HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwol View Post
Anybody in the UK used Bounce filler by Shop4Glue.Com? Tried emailing them numerous times for further information, but no response.
Gave Starloc Adhesives a miss. If they cannot be bothered to reply to emails, do I really want to order anything from them!

I am trying some ram air cooling vents. It seems to me the ones on the fuselage sides are, ineffective, too far back and even with scoops the air is not going over the motor.

Elected to go for a one piece wing, strengthened at mounting position, with servo wiring harness positioned with rubber strap mounts, so as not to be a rigid fixing.

Gradually getting there.
jwol is offline Find More Posts by jwol
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2014, 09:46 PM
Voyager
United States, NC, Reidsville
Joined Sep 2014
40 Posts
Nice paint. Oooooo shiney!

Jwol, What paint did you use on the fuse and wing? Did it take to the Fuse? Full P2K photos please!
NSASarge is offline Find More Posts by NSASarge
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:54 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
74 Posts
Re motor cooling

Hi, using stock set up, took .5 inch off the spinner nose using a belt sander.
The back plate of the spinner has 4 x 1/8 diameter mold marks, drill these out.
Drill 3or 4 holes in the fuse firewall, about 1/8. Do not over do this so as to not weaken the firewall. These holes should line up with the metal and plywood back plates cut outs.
Use air scoops on the front fuse cut outs.
Do allow for cooling exit air for efficient cooling.
I put 2x 1inch diameter holes on the rear of canopy, with reverse spoon scoops.
This solved stock motor cooling.
You could also try the turbo vented spinners.
hi flyer is offline Find More Posts by hi flyer
Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM
Voyager
United States, NC, Reidsville
Joined Sep 2014
40 Posts
OK ... This is a really weird question ...

Has anyone ever looked at trying to make the P2K whistle? Either by cutting appropriate holes/slots in the spinner or some type of whistle attached to the fuse? Yeah ... I know. Who would want to make their silent bird whistle? Well ... If it could be done to the spinner so that it only made noise when the motor is running, that might be a fun cool thing to do. Maybe it would help those of you with those over aggressive magpies that keep attacking your P2K. Just a weird thought I had. The WWII German Stuka had a siren that shrieked as it dove towards the target. Maybe I'll try that machine gun sound system HK has ... just for fun.
NSASarge is offline Find More Posts by NSASarge
Last edited by NSASarge; Yesterday at 12:58 AM. Reason: sp
Old Yesterday, 03:30 AM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSASarge View Post
Has anyone ever looked at trying to make the P2K whistle? Either by cutting appropriate holes/slots in the spinner or some type of whistle attached to the fuse? Yeah ... I know. Who would want to make their silent bird whistle? Well ... If it could be done to the spinner so that it only made noise when the motor is running, that might be a fun cool thing to do. Maybe it would help those of you with those over aggressive magpies that keep attacking your P2K. Just a weird thought I had. The WWII German Stuka had a siren that shrieked as it dove towards the target. Maybe I'll try that machine gun sound system HK has ... just for fun.
Actually I do, there is a thing I think called a Nerf Ball, a football with a tail on it rather like a dart they have a whistle in it which works a treat on my Scout Bee, like so, not really loud, but enough ... you can hear it from the fixed camera shot from the 3.00 minute mark

A Breezy Day at Hallett Cove (18 min 52 sec)
Heppy Ket is offline Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Yesterday at 07:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Feb 2013
108 Posts
Anyone have luck with a 2200? Don't want to buy another battery if I don't need to.
benskoning is offline Find More Posts by benskoning
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,181 Posts
I use Nano-Tech 2200mAh 3S 35-70C Batteries in most of my models including the Phoenix 2000.
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
Joined Feb 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
I use Nano-Tech 2200mAh 3S 35-70C Batteries in most of my models including the Phoenix 2000.
Same batterys I use, How far back is your battery in the plane? I have seem some people have half the battery off the tray.
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benskoning View Post
Anyone have luck with a 2200? Don't want to buy another battery if I don't need to.
I use them in the Phoenix quite often... with a heavy motor (80g) it needs to be all the way back as physically possible (until it touches the mid servo tray) but with a light motor (30-50g) it can sit nicely in the battery try
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,725 Posts
Flew mine this aft, I dont remember it pulling up so much with speed but everything looks the same as it was ie elev, but I still have not done the mod to the stab to level it out so that will need doing ....... Another for the to do list!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
Joined Feb 2013
108 Posts
Thanks for all the help, One more question, Anyone have tips on painting this model? I need something other than white to see in the sky.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Flew mine this aft, I dont remember it pulling up so much with speed but everything looks the same as it was ie elev, but I still have not done the mod to the stab to level it out so that will need doing ....... Another for the to do list!
Nigelsheffield,

When say "Flew mine this aft" Do you mean '....... this afternoon'
OR do you mean you had the battery as aft as JLT_GTI has his battery?!
JLT_GTI Quote:- 'until it touches the mid servo tray'
WOW - That would make my plane WAY too tail heavy - But dunno really though never tried it back there, I really can't imagine having it so far back that it touches the servo tray!!

Looking from above the cockpit straight down on to the battery tray, I've got the battery velcro'd/strapped dead centre of the cockpit- but about 10-15mm back from the front of the battery tray.

I'm pretty sure I still have the stock motor - I've had the plane so looong I can't remember if it's been replaced with a new/heavier motor or not - and I sure don't want to pull it out to check it's weight after all the screwing around I did to strengthen the motor firewall - that we all end up having to do!!

"but I still have not done the mod to the stab to level it out so that will need doing"
What is this mod you speak of ?! - Is that something to do with when you mention "I dont remember it pulling up so much with speed"
I've not needed to do any tailplane mods other than an extra hing on lower part of the rudder.

I just double checked my stab to make sure I hadn't done a mod that I'd forgotten about - like adding a washer or two to the front or rear of the stab to trim it out, but it's mounted on there flat.
However I may have added washers to the motor bolts/screws to tilt the motor down/right, but can't see in there if that's what I did all those years ago. But it's a mod I end up doing on quite of my few planes)

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Today, 04:51 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,725 Posts
Bill,
I meant this afternoon!
The tail mod is simply the incidence , looking at the stab it is set at an up angle and so required a lot of down elev to pick up speed and inverted need so much elev input to stay level.
My 180g battery sits all the way back to the servo tray, but i have a bigger mltor and 50amp esc, its to do with cog so put it where you like it to get the thing to fly as you want, cog is as much a personal preference for pilot os it is for plane.
Some like it forwards for stability and good penetration others like it back for more sensitivity easier turning etc in light lift.
If you want to try a more rear cog then do it a little at a time and be prepared to trim out elev each time and stop when the plane gets too hard to handle,, too far back a cog can make the thing unflyable.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield