HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tconners, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:48 PM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
Rant
Vintage and rare.

I am so sick of seeing this!
Diamonds, gold, 100 year items, women who don’t talk and cook are rare.
NOT you old RC garbage! I wish people would just knock it off.
It's pathetic ok.

Rant off.
tconners is offline Find More Posts by tconners
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:19 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Actually.. There are some kits out there that are rare..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:09 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,745 Posts
wrong thread, ops!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Mar 31, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:36 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,642 Posts
I have to call BS to some degree on the original poster.

If a model kit has been out of production for some time, it clearly may qualify as rare or vintage. The price it is worth is precisely what someone is willing to pay for it....supply vs demand. Stop whining about things being vintage and rare (assuming it actually is)...either pay the price they want or pass it up, or respectfully negotiate a deal that works for both parties.

I occasionally pay a premium price for a older kit or model, if I really want it...... the market for it sets the price. I recently paid significant money for a 25-30 year rare and vintage Cox ARF foamie...the RF-5 Sportavia. (Paid around 178 bucks plus shipping). Worth every penny to me. I recently sold a old but perfect NIB vintage and rare Aristocraft Grumman F3F kit for about 250 bucks and it was worth every penny to the buyer...about 8 times the original price of the kit, but well under the $370 one had brought on Ebay recently.

I regularly see out of production kits or ARFs sold at prices greater than the original street price on here, even if they are recently out of production. And really rare and pristeen older kits and ARFs can command amazing prices on Ebay.

I will agree that the term rare and vintage does get over used and used in misleading ways, especially on Ebay. Personally, I look past the sellers comments and evaluate the item on it's own merit and worth to me.

Just because some sellers have odd notions of what vintage and rare means does not mean that these are not valid terms.

I will always use the terms vintage and rare when the situation warrants. If you don't believe in the terms, simply ignore my ads. I think complaining about it is what is really pathetic.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Apr 03, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have to call BS to some degree on the original poster.

If a model kit has been out of production for some time, it clearly may qualify as rare or vintage. The price it is worth is precisely what someone is willing to pay for it....supply vs demand. Stop whining about things being vintage and rare (assuming it actually is)...either pay the price they want or pass it up, or respectfully negotiate a deal that works for both parties.

I occasionally pay a premium price for a older kit or model, if I really want it...... the market for it sets the price. I recently paid significant money for a 25-30 year rare and vintage Cox ARF foamie...the RF-5 Sportavia. (Paid around 178 bucks plus shipping). Worth every penny to me. I recently sold a old but perfect NIB vintage and rare Aristocraft Grumman F3F kit for about 250 bucks and it was worth every penny to the buyer...about 8 times the original price of the kit, but well under the $370 one had brought on Ebay recently.

I regularly see out of production kits or ARFs sold at prices greater than the original street price on here, even if they are recently out of production. And really rare and pristeen older kits and ARFs can command amazing prices on Ebay.

I will agree that the term rare and vintage does get over used and used in misleading ways, especially on Ebay. Personally, I look past the sellers comments and evaluate the item on it's own merit and worth to me.

Just because some sellers have odd notions of what vintage and rare means does not mean that these are not valid terms.

I will always use the terms vintage and rare when the situation warrants. If you don't believe in the terms, simply ignore my ads. I think complaining about it is what is really pathetic.
Yeap, exactly what Thomas B. Posted!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:06 PM
yuma arizona
Joined Apr 2010
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittspecial View Post
yeap, exactly what thomas b. Posted!
+1:d
ultra stick is offline Find More Posts by ultra stick