SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:21 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Plantraco powered 6 inch Martin's bipe

Hi,

Those who have read my thread on my 8inch bipe, based on Martin Newel's model, know that it only flies for about 30 seconds in ground effect with the GB05 motor/gearbox from Plantraco. I'm actually waiting on a new powerplant from Larry at roomflight.com for this plane.

So I ended up with a GB05 gathering dust. At the price I paid, I found this to be unacceptable, so I decided in purchasing a new .4g butterfly receiver + hingeact and build a 6 inch version of the bipe hoping to get under 4.5g AUW.

You will find bellow pictures of the new bipe (the blue one is the 6inch and the red one is the 8 inch). So far the weight is as follows:

- airframe: 1.3g
- 30 mah lipo: .9g
- butterfly receiver: .4g
- GB05 motor/gearbox: .9g
- hingact: .23g
- prop: .2g

So the total should be in the 3.9 to 4.2g AUW.
Might get a maiden tomorrow if all goes well...
eric
CA'ed fingers is offline Find More Posts by CA'ed fingers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:34 PM
New And Young
United Kingdom, Wiltshire
Joined May 2005
133 Posts
Nice!

Hi Ca'ed Fingers......

Big Smiles i have no way even near the tallent to build that well,

i cant really add a great comment as i have minimal knowledge on micro (YET) only what i have been reading on here for the last year or so
but i thought i would give you a welcomed comment just as an ice breaker!

have you got any close ups of the gear box and prop one of my biggest down falls is gearbox making

Good luck on maden

Ben
Ben-Solo is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Solo
Last edited by Ben-Solo; Aug 31, 2005 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Sorry i am Dyslex (cant Even Spell That Correct) Spelling mistakes
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:39 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
With the lower weight she'll be flying fine with GB05

Looks like a fun build - good looking model!
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:16 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hi all, thanks!

Ben, welcome on the micro side!

I welcome the compliments, but my skills are really not very good. My first micro was a 60 walnut scale kit that turned out ok. My second (actually, I would consider it first as 60g walnut is border-line micro) was the 8inch bipe that went together pretty well. So this one is only #2 and it is not perfect. I would encourage you to jump in as getting a micro model together together and getting it to fly is not so hard, especially with the help of this forum. Just choose something you like for which people can give you plans and help and start on it. You will end up like me busting carbon fiber rods while doing covering and stuff but you will develop techniques that will work for you. This 6inch bipe was put together in a few evenings...

eric
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:21 PM
New And Young
United Kingdom, Wiltshire
Joined May 2005
133 Posts
Hi Eric

Hey,

Well its looks really neat and cleanly built to me.

check out my hi everyone post!

keep me updated on the maden

Ben
Ben-Solo is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Solo
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:33 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hi Ben, checked your opening post. The guys are pointing you in the right direction...

Looks like the maiden will be delayed by a day... I left early from work (6pm) and forgot to borrow the companies soldering station which I need to install the Receiver and the motor (my Rx has no conncetors, everything is soldered directly...). Ah well, gives me an excuse to work on my peanut scale Andreason...

eric
Old Sep 02, 2005, 08:57 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Well, she's ready for her maiden...
You will find bellow pictures of her before she hits her first wall (the first wall hit with a new indoor plane is always the most memorable to me...). I decided to re-do the landing gear. I added the receiver and motor. CG is much better on this one then on my 8inch version, I now have the Rx and lipo in a nice area that can easily be moved forward or back to adjust. This comes from having only one actuator on the tail rather then 2 and from the tail being lighter with regards to the motor (which I took from my 8inch bipe). The wheels look too small look-wise, but they are very light and they roll very well. I taxied around my kitchen last night which is made of ceramic tiles and the wheels had no difficulty with the cracks between the tiles. The prop is looking pretty big too as it is 4inches on a 6inch bipe, I don't mind so much but it forces me to put long landing gear which does not look so good. Oh well, as long as it flies, right?

I was targeting a AUW of less then 4.5g as per my 8inch bipe results. Final AUW comes in at (drum roll please...): 3.9g, this is close to the 3.6g of the butterfly so thrust to weight ratio will not be an issue. By the way, I calculate the wing loading at 1.13oz/sq ft.

Maiden tonight after work...
eric
Old Sep 02, 2005, 11:30 AM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Oooh that's nice!
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 02, 2005, 05:49 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Got the maiden in.
Well, she flies, rather well actually... But she is very affected by air currents. Where my butterfly gets push around by small air currents, this one gets banged into a wall or gets inverted. Probably comes the high drag bipe design... Here are some of my other observations so far:

- needed to remove the right thrust I had built-in
- removing the right thrust forced me to remove downthrust, will modify my set-up so that I can put the downthrust back on
- CG is critical, that is 2mm forward or back makes a world of difference...
- landings are done with tail hitting first as the AOA is high
- plenty of power, she takes off real fast

I'm pretty happy so far but I would need a bigger room to trim her properly as my usual spot is way too drafty...

eric
Old Sep 02, 2005, 07:46 PM
Thousand Oaks, California
Joined May 2004
338 Posts
Congratulations, Eric! I'm happy to see it flying!
I think the downthrust will help the high AOA problem, and may make it more stable, though it may fly faster. Both my 8" and 4" versions fly better with downthrust.

--Martin
Martin SJ is online now Find More Posts by Martin SJ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2005, 07:54 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Thanks Martin, it's a very nice design!

I need to find a bigger hall with no drafts in order to trim it right, but it clearly flies and with a bit more trimming it should fly real nice...

I might build a 12 inch version also, I think I could build it in the 10 to 12g area and may make a real slow, close for indoor or outdoor no wind condition. I should be building other models but I'm quite curious to see how different sizes of this model compare...

My 8inch took me a few months. Basically trying to establish techniques for covering that would work with me and the products I have. This 6 inch version took me a few evenings. Once you have some techniques, building becomes real fast..

This is just too much fun...
eric