HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:31 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV View Post
Had my maiden flight today! Winds were very low (5 mph) and not gusty. I accomplished my primary goal, which was to NOT CRASH. My secondary goal: get the plane trimmed out and get some flights on it.

Needed about 17 grams of weight at the tail (I hammered some lead sheet down to the right thickness and slipped it into the open tail, then wedged it in there). Balance was right around 60mm, which is a little far forward, but I figured it might help with stability. It didn't need much trim other than a little up elevator. Funny thing is that I kept making changes to the "elevator subtrim" on my Tx, but the plane just wanted to yaw to the right. So I trimmed the ailerons the opposite way and it still kept yawing. I couldn't figure out what was going on, until I realized that the V-tail mixing was independent of the servo subtrim! That is, the SUBTRIM for the elevator only worked on ONE HALF of the V-tail (the one servo that was plugged into the Rx elevator channel itself). But the MAIN trims on the Tx work on BOTH servos. Very confusing, but I figured it out after about 10 minutes of fooling around without making progress.

Anyway, I ended up getting two very short flights under my belt, each of which lasted only a minute or so with about 5-10 seconds of motor run and around 100-150 feet of altitude. I wanted to keep it low and close just in case something weird happened. This is a fairly squirrelly little plane! Had to cut the throws to 50% just to make things manageable. But I was losing altitude in huge chunks just trying to regulate the airspeed and avoid spiraling in. I guess I had forgotten way more than I thought I would about aileron flying. And this plane's probably not the best trainer for it, either. The wing is REALLY flat and it flies at a brisk speed.

Stupid me, I kept trying to fly it like my polyhedral ships and kept holding the ailerons steady in a turn rather than just banking it slowly and then letting off for the rest of the turn, so it kept spiraling down and I had to jam the sticks over and zoom up just to avoid crashing. It was a bit hairy, but fortunately my landings were decent and I didn't do any damage to the plane.

I guess the most important part of tonight was that I did manage to get it completely trimmed out so it almost goes from a hand launch to landing without any input at all. Next time around, I'll get some higher launches and try to keep a more steady hand in the turns. But when things go wrong and panic sets in, it's tough to do. Hopefully I'll get out later this week for some more stick time. This could be a fun plane, but certainly not a relaxing flier!
Thats great news to hear, congrats... You must have heaps of self control to keep your flights so short, lol...
I know that with the right TX tuning (per your particular flight style) you are going to be styling in no time!
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I went on a mission to strengthen the wingset and it was way easier than I had imagined...

I added some unidirectional to the lower leading edge... I embedded a 3mm C/Fiber rod on the trailing edge... and to top it off I replaced the stock 6mm Spar with an 8mm Spar sourced for $6 from an E-Flight "Yak" (trimmed down slightly lengthwise to fit)...
Last edited by Demon 6; Jun 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
1,211 Posts
I think to improve the stability of the Passer-X in turns, I'm going to add some dihedral to the outer panels (per kcaldwell's method in the Passer-X thread -- good info there). Cut the panels just inboard of the ailerons and add about 8 degrees to each side. For a small twitchy plane like this, I just don't want the stress of having to keep my eyes glued to the plane at 110% focus just to keep it on track and not lose orientation at a distance of a few hundred feet (thermal height). I want to be able to rely on it to maintain SOME stability if a gust happens to knock it sideways.

Anyway, I may give it another couple of flights just to make sure before cutting it apart. But as spirally unstable as it is in stock form, I'm pretty sure it's not going to suit my needs without these modifications. If I were looking for a sloper or a warmliner, the Passer-X probably would be great. But I'm really more interested in a thermal glider with some "extra ability". I think the di(poly)hedral might make this happen.
DrewV is offline Find More Posts by DrewV
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I would scrutinize the CG... I commonly fly "hands off" even low across the field.... Super slow... I will check my current CG, but my experience with her is rock stable with no hint of tip stall... I'm sure with some more stuck time you and her will sort each other out.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Ok So I just picked up a red with carbon strip passer X tonight. I'm pretty excited about it already.

I have two different power setups that I plan on trying incase the lighter version doesn't provide enough power.

First setup is going to be a D2830-11 1000k 53g motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

with a 30 amp HK YEP ESC

Second setup if its not powerful enough is the Turnigy 2836 1000kv 80g motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000kv.html

with a 40a HK YEP ESC

* 32mm BB Folding Spinner with a 9.5x5 prop on both setups

* A small 6 channel FRsky receiver

* 1300mah 40c sky battery or possibly a 1000mah Gen Ace lipo

Servos: Power HD DSM44 6g servos
http://www.alofthobbies.com/dsm44.html

(I'm not sure if I should use these on the V-Tail or the ailerons... any suggestions would be great)

And then two more 9 gram EXI servos that I have laying around. I would like to keep the build as light as possible and see how it flies. I usually over power and reinforce everything I build, but I would like to have a light floater here. Any input on my components would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Troy
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:36 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
1,211 Posts
I like the second motor option better. This plane can handle the power.

But you need to bump up the prop a bit. Anything under 10" diameter is probably too small and 11" is better. The recommended prop is 11x6 and I know people are using 11x8 with some motors.

The fuselage space is pretty limited, I have a 40A ESC in mine and it takes up quite a bit of space. I'd go with a 30A if it were me, especially with any prop smaller than 11x6. I have 10x6 in mine and the motor never even gets warm to the touch. I could easily go 11x6 or bigger without a problem.

This plane is definitely NOT a floater (read my posts in this thread). It needs to fly and fly fast with almost constant control adjustment. Don't worry about weight. Mine is 720g full up and I build light. There's just nothing I can do about the weight, because 90% of it is prefab and the rest is battery/motor/radio. A few grams here or there won't affect it at all. I would go for the extra oomph of the 9g servos rather than try to save a few grams with the 6g.

Good luck with the plane.
DrewV is offline Find More Posts by DrewV
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:55 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
Yellow
Use the 45/90C 1300. When HK comes out with the A-Spec 130C I will sell all 45/90C. The battery is your power house the lower the C ratting the less Amps the motor can pull.
I was using there 35/50C 1300 in my 2M glider it is 28oz and it would not climb over a 45* angle . I then got the 45/90C and now 90* Climb just in the C rating.
The Turnigy nano-tech 1300mAh 3S 45~90C is $13.52 this is the BEST battery for the cost hands down.
If you want a 28x36 this is what I would use NTM Prop Drive 28-36 1000KV / 400W with a 10x6 CAM. PROP with the 45/90C 1300mah. Rember the more weight you add te less you can fly in light lift thats why I used the 28x26 315 watt motor with a 11x8 and I'm pulling 25A at 260 watts and my passer is climbing at a 90* angle.
As for the servos use only over 1.6kg the Turnigy XGD-10HM Digital Micro Servo has 2.2kg for $5. The HD DSM44 is a DLG wing servo like the D47 . Most peple used the HXT900 or the TG9e for the hole set up. I used the XGD for my set up
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Hmmm.

I'm mostly using 1600mah 20C batteries that only weigh 116grams and I have unlimited vertical performance. My KDA 20-22L draws about 20-22amps and delivers about 250watts with an 11X6 prop.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
4S 1300 here... 3S is too mild...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:08 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
Ok after reskining the wing with park light lost onther 1/2 oz then went to a 10X6 cam prop. also I am now useing a 850 3s 45/90C and that made the plane onther oz lighter and took out the thurmal scout. she is at about 22 1/2 oz but still need to wheigh her
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Any good news? Updates?