HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,793 Posts
Ok guy's,I ordered a ezosd,and now I'm trying to think of the best place to mount the GPS antenna? I've seen them mounted on top of the nose of the fuselage,and out on top of the wing. What would be the best location,or where you have yours mounted,and working for you? Ron
Ron_Dog is online now Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
Ok guy's,I ordered a ezosd,and now I'm trying to think of the best place to mount the GPS antenna? I've seen them mounted on top of the nose of the fuselage,and out on top of the wing. What would be the best location,or where you have yours mounted,and working for you? Ron
Don't know if it's the best location but mines out on the tail boom and works great
Name: IMG_00000207.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 183.6 KB
Description:

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
My Cyclops Storm GPS was on the floor under the canopy area... under wiring... and always worked fine. Max satellites within a minute. But they use a very good GPS.
But to get more room I did move it last week.... onto the top of the wing - in a recess for it.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,793 Posts
Thanks, Geoff! My 2.4 Rx is in the back compartment of the fuselage,and I ran the antenna out the side and down through the clear tube the elevator control rod was supposed to be in. Would the Rx or antenna effect the GPS? My VTX and camera are mounted in a cockpit module I made. My plane is a little "Tail Heavy", and I have to set my battery (2200Mah) as far forward as it can go, to get the C/G right now. I do like the location of yours though! I guess I can add a little nose ballast, to bring the C/G back into range. Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
My Cyclops Storm GPS was on the floor under the canopy area... under wiring... and always worked fine. Max satellites within a minute. But they use a very good GPS.
But to get more room I did move it last week.... onto the top of the wing - in a recess for it.
Thanks,Peter! Do you cut out a pocket for it to lay in? And bury the wires into the wing also? Or was the recess already there? Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
A pocket for the GPS.
Velcro in that and on GPS.
Wire (thin) just taped over the wing.
The GPS is only 2" from the pod.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:12 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
Thanks, Geoff! My 2.4 Rx is in the back compartment of the fuselage,and I ran the antenna out the side and down through the clear tube the elevator control rod was supposed to be in. Would the Rx or antenna effect the GPS? My VTX and camera are mounted in a cockpit module I made. My plane is a little "Tail Heavy", and I have to set my battery (2200Mah) as far forward as it can go, to get the C/G right now. I do like the location of yours though! I guess I can add a little nose ballast, to bring the C/G back into range. Ron
I think in your case on the nose would be good or, as Peter suggests, on top of the wing.

Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Today, 02:41 AM
Joined Apr 2013
86 Posts
Installed mine in the nose, and the Fy31ap GPS way back inside the canopy just in front of the ezUHF rx. GPS lock within seconds...
Rolf65 is online now Find More Posts by Rolf65
Old Today, 05:01 AM
Joined Aug 2010
209 Posts
I constructed a printable motor mount, that allows you to use a 8" prop instead of maximum 7" without adding much weight (printed part with 50% infill is ~15g) and without increasing air resistance too much.

It can be downloaded here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:513754

More printable upgrades will follow soon. Will especially construct some for FPV usage.
Rangarid is online now Find More Posts by Rangarid
Old Today, 05:32 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
I think in your case on the nose would be good or, as Peter suggests, on top of the wing.

Geoff
Thank you,guy's for the information! I appreciate the help! Ron
RCG Plus Member