HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
What is this tweet thing you all speak of...sounds like another cool innovation Jim
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
A suggestion...if you do this, the reports should include the number of pilots that will be allowed in the flyoffs (i.e., top 13). That way, when you broadcast the final scores Friday afternoon everyone is covered.

Tom
Who tweets (and follows) not
I don't tweet either but a lot of folks do. I thought I would see if there is any interest in realtime updates pushed to your phone or computer.

That is a good recommendation - I'll be sure to heed it if I do it...
Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post
What is this tweet thing you all speak of...sounds like another cool innovation Jim
Twitter is kind of a real-time short message broadcast system. When a user Tweets they are basically sending a short message to everyone that subscribes to them.

In this scenario you would create a twitter account at twitter.com and then subscribe to f3xevents. Then whenever we post the scores a message would be sent to you on your phone or computer that lists the current standings.

It would work good for folks that can't follow the event online at my website...

Jim
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
OK - if anyone wants to play - I have set up a twitter feed for f3xevents. Simply get yourself a twitter account and look for f3xevents and "follow" it.

I have some test tweets out there now and will post some more as tests.

If you get signed up and want me to send a twitter so you can see it - let me know via email: jim@monacocasa.com

Have fun - if this works and people want it I'll implement it for F3J in the Desert...

Jim
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
I may also be able to send SMS messages to your phone. This will be a specific opt-in on the F3X website. This might be an even better solution as most people can accept text messages without doing anything special. It is opt-in because some people get charged for texts and may not want them.

It will only be available for US carriers. There will be a location on the F3XEvents site to subscribe to text updates..

Let me know if you think THIS is a good idea...
Jim
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
I now have text messaging working. Right now I have to add you to the DB but there will be a way on the website to subscribe to an event.

If you want to be a guinea pig PM me your cell number and who your cell provider is and I'll add you to the DB for testing. I send a few messages but not a lot...

Jim
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proppy jon View Post
practiced today for f3j boy the weather was 70* thermals were booming
the landings were spot on phoenix weather is great right now man i cant wait to fly f3j in the desert
70 days left
Were your landings at the cement field or at soft field?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
phoenix
Joined Jul 2004
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Were your landings at the cement field or at soft field?
i dont know what your talking about ! the suprise field is soft & green and no southerners come up !! to steal your thermals
proppy jon is offline Find More Posts by proppy jon
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,607 Posts
Good landings you will have to relearn for contest will be practicing at the sod farm soft too no Northerners sweet cheers, Old F3B field in Eloy
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,885 Posts
Hmmm....no Southerners...no Northerners. That ain't leaving much. Being a native 'Zonie, which is western, I should still be good to go!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
OK Boys and girls - I have added both text and email subscriptions to www.f3xevents.com. In the section for F3J in the Desert 2013 you will see 2 new links - one to subscribe to text messages and one to subscribe to email messages.

At the end of each round we will send out both text and email messages with the current standings.

When you click the link the F3J in the Desert event will be the default. If you use the pulldown and select CASL F3J 2012 I will be sending out a few tests using this event.

Note that you can also unsubscribe at any time at the same link.

Give it a try and I will send out some tests.

Thanks for your feedback...
Jim
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
I have put some data into the F3J in the Desert system so that I can do some testing. If you subscribed you will get intermittent messages while I am testing.

I will be clearing out these scores before the event and creating the matrix so that pilots can practice entering scores. I will then clear all that junk data the day before the event.

Jim
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,766 Posts
Watson has talked me into becoming a participant for the event, so if there is a spot, and if the troops will have me, I'll do my job as pilot. If the spot is full, I would like to be on the waiting list.

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,160 Posts
deleted by me
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2003
857 Posts
Please send me an email to jim@monacocasa.com to be put on the list. You are number 2 on the wait list. Tuan is number 1.