SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
I know that this is an old thread, but I gotta chime in... Those HXT connectors are pure crap. I melted 2 of them -- in a lowly duratrax evader with a 2s battery.

93 amps my rear.

Use deans - *real ones*, or (much) better yet, use EC5 connectors especially for high current applications. I run them on my GTP2 and it regularly exceeds 200A sustained on speed runs. They don't even get warm.
Hmmm that's funny that you've melted them. I've had no problems or heat and I've been running them at near 70amps. The only burn't hxt banana connectors I have are from two 3s sky lipo's that I accidently hooked up to eachother, like a noob.
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
I've found that RC connector quality varies a great deal.
This is brand to brand and even within the same type of connectors, same brand!
Interchangability can be an issue as well.
As an e example, some HXT's can and routinely do handle 90 amps without heating or melting.
But also, some can't.
Good contact on a wide area on any connector is essential.
Good soldering technique is very important too.
Connector ends must mate tightly to have as low electrical resistance as possible and be resistant to being pulled apart for best results.
Just my experience,
Cheers,
Dan
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Hey all - I recently bought a set of sky lipos and did a search to find the right charging lead and balancing adapter. It took a while to find it, so I thought I'd include the link in this thread to help others out. The link below is for the parrallel board, but they also sell an individual plug. Basically, as stated before, the balance plug works with JST/XH balancing adapters, and the charge lead plugs into an hxt 4mm bullet connnector. Hope this helps someone else out:

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...mm-bullet.html

BTW, have ordered from PRogressive RC and All E RC and both have given great service.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey all - I recently bought a set of sky lipos and did a search to find the right charging lead and balancing adapter. It took a while to find it, so I thought I'd include the link in this thread to help others out. The link below is for the parrallel board, but they also sell an individual plug. Basically, as stated before, the balance plug works with JST/XH balancing adapters, and the charge lead plugs into an hxt 4mm bullet connnector. Hope this helps someone else out:

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...mm-bullet.html

BTW, have ordered from PRogressive RC and All E RC and both have given great service.
http://epbuddy.com/ is also great. I have ordered numerous amounts of parallel charging and balancing cords that work with my b6ac charger. There's also single charge cables under the accesories column.

Mike
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears720 View Post
http://epbuddy.com/ is also great. I have ordered numerous amounts of parallel charging and balancing cords that work with my b6ac charger. There's also single charge cables under the accesories column.

Mike

+1 EP buddy's customer service is top notch. I haven't ordered from him, but he helped me enormously when I was researching chargers. Thanks for the add, Mike.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2010
1,151 Posts
Hey guys, I haven't done any research on this yet, but do you know if this parallel charging cord will work with other chargers than the iCharger? I recently bought a Thunder t610 and have been charging my smaller 3s batteries one at a time. It sure would be nice to speed things up a little.
Cub Flyer Fresno is offline Find More Posts by Cub Flyer Fresno
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:37 AM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno View Post
Hey guys, I haven't done any research on this yet, but do you know if this parallel charging cord will work with other chargers than the iCharger? I recently bought a Thunder t610 and have been charging my smaller 3s batteries one at a time. It sure would be nice to speed things up a little.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t610-charger.html If you're talking about this one then it should work. I'm using a skycharger b6ac, nothing in the manual or online hints to parallel charging but I've had no issues at all, parallel charging doesn't really depend on the charger. The t610 looks to have 4mm bullet female so the parallel main discharge tabs would work with a parallel charge cord. the only thing is that it looks to only have one 6s jst-xh female slot on the side, so you would need to buy a board and then a 3s jst-xh parallel charging cord, or just a board that has multible 3s jst-xh slots (the board would most likely have 6 of each 1s, 2s... jst-xh females so that you could also use it to balance different celled lipos). my b6ac has the board built in so i can just plug in any jst-xh parallel balance taps (3s, 4s, 6s, etc...). That might not have made sense so ask me if you still have questions.

Mike
Last edited by dabears720; Nov 06, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:44 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
641 Posts
I don't know what happened to my Sky Lipo batteries, out of the last ten that I have bought five have already gone bad. They are fully charged but after 30 seconds of flight the motors start cutting out, most of them have less than twenty cycles. Has anybody else had any problems?
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
I have 10 6S Sky Lipos...
2 3000mah 30C with 126 cycles each...both still doing good.
4 3300mah 30C with 90 cycles each...all still doing good.
4 3300mah 40C with 69 cycles each...all still doing good.

Hopefully you haven't been leaving them charged for any significant amount of time.
alexf1852 is offline Find More Posts by alexf1852
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,151 Posts
My LHS has a literal pile of them, all bad just like you said. It sounds like they are changing from LiPos to Li-POS!
They (my LHS) is suggesting ROC batteries. I haven't heard of them yet but they say they are pretty good, a little more money but better quality. I started a thread to see is anyone has heard of or used them, not much of a response yet. I want to give them a try. If anyone wants it, I can give you my LHS's number, I hope that's okay with Tom (the owner, really great guy!).

I do have 3 4s 2200mAh 30C batteries, not a whole lot of cycles yet, and 2 3s 2200mAh 40C batteries. One of the 3s (each with about 30 cycles) is loosing a cell.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
I've also had really good luck with Turnigy and Turnigy Nanotech from Hobbyking. I have never had problems and I've used quite a few batts, anywhere from 1s to 4s and 200mah to 3300mah. These two are the only brands I buy from Hobbyking. For example, I use 6 4s 3300mah turnigy 30c lipos for my Habu 2. Whenever I parallel charge or flight discharge, the cells are only a maximum of .012V apart, usually around .004V. The only bad experience I've had with Hobbyking was when I bought a Zippy receiver pack and it came under voltage. Needless to say, that's why I stick with Turnigy and the Nanotechs.

Mike

Plus the Tunigys and Nanotechs are stocked in the USA store.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it will. I have a Hyperion charger. As long as you have female banana plugs inputs for the charge lead, and a JST/XH balance board, it will work fine. You will actually plug the balance lead into your JST/XH balance board, not directly to your charger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,151 Posts
Thanks whichwaysup! (Great, another expense! And I'm doing this why? Oh yeah, It's FUN!)

Thanks
David
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Thanks whichwaysup! (Great, another expense! And I'm doing this why? Oh yeah, It's FUN!)

Thanks
David
My pleasure. When you order it, you will be directed to order the balance plug based on the type of charger you have, and if you dont' have the icharger, it will tell you which one to get.

BTW, if you can hold off a day or two, mine should be arriving shortly. I want to make 100% sure that they work for the sky lipo, so I can report back once i get them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
My pleasure. When you order it, you will be directed to order the balance plug based on the type of charger you have, and if you dont' have the icharger, it will tell you which one to get.

BTW, if you can hold off a day or two, mine should be arriving shortly. I want to make 100% sure that they work for the sky lipo, so I can report back once i get them.
Got all kinds of time. I appriciate the report back. Actually, I'm sure they'll work on Sky LiPos, there's only so many ways you can wire a battery like that. But, I'm waiting anyway, need to earn some more money (need to finish a plane).