed the XT-60 for my Deans, got the RX in it's bathing costume, worked out where I wanted the battery and fitted the prop and that's really all there is to it. I don't think it made any difference but I shortened all the cooling tubes as there seemed to be too much here n there.

Name: IMG_1790.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 67.7 KB
Description:

I did learn a fair bit about RC boats today, like keeping the CG low as possible, I had my battery mounted on top of the tunnel for lateral balance, as they have a bit of velcro placed down further in one of the hulls making it a bit one sided. After flipping it a few times I moved the battery down there but being 4s it lists a bit as you can see in video, still need to work on this. Also keep an eye on where you let the balance plug sit in your boat, I'll let everyone think about that one....

The motor got warm but not overly hot and the ESC took it all in it's stride.

All I'm going to do to this one is re-do the canopy sealing rubber, look at steel balanced props and go out and have fun as this is the windy season here and this way I'll still get my RC fix.....

So very happy with it and for $120, a bargain for the first racing boat inquisitive.
Name: IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 101.7 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1785.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 93.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1787.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 105.6 KB
Description:

Here's a quick video of the maiden at a lake just down the road from where I'm at, not sure the ducks and other water birds enjoyed it as much as I did though.
Quanum Relentless on 4s (3 min 49 sec)
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jun 2013
178 Posts
Nice enjoy your gonna want more speed its addicting
nemz305 is offline Find More Posts by nemz305
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:20 AM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Nice review. Thinking of getting this one too.
microhelidude is offline Find More Posts by microhelidude
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:54 PM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
577 Posts
Nice. I am looking at the Aquaholic, the sister of this one. I just hate spending almost 50 bucks in shipping to get it here from HK.

Your relentless sure does move with that 4s.
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Jul 02, 2014, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2014
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post
Nice. I am looking at the Aquaholic, the sister of this one. I just hate spending almost 50 bucks in shipping to get it here from HK.

Your relentless sure does move with that 4s.
HK use to have them both in the states but for sum resound they don't any more . I payed the $51. to ship . but i have the Aquaholic . hears mind on 4s .
Quanum Aquaholic Brushless Deep (0 min 31 sec)
rhardy60 is offline Find More Posts by rhardy60
Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
HK use to have them both in the states but for sum resound they don't any more . I payed the $51. to ship . but i have the Aquaholic . hears mind on 4s .http://youtu.be/G3XwGG_VubQ
I think you need a bigger lake!! lol. I'll trade u my smaller MiniMono that be perfect for that lake u have.
Old Jul 04, 2014, 02:07 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microhelidude View Post
Nice review. Thinking of getting this one too.
Double check everything (electronics) but I think this is the same thing.. Might beat the postage thing...

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/joy...peed-boat.html
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Double check everything (electronics) but I think this is the same thing.. Might beat the postage thing...

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/joy...peed-boat.html
Yes I saw that one that even comes with radio. But already ordered the relentlessly on Monday. Probably take a month to get here even though I paid express shipping.
Old Jul 04, 2014, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
What radio u guys using or recommend?
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2014
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microhelidude View Post
What radio u guys using or recommend?
I have two different setups . this one i'm using on my tug boat and so far it's been good to me . SHIP FLYSKY Transmitter FS-GT2B For CAR Boat 2.4Ghz 2.4g w/ Receiver, battery , got it off ebay for 29.90 free ship an the one i use on the Aquaholic is the Traxxas TQI 2.4 ghz with the link receiver.
rhardy60 is offline Find More Posts by rhardy60
Old Jul 05, 2014, 04:49 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
345 Posts
I have this one. Lots of options, mixing, braking etc.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html
Old Jul 05, 2014, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
I have two different setups . this one i'm using on my tug boat and so far it's been good to me . SHIP FLYSKY Transmitter FS-GT2B For CAR Boat 2.4Ghz 2.4g w/ Receiver, battery , got it off ebay for 29.90 free ship an the one i use on the Aquaholic is the Traxxas TQI 2.4 ghz with the link receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
I have this one. Lots of options, mixing, braking etc.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html
Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Anybody try to upgrade the motor yet or any ideas what could work on the Relentless?
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:38 PM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
I am in the process of upgrading the motor of my Joysway US1 (Same boat as the Relentless). I'll post some pics and videos once I am done...
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtheman View Post
I am in the process of upgrading the motor of my Joysway US1 (Same boat as the Relentless). I'll post some pics and videos once I am done...
Sweet....