Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Discussion
Victoria advise sought ?

This morning a friend gave me a neglected but complete Victoria sailboat. I've been cleaning it up and other than a missing hatch, the boat is complete. Questions; #1, What is the preferred sail winch? It has a Futaba s125 in it but it sound it little sluggish with a fresh 6v battery so might need replacement ? #2, Who is a supplier for carbon masts etc ? I used to sail a Victor Soling One Meter several years back and have recently thought of building a new one. Now this comes along and at a great price !! Looking for any advise.

Thanks, Charlie
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,228 Posts
This might be a good starting place.

http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Step-by-Step.html
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Thanks GPZY. Looks like what I'm looking for.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinfl View Post
Thanks GPZY. Looks like what I'm looking for.
Also there may be a club near by that sails Victorias near by. Check out the clubs on the AMYA site.
amya.org
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:17 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
I was told this is a good source of info:

http://www.sailbakersfield.com/victoria/victoria.htm
rfk is offline Find More Posts by rfk
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Thanks for the extra link rfk. I've got lots of info to start with. Just what i need.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 03:29 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,825 Posts
This might be a handy link - http://www.thundertiger.com/manual/1__4__5.html
A manual is usually a good source of information.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
This morning a friend gave me a neglected but complete Victoria sailboat. I've been cleaning it up and other than a missing hatch, the boat is complete. Questions; #1, What is the preferred sail winch? It has a Futaba s125 in it but it sound it little sluggish with a fresh 6v battery so might need replacement ? #2, Who is a supplier for carbon masts etc ? I used to sail a Victor Soling One Meter several years back and have recently thought of building a new one. Now this comes along and at a great price !! Looking for any advise.

Thanks, Charlie
Hi,
very quickly, the servo should be fine, unless you plan to sail competitively, it could also be that the servo needs cleaning or some grease ... in any case if you want to change it the "usual" servo is the Hitech HS645MG or something with similar torque (not less but more) like the HS-5645MG .. but more expensive.

As for the mast any carbon tube 3/8 in diameter and 43 inches long will do. If you want something more specific, goodwinds.com sells a 44 inches mast perfect for the vic, item #: 005075 is straight and item #: oo5065 is tapered.
The servo will set you back 35-40 (the HS-645mg) bucks and the mast around 24-25.
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I ordered the Hitec 645 mg with the 180' rotation option from Servo city this AM. They assured me the 180 rotation will not effect the torque available. I've weighed the hull with keel and rudder and it's 3lb. 10.5 oz. Pretty close to the weight in build in gpzy's link.

i also sent an email to Sirius sails for info / quote for sails ? Any opinions are welcome.

mfr02, Thanks for the link, but it's not working ? I get an error message ?

Charlie
Last edited by cbinfl; Sep 17, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:20 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,825 Posts
If the link (copied and pasted from the web page) doesn't work, try http://www.thundertiger.com/manual/1__4__1.html and go to page 5. I got there by googling thunder tiger and navigating to downloads, boats, manuals.
I had cause to replace my hatch recently, a piece of 1mm styrene sheet, 96mm by 156mm does the job, even better if a block of styrene is fixed to the back edge to form a handle.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Apr 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I ordered the Hitec 645 mg with the 180' rotation option from Servo city this AM. They assured me the 180 rotation will not effect the torque available. I've weighed the hull with keel and rudder and it's 3lb. 10.5 oz. Pretty close to the weight in build in gpzy's link.

i also sent an email to Sirius sails for info / quote for sails ? Any opinions are welcome.

mfr02, Thanks for the link, but it's not working ? I get an error message ?

Charlie

Carr sails for the Vic are 75$. You can't go wrong there.

With new sails, though, you will need a better mast too.
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jul 2004
83 Posts
Replace the hatch with clear lexan. Then you can view the works and detect water.
Tcat is offline Find More Posts by Tcat
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
More good ideas. mfr02, got the manual through google. Thanks. I was going to use the plastic eyelets that are from the kit for the side stays, as they looked molded in. Now I'm not sure since I see there glued on ? They do seem glued on well as i tried to remove the black winch heads and they are on pretty good. gio06226 I like Carr sails. Since I haven't heard from Sirius that may be the way to go. Tcat, back in the day (90's) I used varnished mahogany veneer on an ODOM I had that used the same type hatch and it looked great. I have some cherry veneer thats .0265 and two layers should work fine . I'm an old wood boat guy, so you got to love the smell of varnish, and dry rot ..... Isn't Lexan really heavy ?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:29 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,825 Posts
The lid, if you use the original slide-in frame, can only be 1 and a bit mm thick, so density isn't really a problem. It is best fairly rigid, though.