HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:20 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,073 Posts
Discussion
LED Controller

I am using a LED strip powered by a 3S Lipo on an irrigation reel. They work great but I need some way to protect the Lipo from discharging to low of voltage. Is there some way I can connect a ESC up to it and use the LVC on the ESC? Not sure how to make the ESC run at full power to get the 12V without being connected to a radio. Maybe someone can recommend something else that can switch power off at a set voltage?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,073 Posts
Someone just told me to use a servo tester. That will work great.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 08:15 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
875 Posts
If the ESC is left connected to the servo tester, the circuit of the tester will continue to drain some current from the Li-Po, even after the LEDs quit conducting, so be aware of that. You can't leave it connected indefinitely.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccormick001 View Post
If the ESC is left connected to the servo tester, the circuit of the tester will continue to drain some current from the Li-Po, even after the LEDs quit conducting, so be aware of that. You can't leave it connected indefinitely.
Thanks you are correct. Someone gave me the great idea of going to Walmart and getting some of the $.99 garden solar lights and just tie rap to one of the arms on the reel. No wires, no switches, self contained and weather proof. Problem solved for $3.00.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 09:42 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
875 Posts
K.I.S.S. is one of my core principles.

Another one is "Better is the enemy of Good". That reminder has saved me from screwing up a lot of things that were working just fine.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001