HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:51 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfelosi View Post
I am thinking of getting a 9x but it seems like everyone has quit making the mod boards for them. does anyone know of any in the us that has stock?
What boards do you want? The programmer boards are for sale @ smartieparts.com Sky North is not making any more sky9x boards because it was a money loosing proposition.

If you want to mod a 9x for the fun of the project -- go for it. If you want the features of a heavily modified 9x transmitter in an entirely new package wait just a short time ... like April at the Toledo Show when FrSky releases their 9 channel radio with a name yet to be released. This radio will be able to work up to 16 channels using S-bus and will have the entire telemetry, speech, backlight, SD card, programmer, and haptic, speaker, headphone jack all built in from scratch. The CPU is an ARM Cortex 4 and it will have a coprocessor (I think) and will keep real time using a button battery for power.
No price point yet -- but expect it to be mind numbing low for all the features it will have. It will run Open9x right off the bat -- and maybe er9x as well.
scott page is online now Find More Posts by scott page
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,225 Posts
I'm totally confused on the last two posts. This thread is about my programmer board. So I'm sure he's not talking about sky9x and obviously he's not asking about a completely unrelated radio (FrSky)... but jdfelosi, why in the world does it "seem like everybody stopped making it"?? The very first post in this thread gives a link to the product where you'll see its in its 4th generation and very much in stock. There's no "everybody"... its always been just me. And what gave you the impression I ever stopped making them? Or is it that I'm in Canada and you'll only buy from a US store? Well, then you're out of luck I'm afraid. From the beginning I priced it with direct sales in mind. There's not really enough margin in there for 3rd party retailers. Parkeflyer had a go at it for awhile but his site shows no stock and he hasn't ordered more from me.

But yeah, I'm really curious what made you jump to the conclusion that they were no longer being made.

Get the 9x. Get my board or don't... but get the 9x. Its by far and away the best value radio on the market today. Don't bother with the over-hyped 9xr and the FrSky offering isn't something we know anything about to say if its comparable or not. It may be better, it may be worse... it may be $1000 for all we know or it may be $100. Its completely up in the air at this point and its blown by a number of supposed release date estimates so far so there's really no reason to believe the most current estimate is any different. If you're looking for a radio now, get a 9x. Mod it as you see fit with the tools you want.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Get the 9x. Get my board or don't...
Do get the board, it's an absolute breeze to fit and use.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:31 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
593 Posts
+1

I have the new 9XR but also my 9X with Steven's board installed and its great too.

Steven, he's a 1 post member so I would not get too worked up mate - not worth it.
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
412 Posts
Had my Sky9x rev 1 board for ages with no problems. Best thing I did, it even talks to me. The Frsky system was talked about before the 9xR and that took long enough...
Fugbucker is offline Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:47 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfelosi View Post
I am thinking of getting a 9x but it seems like everyone has quit making the mod boards for them. does anyone know of any in the us that has stock?
I'm going to assume the above question is legitimate and that the poster is just new here.

Get your board here:

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

I'm in the US and ordered mine and it was a breeze. Great customer service.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:19 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I'm totally confused on the last two posts. This thread is about my programmer board... - Steven

So what is this Programmer Board you speak of, Steven?
What do we use it for?

LOL, jk. I own 2 of your boards and some other Smartie Parts bits.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
618 Posts
Has anyone here installed OpenTX on their 9X remote with a SmartieParts board?
If so what all did you use for software?

I just ordered the 9x Solderless Programmer Board Rev 2.4 and would like to try OpenTX instead of er9x.
danpos is online now Find More Posts by danpos
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,225 Posts
I'm sure thousands have

or er9x use eepe, for opentx use Companion.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:47 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
618 Posts
I'm going to use opentx with Companion on my pc.
Is there any version of either I need in particular with the 9x Solderless Programmer Board Rev 2.4?
Also I plan on using a second remote as a buddybox. Is it easy to configure a second remote with Open9X?

I received my Smartieparts board today from SmartieParts.com
Very fast delivery
I don't think I'll wait for the illumination panel from Hobbyking. I never found it very useful in my old remote anyway.
I assume you don't need to use it anyway.

Flashed the FW. Worked like a charm.
Now to get into programming.
danpos is online now Find More Posts by danpos
Last edited by danpos; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,225 Posts
No, the backlight most certainly isn't required.

There's no particular version for use with the SP board, except where it relates to the backlight. For that, you'll want to have the "sp22" option selected in companion before downloading the firmware. That's refering to the fact that starting with SP revision 2.2, the backlight control is inverted (on by default and needs to be turned off rather than off by default and needs to be turned on)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:51 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
If you use a diode I believe you will lose an additional 0.7 volts or more depending on the diode. Starting with a 2S battery plus diode voltage loss you battery will not power the Tx for very long.

I used this battery http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20638

It last for a long time and fits perfectly in the battery compartment.
I finally ordered that battery as I haven't been well. (spinal op) and after reading a bit more about it took the plunge. Thank you.

Question. Can it be charged through the TX charge jack or should I remove it ?
Do I charge it thru the black plug if I remove it ?
I read that using the charge jack in these transmitters you should keep the charge milliamps low. Correct?
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Apr 19, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:42 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
I finally ordered that battery as I haven't been well. (spinal op) and after reading a bit more about it took the plunge. Thank you.

Question. Can it be charged through the TX charge jack or should I remove it ?
Do I charge it thru the black plug if I remove it ?
I read that using the charge jack in these transmitters you should keep the charge milliamps low. Correct?
NO! Don't charge it in the transmitter. Remove it and charge using proper Lipo charger/balancer.
scott page is online now Find More Posts by scott page
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:33 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,946 Posts
Thanks Scott.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:12 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
I just received my spartieparts board and EZ Telemetry. I installed both using the instructions on the smartie parts website. Everything went in smooth and seemed like everything was fine. I turned on my 9X and I am getting a switch error. I opened it back up and checked all connections. Everything looks good. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Charlie
Charlie6017 is offline Find More Posts by Charlie6017