HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:09 AM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Having read this thread it is fantastic that someone has produced this balancer and made it available to us all for such a great price
You have to be commended Bob.
I just have to convince the powers that be that it is essential I have one, as it would free me up to use all sorts of fans without having to pay for balancing and buying a motor every time, I can mix and match.
So Bob when are we getting free postage again??????
The free postage is a random thing based on when I have some free time really.

However

The bad news is next week I start in a permanent position which will mean I have much less free time.
So the postage will be staying as is for a while.
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:27 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,554 Posts
Well I have my new balancer in my hands now even though the Royal Mail and Australia post Track & Trace said nothing until after it arrived.
So now the reading and learning begins........should be fun.

Thanks Bob, very nicely made and thanks for the Blue tack as I had forgot to get any and would have had to wait until I went into town (25kms)
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Well I have my new balancer in my hands now even though the Royal Mail and Australia post Track & Trace said nothing until after it arrived.
So now the reading and learning begins........should be fun.

Thanks Bob, very nicely made and thanks for the Blue tack as I had forgot to get any and would have had to wait until I went into town (25kms)
Clive
one of my pet hates is getting new toys and not being able to play with them straight away.
So the batteries and blu tack go with every balancer.

Dont forget to check the motor for balance before you add the collet, fan and the spinner as some motors are very out of balance.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:20 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
585 Posts
Finally got mine as well. It had been held in retention by the postal office customs as they found the package declaration either missing, or missing data on it... and had to pay an additional CHF13.- for their "retention service", making total import duties amounting to CHF54.-, or more than 25% of the value of the balancer.
Don't you love your state

Bob, any reason that mandated the change to the "new" 3X strobe light design?
DeeCee 57 is online now Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:41 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,554 Posts
Just finished my first balance after much hair pulling etc. Then it all just seemed to slip in to place. Boy can you tell the difference when its right, my final test is the fingernail on the shroud and rev it up a bit, you soon feel if it still out of balance.
Thanks again Bob, its nice to know that everything is not trying to fly out and destroy its self.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Nov 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
Do you have to also pay 20% on shipping fees? I'm in the Czech Rep. and they make us pay the 20% duty on the price of the item AND the shipping cost

EU is not a "hobby friendly" zone
vasek is offline Find More Posts by vasek
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:00 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
585 Posts
yep, we pay duty on the shipping costs as well

They have changed the import duties system a few months ago, and though we have the lowest VAT in the EU @ 8%, we have now been rewarded by having fixed handing import duty according to the zone your package is coming from. The UK not being considered as EU, is in the higher fee zone # 2.

And though the balancer was duly despatched by Bob (thanks ), I had to provide proof of purchase (i.e. copy of my Paypal receipt) before being taxed...
Though we are slightly hijacking the thread here, my guess is that our dear customs are getting more and more suspicious of those HK 25% or whatever declared value shipments
DeeCee 57 is online now Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
Finally got mine as well. It had been held in retention by the postal office customs as they found the package declaration either missing, or missing data on it... and had to pay an additional CHF13.- for their "retention service", making total import duties amounting to CHF54.-, or more than 25% of the value of the balancer.

Bob, any reason that mandated the change to the "new" 3X strobe light design?
Sorry to hear about the duties :-(

I have been playing with different light sources and you have one of a batch I am currently using. They are all tested before they leave me so I know that they work correctly even though they are slightly different than the pictures in the manual.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
for everyones info Juraj in canada asked if the balancer could be made more sensitive as he had got the fans he has as balancd as possible with the current setup.

Hi Bob,

I have purchased a edf balancer from you ( just fantastic product!)
i have got my fans to a very good balance but i was wondering if i can get a perfect balance?
I have the balancer set on highest sensitivity and i still have to rev up the rpm to about 1/5 throttle to get any reading,
is there a way to make it even more sensitive?
Thanks,

Juraj

-------

Bob wrote

Juraj,

It is nice to hear you have had success.

Yes you can make the balancer more sensitive by altering the mechanical transfer of pressure .

The easy way is to replace the silicon tubes with something harder i.e. plastic tube.
OR
Shorten the silicon tubes by placing a lower nut on the beam pins to give the same pressure as the longer tubes.

There is an electronic solution but it will require components to be changed.

BE CAREFUL

The sensors could be damaged if they are bent by the forces generated while balancing without the soft tubes

-----

Bob,

Thank you so much for the tip , i have replaced the silicone tubes with hard rubber tubes and it has done the trick.
I must say i am impressed how well these fans are able to be balanced. My fans are now perfect, not a single vibration. Now my airframe doesnt make any noise , just the beautiful sound of the fan exhaust whooshing
Thanks again,

Juraj

NOTE:

the reverse is possible to desensitise the balancer by using softer tubing than the standard tubing that comes with the balancer.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,806 Posts
Thanks for posting that info Bob but it makes me very slack.

I'm ecstatic if I have to turn the sensitivity to 3/4 before I get a strobe!!!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Thanks for posting that info Bob but it makes me very slack.

I'm ecstatic if I have to turn the sensitivity to 3/4 before I get a strobe!!!!

Goody,

Sorry about that but I felt it was important that people should know what is possible.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blackburn View Post
Goody,

Sorry about that but I felt it was important that people should know what is possible.
No Probs Bob. Just joking (but I do normally only take it to about 3/4 sensitivity ).

Its a great product BTW!!

Cheers Dave
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old May 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
23,934 Posts
Say...Bob...

These balancers...they're around UK 200 pounds. Will they balance things other than EDF units?

For example, can I mount an inrunner/outrunner with prop shaft adapter + prop and use the unit to balance that lot up as a whole?

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old May 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Say...Bob...

These balancers...they're around UK 200 pounds. Will they balance things other than EDF units?

For example, can I mount an inrunner/outrunner with prop shaft adapter + prop and use the unit to balance that lot up as a whole?

BJ
Yes I have balanced outrunner motors on their own and then fitted a prop and balanced that too.

You do need to make a simple mount system to fasten to the beam that will allow a motor and prop some clearance.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:51 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
23,934 Posts
Do you do any "specials" for overseas buyers, Bob?

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64