HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2014, 04:30 PM
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Thanks for the nice post aeajr. Most of us are in this for fun, and the sharing of ideas (in the right forum, of course), is what the forums are mostly about.

I've wanted to try some XC with the Masala but am a little shy since I don't have much flap, and the approaches are pretty flat, and landing out would require some room. I've had it up to 1650' agl (per the vario), and it looks pretty small there.

There is a little lift from 4:25 - 6:30 or so. The GoPro taped to the wing and the battery taped to the other side didn't help the L/D.

Masala Sailplane and GoPro in poor lift (10 min 35 sec)

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming and safely descending gliders !

Cheers!

SLCPilot
SLCPilot is offline Find More Posts by SLCPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:20 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
161 Posts
Down in NZ we almost 'lost' this glider......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11190004
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:21 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,907 Posts
I like that..."Better to be on the ground wishing you were up there rather than be up there wishing you were on the ground!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:49 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
215 Posts
Yup, there will be days like that! Think of the training required to spoil the lift of a paraglider, semi collapsing the canopy and being ready for it to collapse completely and what to do to recover. Then you find you really didn't lose enough altitude so try again. Miserable experiece for the inexperieced.

Was the vomiting from vertigo or hypothermia stress? Not high enough for anoxia. I'll bet it was a rock and tumble ride!
rrcdoug is offline Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:04 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
215 Posts
Now for the RC end of the moral:
1000 m is about right for I've lost my model in strong lift. This pilot went 30 km before the sink brought him to the surface, helped by the wind tumbling down the other side of the ridge. I think this tells us that, sometimes, we might not have that option to "leave the lift". The toy sailplane might just end up on the other side of the mountain.

I have always had some sort of airbrake/spoiler on all my gliders 3meters and up. I find extreem deflection flaps to work just dandy but they must be rigid enough to prevent flutter. You won't hear it from 3000 feet.
rrcdoug is offline Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:20 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,571 Posts
I have never flown XC. Where I live if I were to try it, landing out would be a huge issue. If I ever give XC a try where I live it will be with an electric glider. This way if I get into trouble and would be at risk of landing "out" I could power up and get the glider to a safe landing.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:28 PM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Jun 2009
19 Posts
Some key points to think about, in my own opinion, when flying in big air is how well is my glider trimmed, how good is my eyesisght, and am I comfortable flying at a distance.

A well trimmed ship will take the knee knocking out of flying high. Why? If it flies by itself with minimal input and it will not break apart unless you over control.This brings up another point. The higher you go the smaller your control inputs should be. There is nothing worse than you inducing a PIO at 2000 feet and watching your airplane go pfffftttt. The majority of time your airplane would probably be overhead in a 20 degree cone and rudder flying is your primary input. Having an airplane with positive stability is the best for cross country. The AVA and Super AVA fit this category. The wingspan has such a high dihedral that when it gets knocked around by a thermal it wants to right itself....if it is trimmed. Neutral stability airplanes like Pikes, Supra's, and the like need constant attention...if they are not trimmed. Even if they are trimmed they still need to be guided. How many contests have you been at when someone started flying someone elses airplane and the resultant pffftttt occurred. The big ball is very unforgiving at times.

My eyesight is very very good, I fly in the ESL where distance flying is preferred to get away from the crowds. When flying x-cross country or just local for that matter, more often than not I will be at cloud base or flying above the edges enroute to anywhere. Why so high? I am comfortable with my equipment and my flying skills. Get comfortable with your trim and your eyesight also. Sunglasses I believe are mandatory. I fly with a brown mirrored lens which enhances the yellow spectrum and cuts the blue down. It crisps up the airplane outline very well at distance.

Lastly, distance flying is a hoot. By that I mean in your local house thermal, find it, climb, and leave it. Keep increasing your distance and get comforatable. How long can I fly without touching the sticks? How far out can I go and tell airplane orientation. More often than not you will find yourself flying much higher overhead than you will farther out. The flying further out requires trust in your airplane trim, confidence in your equipment, and trust in yourself to not bang the sticks at a distance thereby rekitting the airplane at altitude. This is a learned skill. Points to ponder from the large Wally.
Regards,
Wally
wadasczi is offline Find More Posts by wadasczi
Last edited by wadasczi; Feb 10, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:57 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
161 Posts
Nice post wadasczi. I've now got my DLG trimmed where it will hold a 45 deg dive right up to terminal speed with no camber on. Have bailed out of a couple of thermals after my fright and it is great to hear it overhead screaming like a 747. As you say 'This is a learned skill.'
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:40 PM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
659 Posts
Today i had to leave a big thermal (climb rate ~ 12ft/sec) in about 1700ft with an ballasted Xplorer 4X. Full butterfly and it was still climbing. Then i tried something i read some weeks ago: deploy full butterfly, then turn the plane upside-down. That worked! Sinkrate was apr. 30ft per sec. For me it was very easy to control.

Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:12 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner View Post
Today i had to leave a big thermal (climb rate ~ 12ft/sec) in about 1700ft with an ballasted Xplorer 4X. Full butterfly and it was still climbing. Then i tried something i read some weeks ago: deploy full butterfly, then turn the plane upside-down. That worked! Sinkrate was apr. 30ft per sec. For me it was very easy to control.

Bernd
But when the plane is nearly a spec I can not tell what is upside down.

Today I got greedy with the Mirage RES and let her fly herself to a near spec.
Hit the spoilers, but still going up. Had to do some shallow spiral diving. Glad to have the Dr. Drela center wing mod for better flutter avoidance.

But I love having a variometer for safety. It is really important to know if you are going up or down at high altitude. For me this is the primary reason for having a vario.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:37 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,907 Posts
Good points....
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR