HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2004, 03:55 PM
The simplest, the better!
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Savex all fiberglass Spit...

Hi
I'm building a Savex mk Vb Spitfire, a very nice all fiberglass kit, 1,45 metres wingspan. Has anyone built it before?Check the link to know more :http://www.savex.cz/vrtu.php?lang=en&id=5
PG
pdemon is offline Find More Posts by pdemon
Last edited by pdemon; Jun 13, 2004 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2004, 05:48 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Thank you for the link. Great looking kits!
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:29 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Ok , so I think I'm the first to build it! In this case I have to make some sort of review
The model has every detail on its surface, comprising fasteners, screws, panels etc. The fuse is a professional made sandwich of glass fiber- foam- glass fiber: rigid but light. The wing is ready to install retract, with bearers molded in for Eurokit gear: all you have to do is screw them in and pass the tubing inside the hollowed molded wing. The ailerons are pre-hinged, the frise type as per the original. You also find in the box a beautiful spinner with alu backplate, exaust stacks made of fiberglass and aileron hatches. Now is time to take some digital photos to show how the work progress...
PG
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:49 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Here are some shots of the building zone ( a little messy, I know )...
Custom made landing gear legs (my first work with the new acquired lathe...), the wheel bay with Eurokit retracts, the fuse, rudder details
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:52 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
the wheel bay...
inside the fuselage, note the foam insert...
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
Barnsley, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2000
667 Posts
PG,
What motor are you using? I have built and flown mine on an AXI 4130/16 on 24 CP1700 cells, and a 15x8 Graupner 3 bladed prop. The model flys great, but make sure that you cut out the openings on the scale radiator mouldings attached to the wing, otherwise the drag causes yaw. The take off from grass requires a lot of up elevator to keep the tail down, as the U/C is right on the cg, otherwise it noses over. My model came out above the recommended weight (about 4.3 kg auw), but theres lots of power to just cruise round on 1/4 throttle. Be careful of the stall, and fly the model in on a landing.

Good luck on the maiden flight.
Mark
Mark Haigh is offline Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Old Jun 14, 2004, 05:34 PM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Mark,
thank you for your input. Martin Bichler suggested me an Axi 4120/14 for 12 cells. I would like to stay light and lower the stall speed, within 3 kilos AUW. Your setup is surely boosted up! Anyway I like the way it looks, that prop is really scale too...Just a question: which moulding are talking about? I've not received mouldings in my kit box!!! I was thinking of making them myself for a more scale look. Are you using retracts?
Old Jun 15, 2004, 07:09 AM
Barnsley, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2000
667 Posts
I recieved a pack of scale mouldings for the underside of the wing, a radiator, and two air scoops. You can just see them on the photos. There was also the two wing cannons. I am using retracts, the eurokit ones - these slot straight in as you will have found. I made the retract bay doors from liteply, and these are cyano'd onto the main legs. The main legs are also eurokit spring loaded units.

When you fit out your radio and motor, make sure that there is not too much weight rear of the cg. Even with the big AXI and 20 cells up front, the model was just tail heavy, thats why I added the 4 extra cells - more power and some nose weight.
Mark Haigh is offline Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:03 PM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
I'm slowly progressing with my Spit...
here you can see the aileron linkage. The servo is screwed on a liteply plate glued with epoxy to the wing skin. The linkage is self made with piano wire, non adjustable but very discrete IMO. I intend to put a small fairing to hide it further. The glider-like control horn is machined from aluminium...
'til next update...
fly safe, have fun
PG
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:00 PM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
Pdemon,

Thanks for posting this thread.I've been eyeing the Savex's Spitfire for over a year now,seeing this thread made me run out of excuses for not buying it!Now,I need to have a long talk to the wife for the permission.See what you get me into!

Best regards

Tom
supersluf is offline Find More Posts by supersluf
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:18 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Tom
all I can say is that this kit is really worth buying. It doesn't cost you too much (329 euros from Bichler in Germany) and is very well done with a lot of details already moulded in the surface. You can save a lot of time from the building and spend it with your wife shopping around, she will surely agree !
Last edited by pdemon; Jun 29, 2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:28 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
anyone import this in the US?
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:31 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Esprit and Hobbyclub, he says, answering his own question....
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:36 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
$600 at HobbyClub!
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:39 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Here in Europe you can buy an already painted version for 439 Euros... Why don't ask Mr. Bichler how much for the shipping, his prices are the lowest for Savex products.
PG