SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:04 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,095 Posts
i hear, i hear, when i was on the maiden just as you said the plane takes a whooole lot of space to land and flies at a creep for a looong distance before touch down without flapperons, so i can just imagine a sudden gust easily pushing her over, however with flapperons i can see it being more vulnerable to gusts, however it's not always easy to predict when a gust would strike, it's a bit windy today, but might go anyway, and give the flapperons a whirl once i'm a bit comfortable say after the 3rd pack.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Last edited by Axefly; Oct 12, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:16 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,891 Posts
Are you running flapperons (ailerons go down) or spoilerons (ailerons go up).

Sirens don't like flapperons. Spoilerons are the go

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:37 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,095 Posts
my bad it's ailerons up i always get the terminology wrong after my experiences with my old thunder tiger e hawk 2000 i found aileron down (flapperons) made the thing baloon and setting up spoilerons (ailerons up) brought her down faster but had to up the tail elevator and also i read on the siren from you guys flapperons (ailerons down) it can turn ugly so ailerons up it is.

But then with spoilerons the plane is more suspect to stall if you add too much elevator to soon, my view is that it is a very careful decision on when exactly to deploy them.

However obviously one needs to experiment up high to get used to it, then further just hope a gust out of nowhere doesn't strike at the wrong time and place when landing.

With spoilerons i can see it being more vulnerable to gusts, however it's not always easy to predict when a gust would strike, or sometimes in my case i take a chance getting away with it sometimes, sometimes not.

charging my packs, will be ready by 11:00 however it is cloudy and am not sure how the conditions will be by then, i might have to keep the packs charged until 5:00 this afternoon when the conditions are normally best but might get lucky because of the overcast, it might be windy or it might not.
Last edited by Axefly; Oct 12, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,891 Posts
Let us know how you get on

BJ
Old Oct 12, 2014, 08:53 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
AxeFly... in regards to this plane and wind... If the wind is blowing hard, this is the plane I grab first! It flies great in the wind. I have flown it in up to 25mph, and it could have handled more. I just put the battery further forward for better penetration.
I flew it a few days ago and I think I blew a tooth or two in the gearbox. Had to make a deadstick landing... no damage. I am busy building two or three other planes so have not had a chance to look into it.
Sorry to hear about the wingtip, BJ.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:21 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Let us know how you get on

BJ
Ahh... i'm back and brought with me some eye candy... please excuse the quality, the fact that anything was captured at all was a miracle so it's just a bonus ! as i used an old fone strapped wit a rubberband to my head while i was flying, the vids are unfortunately to big to post i have not much bandwidth...

Woohooo man had 4 speed dives on the last pack, this baby did not let me down, out one dive i pulled out hard and i was surprised the the fuz did not split ! hahah... good fun with every flight, i used spoilerons on the last 3 flights out of the 5 packs i burned i had 1 scary landing, the rest was good... hindsight the 3 cell packs did not pack the punch i was expecting on the 12x10 prop, even the 15x 13 did not yield too much wow, 3 cell on my setup will only be appropriate on dead calm days, the wind was pumping probably 30-37 km/h at some stages, and the plane almost hanged kite like when turning upwind, with the 4 cell pack i could slice through better on the upwind turn... All in all it was good...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 01:21 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
AxeFly... in regards to this plane and wind... If the wind is blowing hard, this is the plane I grab first! It flies great in the wind. I have flown it in up to 25mph, and it could have handled more. I just put the battery further forward for better penetration.
I flew it a few days ago and I think I blew a tooth or two in the gearbox. Had to make a deadstick landing... no damage. I am busy building two or three other planes so have not had a chance to look into it.
Sorry to hear about the wingtip, BJ.
You were right, she handled wind pretty well thanks, i was surprised, however i just could not slice through much turning upwind, as she moved forward slower than what would keep me excited, i think a 13x10 or 13 x12 on 4s is what i need for windy days.

Glad all's good NC after your deadstick (on the first launch i nearly forgot to tighten the prop properly, it turned and the motor sounded normal, i was about to launch when giving full throttle it revved higher than it should, hesitated for a couple of seconds and the it hit me... haha, luckily i did not launch it.)
Last edited by Axefly; Oct 13, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:49 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
Hi guys. Plenty has been happening , maidens, unhappy landings!!
I was pulling mu motor and G/B to grease and check fearbox, and damaged the signal wire to esc from Rx. I am not prepared to take chance on the esc particualy as I use the internal bec, so I have ordered a 80 amp Turnegy super brain, any one tried them??
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,891 Posts
"unhappy landings!!" ??

What have you been up to, Neale?

And can you perhaps just replace the damaged signal wire?

BJ
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:54 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
Hi Guts Sorry BJ I was refering to the unfortunate unhappy landing you had.
It is a bad feeling when that happens, just wak\lking over to the plane waiting to see how bad it is. Good to see plenty of action here. I have been flat out with work, only been able to get back to normal in the past couple of weeks. Yes I will be able to replace the signal wire, and one of the power wires to the Rx need doing as well,there's some things you should not glue in for neatness!
But I ordered a superbrain as I would like to see roughly what it is doing in the air, trying to fit the eagle tree logger in there is a bit of a drama.Was planning on a new FAST hotliner, but budfet this year will only stretch to a E cyclone with a Neu and C/C speedylooking for around 1200 to 1200 watts, Anyway as soon as I recieve neww speedy from H/K I shall have the Siren up again, really is a sweet plane.
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 08:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,891 Posts
Oh...

Thought for a minute you might have come a cropper too. All good.

Re-attached my wing tip tonight. Everything else looks ok, so I'm gonna give it a whirl in the morning

BJ
Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
313 Posts
Ready to maiden if the rain stops.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Yesterday at 12:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM
flying at SCMAC
Australia, SA, Hindmarsh Island
Joined Apr 2013
600 Posts
looks good deadstick,
ask21flyer is offline Find More Posts by ask21flyer