Total length E(mm) 36
Mopower71 is online now Find More Posts by Mopower71
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:17 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,345 Posts
Just thought I would share a little footage filmed from my buddies Multiplex Fun Cub of my Techone Swift.

He mounted a Gopro on the top of the wing, we just flew mainly left hand circuits doing various maneuvers.

Not bad for our first time trying it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=xTYDGToinh0
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Hi, I have a question with the 33 inch P51 I hope somebody here have an idea. I'm planning to reduce its weight in the tail section by bringing forward the rudder and elevator servos, increase the dihedral, and fit it with lighter motor and battery to more or else balance it. My question is, will it be more suitable as a trainer with the modification since I'm not yet comfortable with 4 channel. I can fly a Champ but I'm quite intimidated with the P51 bacause of the weight and size, compare to champ.

Thanks.
JPY123 is offline Find More Posts by JPY123
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:30 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,283 Posts
Meet my new Mini Piaget! Due to maiden tomorrow eve. The motor has spin-up issues...it jitters back n forth. I found I have to advance the throttle more quickly to get it spinning. Once its going, its fine. Anyone else had a similar issue?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPY123 View Post
Hi, I have a question with the 33 inch P51 I hope somebody here have an idea. I'm planning to reduce its weight in the tail section by bringing forward the rudder and elevator servos, increase the dihedral, and fit it with lighter motor and battery to more or else balance it. My question is, will it be more suitable as a trainer with the modification since I'm not yet comfortable with 4 channel. I can fly a Champ but I'm quite intimidated with the P51 bacause of the weight and size, compare to champ.

Thanks.
I don't have that plane, but with your experience you describe, I wouldn't recommend messing with it. If you're hand launching it, it will be harder with a weaker power system. And if you move the tail servos fwd, you could introduce slop in the system if not done properly. It looks like it flies fine in the video. If you start experimenting with those things, you might make it harder to fly due to innumerable reasons. I wouldn't have recommended it as an aileron trainer. But then, we all have to stretch our reach to advance our skills sometimes, huh? So it may work for you. We just have to be careful not to reach too far! Also, I'm so far not one for experimenting much with things like that in a plane, but there are those in the hobby that seem to enjoy that more than the flying(Which is perfectly fine! We need all kinds !), so maybe that's your calling and I'm wrong about the matter.

My 2 cents, I'd keep it as is.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Thanks for your input, I guess it's safer that way. I'll go for a proper aileron trainer before going for the P51, any recommendation?
JPY123 is offline Find More Posts by JPY123
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Meet my new Mini Piaget! Due to maiden tomorrow eve. The motor has spin-up issues...it jitters back n forth. I found I have to advance the throttle more quickly to get it spinning. Once its going, its fine. Anyone else had a similar issue?
Sounds like maybe the esc is having timing issues or doesnt recognize your transmitters throttle endpoints.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
707 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your input, I guess it's safer that way. I'll go for a proper aileron trainer before going for the P51, any recommendation?
That plane dumbed down with a computer radio should be fine. Floaty as well... to let you recover from mistakes. Biggest thing is epp repairs so easily with welder glue. I dont retire my epp 3d planes...mostly Twisted Hobbies but i do have some Techones...great value IMO....until their just too heavy from all the extra glue. Best aileron trainer for me was my Phoenix sim which I still use almost everyday. Just keep that plane stock and fly it....repair it...then fly it some more. Only 33 bucks as I recall.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Pilot Fatigue is right. The best, cheapest trainer is a sim. That P-51 might be OK as long as you keep the throws reasonable. That material should be really durable. I just got a TechOne Swift to start learning 3D, hopefully, and that stuff is amazing! Like I said, we all have to make the jump sometime. I've always wondered about hand-launched trainers, at least the ones that aren't like gliders. You have an instant to go from the hand to flying, not much chance to get what's happening for a beginner. Not much time to recover from a bad launch, bad out-of-trim situation, whatever. And it's so hard for a beginner to figure out what it was that went wrong and correct for it.

As far as others, there are quite a few aileron trainer types out there, but the ones that come to mind for me aren't the cheapies. PZ T-28 (The regular size one) comes highly recommended as a 2nd plane. There's the E-Flite Apprentice, Flyzone Sensei. What's that one, I think the Aries Gamma? Something comparable to the HZ SuperCub, 3 channels, but you can buy an aileron equipped wing, I think with ail servos already installed, and plop it right on when you think you're ready for ailerons.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
707 Posts
Xmech your right about the hand launch thing for a newbie.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:46 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,434 Posts
Buddy from a neighboring club and I did a joint buy if 3 Tech One planes.
The 15% coupon still works.
Gonna see how it can hang on prop
Nitroplanes Coupon

Edit: We got the Venus kids cause we wanted somethign "pattern plane like"
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
I would actually recommend a EPP 3D plane as a aileron trainer. As long as you dial the throws down on all control surfaces, these planes can float like a feather. Unlike a scale warbird which has so many variances would affect how it fly, trimming out a EPP profile plane is very easy; if you align the ailerons, elevator and rudder correctly, using recommended electronics, you probably need very little trims at your maiden. Plus flying a 3D EPP off your hand is non-eventful. At least that was what I experienced with my EPP 3D planes (5 of them). So, any TechOne EPP 3D with greater than 36" in WS will be ideal. I taught my neighbor's kid flying with my Pulama, but that's too fragile to fly outdoor. Later I got a 39" Yak 54 for the kids instead, and she survives from many nose-ins. A EPO warbird might be retired many times already in that case.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
I used this one as my 4ch trainer and it has the scars to prove it! but if you are determined to make it yours( I have succeeded although not a pro) dial everything down start with a light 500MaH 3s
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...1-1v-lipo.html this battery has enough juice for about 3-5 minutes and trust me you will need 15 minutes after that to settle back down!

Have someone test fly it for you. The EPP will take a hit and keep on trucking, it sounds like you have the skills to repair, one note though, the front section around the batt area and ESC is weak and thats what will take the most abuse, so if you can re-enforce it with whatever it will help, one more thing make sure you are rock solid on 3 ch before stepping up, and as always a sim is your best friend. As far as the hand launch issues, that was my major downfall I kept trying to throw it parellel to the ground, don't do that, toss it with a an upward motion, I learned that the hard way
good luck
J
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Last edited by newguy2012; Jan 10, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,283 Posts
The directions on my Mini Piaget say to use washers to adjust engine thrust. Is it really necessary on something this small? And how do you suggest adding it in if it is needed?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
I never bother to check thrust angle in this size of plane. I actually built zero thrust angle in my homemade Yak 55 (9oz plane) and it only needed very little trims. And at one point I ran out of regular props, so I put a reverse prop in her and she flew as good as before. I won't do that for planes with 100W+ power plant though.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT