HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
5 amps?! The cam will never need a charge!
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNutDave View Post
Well Tom, you have plenty of time on youe hands. Guess you'll just
have to run that one too
Yeah right! I do have a lot of time being retired now, but I'd like to to spend SOME of it flying, playing golf, etc. Maybe, if the developer wanted to send me a free new camera to field test and trouble of maintaining a dedicated thread, I'd consider it... can't support something I don't have. But then I'd back off on the current thread support... do you know how many times I've posted "see the FAQs links in Post #3"? Frustrating... give someone the help to help themselves, and they won't even take the time to use it.

Quite honestly, 1080HD doesn't interest me much because unless the lens and CMOS quality are improved so that they can not only capture finer detail, but also focus it and display it with uniform color and brightness across the entire frame, there is nothing to gain. The larger display just emphasizes any defects in the imaging hardware. And the larger files sizes, larger flash card memory, and larger battery size needed to power the whole thing drives up the price, size, and weight, all of which are not conducive to hauling it up in an RC powered plane which could crash and destroy or lose the whole affair!

For me, a 720HD display is best suited to my hobby interests. Getting that in higher quality than we have right now in a small package like the #11 would be my nirvana. I think a larger CMOS array and lens is needed to do that, but might be able to stuff it in a Jumbo #11 case.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 20, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:55 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Yeah right!... do you know how many times I've posted "see the FAQs links in Post #3"? Frustrating... give someone the help to help themselves, and they won't even take the time to use it.

Know what you mean.

I've read thru the whole post in the last 5 days, (took me that long),
and I've seen countless post from you and others about that.

Frustrating indeed!

I was getting frustrated just watching it all.
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:04 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Edit: Concerning the power supplies with super big capacity.

For me, these are NOT alternatives since my application for the #11 is light RC planes and helis.

Suddenly I felt that I just barged in on this thread without presentation and without giving credit to the MAN of this thread.

Well, Im Fred from Sweden and I want to do some nice AP from my E-Starter float plane and my T-Rex 450 heli. Thats how I found this thread.

All credit to Tom Frank who has compiled and moderated this thread, not to mention gathering all the information and having contact both with vendors and developer of this sweet product!

Thanks!
/Fred
Last edited by Paxman; Jun 20, 2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Post not clear since other posters got in between.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNutDave View Post
They are indeed LIPO.

These #11's are supposed to have a CC/CV charging chip onboard similar
to the MCP73811. Google that number and look at data sheets.

Look at lines 9 & 10 on attached pic

LION is usually metal cased like the batt's in a laptop. Looks like a large
AA battery, round and long.
LIPO are in poly sacks like shown in pics for cam. Flat and wide.
My other cameras, cell phone, etc. also use Li-Ion cells but in flat hard shell cases just slightly larger than the #11 Lipo cells. Not all are cylinders.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
Edit: Concerning the power supplies with super big capacity.

For me, these are NOT alternatives since my application for the #11 is light RC planes and helis.

Suddenly I felt that I just barged in on this thread without presentation and without giving credit to the MAN of this thread.

Well, Im Fred from Sweden and I want to do some nice AP from my E-Starter float plane and my T-Rex 450 heli. Thats how I found this thread.

All credit to Tom Frank who has compiled and moderated this thread, not to mention gathering all the information and having contact both with vendors and developer of this sweet product!

Thanks!
/Fred
Thanks, Fred, and welcome to the thread. My use for this camera is similar to yours, but for winged aircraft only. Fortunately, the Slow Stick can haul one heck of a load, much larger than these tiny cameras, but the small size means you can mount them almost anywhere.

Before the #11 came along, I used an HD camcorder that started out at about 5 oz. weight, then I pared that down to 2-1/2 oz. by ditching the case and (very heavy) LCD display. I still like that option since it has a 5MP CMOS sensor and larger lens, with even color and brightness across the 1280x720 display. But the #11 can go where it can't! I'd just like some more firmware tweaks to improve the white balance shift when going from bright to darker areas, diminish the color saturation level, and fix the continuous recording continuation bug. After that, only a larger CMOS array and lens can fix the vignetting at the edges, I think.

But it seems this thread has picked up many people who do not use the camera for AV purposes, but rather many different ground uses. They don't have the same constraints that we do with size, weight, etc. But my focus in this thread and with the sellers/developer is, and will continue to be, biased towards AV use.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
Not to spam the thread, but I'm gonna try one more time in case my post rolled off before anyone could notice it.

Has anyone ever returned a camera to one of these vendors? The post office employees (I ended up talking to a supervisor) informed me that cameras are on a list of things, along with wristwatches, radios, TV sets, and other common electronic items, that are prohibited from being sent to China. That even if it's not labeled as a camera, it can be opened either in the U.S. or in China and confiscated, etc.

Any suggestions? Am I just ed?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Not to spam the thread, but I'm gonna try one more time in case my post rolled off before anyone could notice it.

Has anyone ever returned a camera to one of these vendors? The post office employees (I ended up talking to a supervisor) informed me that cameras are on a list of things, along with wristwatches, radios, TV sets, and other common electronic items, that are prohibited from being sent to China. That even if it's not labeled as a camera, it can be opened either in the U.S. or in China and confiscated, etc.

Yes, I have returned a camera to China, by the cheapest US parcel post. I forget what I put on the customs declaration... maybe something like "toy key chain recorder" (which is what it is). It was received OK and I got a replacement OK. First time I have heard of this ridiculous restriction in the mail!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:37 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
Argh! One of my cameras had problems (detailed a few pages back.) The vendor was supportive, but I have to send the camera back to China so they can send me a replacement.

No problem, except ... the post office won't let me. My wife took it in today, and she says: "When I went to mail this I had to explain what it was. Then the post office employees (I ended up talking to a supervisor) informed me that cameras are on a list of things, along with wristwatches, radios, TV sets, and other common electronic items, that are prohibited from being sent to China."

That's both crazy and disappointing. And crazy. All those things come from China in the first place!
That's one way to block and prevent honoring any warranty. I'd go back and say it was a key chain you wanted to return to China.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:58 AM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I'd just like some more firmware tweaks to===>fix the continuous recording continuation bug.
I was thinking about this "little" problem. If I understand this correctly this restriction is related to the file system FAT32. The cam would need to be able to handle NTFS to create files bigger than 4 G if Im not mistaken. Is there even a way to get around this with firmware?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:48 AM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Current date in right bottom horn on pictures displays me.
I earlier did not see on pictures this near old firmware.
There are no date and time on film, incorrect geometry is.
It should be a circle like the photo and not an ellipse.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2009
440 Posts
Hi all

Been lurking for a while reading posts and finally took the plunge and ordered my #11 cam from power-gps as advised at page 1.

I already downloaded the no time stamp firmware as I would like this removed is it OK to use this firmware irrespective of the version of camera I receive from him as long as its defo a #11 ?

Also have an 8gb card already in my #3 camera that works good in there so ran the speed test and attached here is the result. Will this be sufficient for the #11 camera or will I need to purchase another?

TIA Bill
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:29 AM
The Netherlands, GR, Groningen
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
If I understand this correctly this restriction is related to the file system FAT32. The cam would need to be able to handle NTFS to create files bigger than 4 G if Im not mistaken. Is there even a way to get around this with firmware?
You are absolutely right about the 4Gb limit with FAT32, but I thought the bug was that after the first 4Gb file was saved, a second file should start but it doesn't.
grun is offline Find More Posts by grun
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:43 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:

I have returned two of these cameras, a fake #3 and my original broken #11. In both instances I declared them as "key car remote" which is what they came to me labeled as. No issues with the post office. I would think if it was that important to not allow those things to China they would specifically ask me, which they didn't. Since it originally came from China I don't see the problem. That's why you shouldn't go out of your way explaining every little detail to the post office. Just tell them the bare minimum (whether it is liquid, perishable or not) and be done with it.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:44 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
Current date in right bottom horn on pictures displays me.
I earlier did not see on pictures this near old firmware.
There are no date and time on film, incorrect geometry is.
It should be a circle like the photo and not an ellipse.
Flash the release 2 firmware listed in the FAQ.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Closed Thread