HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:59 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,243 Posts
it says self oiling bushings??!!?? has it got a can of oil hidden inside lol? how does that work then?
been out again this morn after adding a bit of cooling exits behind cowling. seemed to help motor did not get hot till end of 3rd flight and my then it was windy so had to use a lot of throttle to compensate, esc was hot though, it is a turborix 30amp one, I'm using a separate bec so not too worried at moment. When new motor arrives I will put in the 40 _ 50 amp one that I ordered with it. batts were at 3.81v after 5:30 mins in wind after last flight, yet 1st flight little wind were at 3.85v after same time. Goes to show how much more it takes to fly in wind. Gotta say its still feels heavy and a bit unwilling in the turns compared to my spitfire but its much better now its got some more power, I think it definatly needs a bit more though, and the new motor I've ordered is suposedly capable of another 75w or so, we will see! LOng wait from hong kong though, last order took nearly 2 months! Other orders I had come in a couple of weeks.
servoless retracts still holding up fine though cross wind landing today and I must be getting better as she came down sweet as a nut, nice and gentle apart from a touch and go which hit a bump and bounced plane up rather hard!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 07:56 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I have always used sewing machine oil on all of my motors and bearings/bushings. The ball bearings in the GWS gearboxes are some of the best I've ever seen for smooth operation, too bad they don't incorporate these into brushless motors.

I know what you mean about the weight Nigel. My 190 is EPO and is a good bit heavier than the original EPP foam. Right now I have a Rimfire .10 in it with a 10X7 APC prop an It just doesn't have the zip that I like in a warbird. Even if the Hobby King motor doesn't give me any more performance I want to run the 3 blade prop since it looks more scale. Better performance would be a plus though.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2011, 08:14 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,479 Posts
Mine has an AXI 2217/16 with APC 9 x 4 in it, which is a fairly small motor. It isn't a speed demon but it has good climb and can do nice big loops. Duration is good. I judge it fairly scale in performance. That is the only AXI I have, all the rest are HK motors.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old May 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I have always used sewing machine oil on all of my motors and bearings/bushings. The ball bearings in the GWS gearboxes are some of the best I've ever seen for smooth operation, too bad they don't incorporate these into brushless motors.

I know what you mean about the weight Nigel. My 190 is EPO and is a good bit heavier than the original EPP foam. Right now I have a Rimfire .10 in it with a 10X7 APC prop an It just doesn't have the zip that I like in a warbird. Even if the Hobby King motor doesn't give me any more performance I want to run the 3 blade prop since it looks more scale. Better performance would be a plus though.
I would have though the rimfire .10 would have been plenty on a 10X7 prop!
I wonder just how much power this plane would need to really get it going?
Maybe its just too heavy to ever really be nimble round the corners, mine is fine in a strieght line but pulling out of a loop seems a strugle and corners need a lot of power to keep them controlled especially in the wind.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
...I wonder just how much power this plane would need to really get it going?...
I believe a 480-class motor would impress you. GIUsedtoBe ran a PowerUp 480 in his highly-modified Parkzone FW. It definitely weighed more than my GWS 190 and was ridiculously fast.

Jeff

By the way, my ancestors are from Yorkshire. Apparently my great-grandfather owned a pub in Cudworth!
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old May 13, 2011, 01:24 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
This is what I would like to put in it. I have several AXI motors and one thing I know is that they are under rated, you can push them hard. This one would be the ideal candidate for the EPO FW-190 but it is expensive.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless...32961_prd1.htm
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2011, 02:34 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
This is what I would like to put in it. I have several AXI motors and one thing I know is that they are under rated, you can push them hard. This one would be the ideal candidate for the EPO FW-190 but it is expensive.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless...32961_prd1.htm
Wow, 90 bones is a lot to drop for a motor! Must actually be made of gold!
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old May 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Wow, 90 bones is a lot to drop for a motor! Must actually be made of gold!
Yep. Nothing against "premium" products but we've got experience with cheap motors that have hundreds of flights on them and have literallly flown through metal buildings! Interesting story that JMAH can tell you

You could buy three of them for the price of the Axi.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
You could buy three of them for the price of the Axi.

Alan
If you buy them individually and pay for express shipping to boot.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old May 14, 2011, 03:52 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
I believe a 480-class motor would impress you. GIUsedtoBe ran a PowerUp 480 in his highly-modified Parkzone FW. It definitely weighed more than my GWS 190 and was ridiculously fast.

Jeff

By the way, my ancestors are from Yorkshire. Apparently my great-grandfather owned a pub in Cudworth!
I have a parkzone 480 960kv motor sitting doing nothing from a friends corsair, was gonna put it in this plane but it would mean getting rid of stick motor mount and not being able to put it back in and making a motor mount as my mate never took the mount out of corsair and building a fire wall to fit mount onto etc, also it weighs a LOT more then motor that is in now, and it is making some noises and binding a bit as I turn it by hand, and only rated to 275w anyway so not going to bother with it unless I get deperate later on lol.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:34 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
I have a parkzone 480 960kv motor sitting doing nothing from a friends corsair, was gonna put it in this plane but it would mean getting rid of stick motor mount and not being able to put it back in and making a motor mount as my mate never took the mount out of corsair and building a fire wall to fit mount onto etc, also it weighs a LOT more then motor that is in now, and it is making some noises and binding a bit as I turn it by hand, and only rated to 275w anyway so not going to bother with it unless I get deperate later on lol.
I know you are in the UK but the power up 480 at headsuprc.com will attach to the GWS stick mount with some slight modification. You just have to grind down the lip a bit. I understand your reluctance to mod a new mount as that is time consuming and frustrating at times. If its not cost effective to get this motor from the states perhaps the owner will tell you where you might find the same one in the UK. He will respond to e-mail and customer service is top notch. You will need a 40 A ESC with this though.

Good Luck
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 14, 2011, 02:32 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
I know you are in the UK but the power up 480 at headsuprc.com will attach to the GWS stick mount with some slight modification. You just have to grind down the lip a bit. I understand your reluctance to mod a new mount as that is time consuming and frustrating at times. If its not cost effective to get this motor from the states perhaps the owner will tell you where you might find the same one in the UK. He will respond to e-mail and customer service is top notch. You will need a 40 A ESC with this though.

Good Luck
Alan
that motor looks much better then the parkzone 480 which is all plastic and rather large.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2106
this is the one I have on order and hopefully it will fit the motor mount and have enough power for my needs as some reviewers have said they take more power out of it then is stated and it is fine so should be ok as its rated for 25amps anyway.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:55 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
Well I finally got mine ready for it's maiden flight. We have some nice weather moving in this week and my friend wants to get a couple planes in the air so I figured it was about time. Mine has a few mods to it. I used the parkzone cowl, GP .10 mech retracts and made soem split flaps for it. I also added a carbon rod to the wing and glassed the wing. I filled in the panel lines with light spackle and then used polycrilic on the entire thing. I airbrushed the paint and almost all the markings are painted on other then the Swastika on the tail and the crosses on the fuse.

She weighs in at 37oz. Looking through the thread that's not as heavy as some of yours so I'm happy with that.

I'm hoping to have some good flights to report this week.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 11:35 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
[QUOTE=nigelsheffield;18222269]it says self oiling bushings??!!?? has it got a can of oil hidden inside lol? how does that work then?

oil impregnated bronze bushings is the more common term.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old May 16, 2011, 06:38 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
very sharp Steve..! I intend to use the same upgrades you used on mine.

..keep us posted on the first few flights.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT