HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:58 PM
Breakin Props
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jul 2013
73 Posts
Hobbytown Gamma 370, about $129 ready to fly, and dirt cheap to upgrade it to the Pro set up.
Baracudaaa is offline Find More Posts by Baracudaaa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
Hey Dedstick, thanks....I chk the apprentice and it has the SAFE tech which i think will REALLY help me get properly started!
Chargeup is offline Find More Posts by Chargeup
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
Also, thanks to all of you who chimed in to help...your assistance and input is VERY appreciated!!
Chargeup is offline Find More Posts by Chargeup
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,630 Posts
This is almost certain to prompt an argument, but I think the "SAFE" system, as well as other pilot assist systems, just slow your learning process.

You'll learn faster and better by using a simulator or a buddy boxed instructor. The "assist" systems don't let you learn how the plane actually reacts to your inputs. You'll have to relearn this after you've mastered basic orientation skills. Both of the skills can be developed simultaneously by the other two methods.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
This is almost certain to prompt an argument, but I think the "SAFE" system, as well as other pilot assist systems, just slow your learning process.

You'll learn faster and better by using a simulator or a buddy boxed instructor. The "assist" systems don't let you learn how the plane actually reacts to your inputs. You'll have to relearn this after you've mastered basic orientation skills. Both of the skills can be developed simultaneously by the other two methods.
Respectfully disagree. If the SAFE technology is not there, you will crash and will crash often. Simulator or not.

Yes, your input on the buddy box is good advice.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:34 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,630 Posts
Told you it would get a response!

And I respectfully disagree with your "crash and crash often" statement. I assisted in the first flights of a friend with about 40 hours sim time. He did not crash at all. He was unable to consistently line up the landing approaches but did not crash nor damage the Dynam Cessna on his first flights. I wasn't a firm believer in simulators before - but I am now.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:03 AM
Joined May 2013
84 Posts
I also believe that simulator+regular trainer is a better idea than SAFE technology...

I learned on sim for several hours and did not crash my first plane (bixler) until I was confident enough to do stupid things with it...

On the other hand my friend knew well how to fly a trainer without ailerons and when he switched to glider with ailerons he immediately crashed it because it behaved different than he expected... Something like that could happen when you decide to turn off the SAFE system.
MasterB is online now Find More Posts by MasterB
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:32 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

No argument from me, I think things like ACT, SAFE and gyros hinder a pilot instead of helping them to learn.

Also for my bash against the nitro plane or other bargain website choices, read this post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...09&postcount=1
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2013
27 Posts
Hey I'm new to rc planes to and I'm hopefully getting my first at Christmas.
I know I don't have any experience but I have lots of support from other people who know what there talking about and I would recomend the hobbyzone archer RTF. It's a good rc beginner plane and its 4 channel. I know people say to start on a 3ch plane but what happens when you get a 3ch and get bored cause you can't do rolls and stuff. Plus with a 4ch you don't have to use the alierons untill your confident. At the end of the day it's your choice and other people can only make suggestions they can't make you buy a plane you don't want. But then again there's nothing stopping you getting a 3ch plane if that's what you want. Like I said. It's your choice.
Lazymojo2112 is offline Find More Posts by Lazymojo2112
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
It's likely that you will eventually get a bit bored by 3 CH operation over time, but if you think it's not challenging you are wrong. Try to land a 3 CH airplane in a crosswind and you'll see what I mean. There is much to learn from 3 CH flying, not to mention the general knowledge you will gain about model construction and RC components. Flying an aileron model without using the ailerons reveals your general lack of knowledge, as the design of a 3 CH model is very different from an aileron model. If you think you can't do much with 3 channels take a look at this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=waterdog

There are video demos there that will knock your socks off. 3 CH models have their place in the hobby, and it's not always in the role of a trainer either.
wmetcalf is offline Find More Posts by wmetcalf
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:36 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
Something like that could happen when you decide to turn off the SAFE system.
Isn't that why there are 4 levels to it?
Beginner, Intermediate and Expert to progress upward and the Panic mode in any level for that time you screw up so you can save the plane and continue to fly instead if going home.
I have no experience with it yet but I will. I also have no club close enough to enlist the aid of an instructor so it seems something like this would be of help to me and others with the same situation.

Don't get me wrong I have had instructors before and nothing takes their place when you have one available.
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:17 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
785 Posts
Have been flying for quite a while, but have gotten a bit long in the tooth and my hands have gotten shaky (don't need diapers yet), but the Guardian has been a great help. Without the Guardian in my E Flight PT 17, and H9 Corsair, I would probably not be able to fly them. So far I don't need them in any of my other planes. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01