HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2014, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,107 Posts
Discussion
HK Composite 90mm Cougar,.. RTF!!

Boom goes the dynamite! This is the first ready to fly composite 90mm EDF to my knowledge.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html

Nice option for those that don't want to build their own, won't be lightning fast on ~2000 watts, but should fly well enough.

Last pic showing all the hinges and hardware is a bit confusing.
nighthawk0077 is online now Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Last edited by nighthawk0077; Feb 03, 2014 at 10:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2014, 11:09 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,320 Posts
Too bad there's only 9 in stock. Hopefully someone on rcg will get one and contribute.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Feb 04, 2014, 12:48 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,820 Posts
Ok, it is possible to make something heavier then a Habu 32!
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Feb 04, 2014, 02:08 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
A kit version of this would be great, bare glass fuse, bare wood wings or foam cores, no electronics etc, even for $150 I'd get one. Actually if they did all of these jets like that, so we could install good formers, grind out all the excess resin, that kind of stuff. I like building, so having that as an option I think would sell a bunch more than what they do now.

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Feb 04, 2014, 03:03 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
They already sell the Cougar as an airframe?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?strSearch=f9f
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Feb 04, 2014, 04:28 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
Bare fuse, not finished. Think kit, not arf. Glass shell with nothing attached or painted. That way it can be built correctly, and with the least amount of weight. No crooked formers made from cardboard type ply, no paint that weighs a pound or better, proper intake ducts that don't collapse, you get the idea. As the builder, I want to do all of that. At least with the L-59 you can carbon tow the intakes before they get glued in. Besides, it'll take a load off the manufacturer, all they gotta do is pull the fuse form the mold and toss it into a box with wing cores/bare wood. No need to assemble parts, just pack em.

Jay
Old Feb 04, 2014, 05:41 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
548 Posts
We are kindred spirits Jay, The less work done at the Chinese factory the better. The CMP L-39 I built wasn't to hard to modify but I still had to rip off the wing covering and redo the gear mounts..... And a few other things. Some of these new composites can be a great deal. I hope more guy's will develop their building skills tweaking these ARF's. If anyone here has already spent time fixing an ARF they probably already have the skills to build a "kit", they just need to trust their ability's. The more guy's that can build will promote USA company's to start manufacturing affordable kits like it was years ago. Basic Glass fuse with some foam cores and a little wood. 120mm kits and larger could be done here for reasonable prices that way. The Chinese cant compete with the shipping costs on these bigger kits and the European turbine kits are all big bucks. There is a market niche here for American companies. We just need more builders.

Dean

PS: I just noticed you are from Erie. Where do you fly your jets?
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Feb 04, 2014, 06:10 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
I am building a yellow A-4, and it is just what I wanted, glass fuse and a real build. If these Chinese arfs were available as a bare kit option for us, I still say they'd sell a bunch more. The yellow is like $400 and shipped either from west coast or east, and made possible by American modelers. The layup and wings are done overseas, so it is possible to get others the same way.

This cougar looks gorgeous, but it really needs some refinements that are best done before paint and assembly.

I fly from our club field (grass) and sometimes the Titusville pa airport with the turbine guys

Jay
Old Feb 04, 2014, 06:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,850 Posts
I'm a kindred sprit too. I just assembled the Black Horse Viperjet ARTF from Vietnam. It is all wood and flies 'adequately' but no more. You have to supply the fan and retracts yourself. But it does come with nice looking but quickly wearing oleos. The pins of which don't fit the recommended retracts. The pins bend on the first landing too. I replaced the pins with proper US made music wire from K&S.

The ducts were too small, reducing my 'on the bench' thrust from 8 1/2 pounds to 3 1/2. After a few seconds they collapsed anyway, with a horrible crackling noise. which is additional proof (as if you needed any) that they are too small. Even weak ducts won't collapse if they are the correct size - any tendency to collapse means the motor is wasting energy trying to collapse the ducts rather than providing thrust. People who haven't figured that out and pointlessly strengthen the intake ducts with carbon rings call it 'duct losses'.

I had to move the battery a whole EIGHT INCHES back from the stated position to get the stated C of G. Which in any case turned out to be too far forwards. Then of course the ducts would not fit. So I discarded the ducts completely, enlarged the intakes as much as I could without changing the external shape, and put an intake ring on the fan. Result - 8 1/2 pounds both on the bench and in the plane.

I used the recommend retracts but the noseleg mount was in the wrong place. Black Horse seem to think the u/c has its mounts on the bottom whereas they are actually on the top. There is no way shown to keep the steering cables out of the way as they loosen when the leg retracts, so they get caught up. I had to think of a way to do it myself. An extra small servo that pulls on rubber bands as the leg retracts. The recommended u/c is too weak in its movement to leave the bands tensioned when the leg is down.

The supplied carbon tube wing joiner was very weak. I glued a 'non-Vietnamese' carbon tube inside the provided one. Hate to think what would happen in even a gentle loop if I had not done so.

The holes in the provided glass/epoxy control horns are far too big for the provided kwik-links. Having read about flutter I lined the holes with short lengths of brass tube epoxied in.

It combines being flimsy with being heavy. All for a trivial 500 dollars, plus fan, motor, and retracts. And servos (10), battery, ESC, etc.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 04, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2014, 07:27 AM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,635 Posts
so the retracts and wheels go up right in front of the fan, which is open. anyone else see a problem here ... hope those wheels dont kick up or pick up any debris.

there is a new vampire also...
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin; Feb 04, 2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2014, 08:00 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
580 Posts
That is the beauty of getting one bare bones, you can make a duct extension to seal up the fan, then glass in the bottom of the fuse without having to worry about matching up paint, if it isn't there yet. Aha! What an idea, huh? As for the intake area being too small, I am finding that 85% FSA on the intakes isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it helps keep the resonating down so you don't get that mad hair dryer sound, and even though static thrust suffers a bit, in the air the fan doesn't know the difference. By building it right, the lack of thrust on takeoff is offset by the 1 or more lbs of weight not added with heavy coats of glue, paint and clear coat that is added by the factory.

Jay
Old Feb 04, 2014, 08:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,850 Posts
Jay,

Clear coat. Yes. It never looks right on a plane, and it is heavy. Looks like the horrible finish you see on overdone custom cars. In the UK long ago when you had to use color dope and fuel proofer we called the result 'Snowcrete and varnish'. Snowcrete was a particularly awful brand of thick masonry paint that local authorities used on their buildings
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Old Feb 04, 2014, 12:40 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2007
334 Posts
This is for people don't want to spend months to build/paint and mess with gear doors...If you really enjoy building and painting your own thing, you are looking at wrong thread.
nerv is offline Find More Posts by nerv
Old Feb 04, 2014, 02:15 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray123 View Post
A kit version of this would be great, bare glass fuse, bare wood wings or foam cores, no electronics etc, even for $150 I'd get one. Actually if they did all of these jets like that, so we could install good formers, grind out all the excess resin, that kind of stuff. I like building, so having that as an option I think would sell a bunch more than what they do now.

Jay
Jay,

There are other options out there if you are wanting to build. We (www.jethangar.com) have a selection of builders kits (including a cougar) ideal for 90-120mm fans. Made to order entirely in the US.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Feb 04, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerv View Post
This is for people don't want to spend months to build/paint and mess with gear doors...If you really enjoy building and painting your own thing, you are looking at wrong thread.
Bingo, lets try to keep this thread on track and on topic guys
nighthawk0077 is online now Find More Posts by nighthawk0077