HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
578 Posts
Progress Report

Starting to get serious with the forward hatch. This is a one-piece windscreen filler, and will be held in place with magnets. I'm thinking about using cardstock for much of the construction, as it is light and stiff enough to hold its shape. The general idea is to pre-paper the cardstock with red, trim out some for the windscreen area, then white glue that over a piece of clear sheet to form the actual piece.

Photos 1 & 2 show the forming process in action. I think the windscreen will look OK...

The nose block is attached, just waiting to be papered.
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
578 Posts
Progress Report

What should have been relatively easy turned out to be one of the longest-to-complete tasks on the model -- finishing up the landing gear. I have to admit, after getting the gear soldered together, the alignment left a lot to be desired. I will probably rebuild the gear at some later date, just to correct the visibly-obvious offset of the axles. I blame it on my glasses...

Photos 1-3 show the completed gear. For Sundancer, it also shows the simple no-glue retainer that I think turned out great in spite of the alignment issue. I know I will use this method again on Mamselle...

Here's the list of remaining things to do for completion of Envoy:
  • Mount servos
  • Finish pushrods
  • Glue hinges in on the elevator
  • Wire up the ESC and motor to their connectors
  • Finish upper hatch
  • Finish lower (servo) hatch

I will most likely not have the model flying before the deadline, as I still do not have a full radio system to use. The monetary budget has restricted me on such major investments of late; I've only been able to slip in the odd low-end "necessary items" for mechanical completeness...

Still, I'm having fun. Envoy was an exercise of the olde fingers and brain cells, and I expected it to have quite a few "rough edges".
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:01 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,412 Posts
You may not have flown it by the end of June cp, but looking at it I am sure it will be structurally finished, which is all that is required for inclusion in the poll - don't forget to post a nice overall photo when you reach this stage so that I can "lift" it for use in the poll thread.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
578 Posts
Progress Report

Upper hatch and windscreen now glued up. A little trimming, and mounting of the magnets, is all that's required here...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
578 Posts
Progress Report - Cont

Model now shown with upper hatch and windscreen fitted in place.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:16 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,428 Posts
Almost ready to fling then!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
578 Posts
Progress Report

Elevator hinges glued in. I'm going to remove the pushrods from the mix and hold them out until the radio is ready. All that is left to declare the model "mechanically finished" is the lower hatch.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:51 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,428 Posts
Go for it, bwa!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
578 Posts
I Hereby Declare The Envoy Mechanically Complete

There may be a few last pre-flight tweaks that are needed, but the construction of this model is finished. There is nothing left to build.

It's rough, it's not as pretty as I had hoped, and it most definitely took longer than I expected. But with a radio (and battery) installed, I would not hesitate to attempt a flight. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Photos 1-3 are the "official" final shots of the completed model, as requested by SD.

A couple of the items, like the LG and the hatches, will likely be re-built later for cosmetic appearances. But I'm still happy with how it turned out, as it represents my first attempt at an electric model, and I learned several construction and finishing techniques in the process. Equally important, I learned what not to do on future builds. I think that's just as important as what I learned to do.

Mamselle is on the back burner for now. The upcoming Build-Off looks like another great challenge, and I can't wait to get started.

I'm having fun! Really!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:49 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,412 Posts
Looks great cp. Best of luck when it comes to the flying, but I shouldn't think you would have any problems. Congratulations on being the 20th completed model in the Build Off.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:35 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,428 Posts
That looks great, Craig! And a really classy colour scheme - I may well unashamedly copy that sometime....