SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by agentorange90
Joined Dec 2014
291 Posts
Discussion
UMX Radian appreciation

Really enjoying the Radian after 6 months. Out of the 4 Horizon Hobby planes I have(night vapor, Microt T-28, Sport Cub S) this is the only one I would buy again. Just great value for 89 bucks. It's easy to fly, handles winds up to 15 mph, hard to crash, handles crashes, low maintenance, ect, ect. I let my wife try to fly it and she had a brutal landing on a sidewalk, had to re-attach the rudder pushrod and slightly creased the wing but still flies just like new. Other than that I had to glue the tail back on. I think the wide wingspan(28 inches)was an engineering A+ for a micro. It just makes it really, really stable(along w/ AS3X). I have been flying it w/o the wing screwed in and does fine. I also had a 808 keychain camera I mounted w/ velcro. I got a few good videos before the camera died. A few guys fly the big Radian at my field; another awesome plane but just a bit big for me. Can't say enough good things about this plane.
agentorange90 is offline Find More Posts by agentorange90
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by propwash17
United States, NJ, Bergenfield
Joined Jun 2004
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange90 View Post
Really enjoying the Radian after 6 months. Out of the 4 Horizon Hobby planes I have(night vapor, Microt T-28, Sport Cub S) this is the only one I would buy again. Just great value for 89 bucks. It's easy to fly, handles winds up to 15 mph, hard to crash, handles crashes, low maintenance, ect, ect. I let my wife try to fly it and she had a brutal landing on a sidewalk, had to re-attach the rudder pushrod and slightly creased the wing but still flies just like new. Other than that I had to glue the tail back on. I think the wide wingspan(28 inches)was an engineering A+ for a micro. It just makes it really, really stable(along w/ AS3X). I have been flying it w/o the wing screwed in and does fine. I also had a 808 keychain camera I mounted w/ velcro. I got a few good videos before the camera died. A few guys fly the big Radian at my field; another awesome plane but just a bit big for me. Can't say enough good things about this plane.

Hi, thanks for the overview. It sounds like fun. I learned how to fly 3D with the original UMX Xtra 300 (the red one without AS3X) it was a great, super easy plane to fly, because of its light weight. I think it was the best flying UMX model that eflite ever made, before AS3X. My only complaint is they continue to use brushed motors, which just don't last. Enjoy that Radian, enjoyed your input. Cheers, Ron
propwash17 is online now Find More Posts by propwash17
Old Jun 19, 2015, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by mudcamper
renewbie
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined May 2015
10 Posts
I just picked up a UMX Radian as well. Most of my experience before this is in back yard / park ultra micro warbirds, which are a kick, but I am amazed how high and how long I can fly the little Radian.

I tried putting an 808 #16 cam on the belly of the UMX Radian, on only my third flight with it, and am amazed how well it still flies pulling an extra half of it's weight.

Link to that first video, flew/filmed just this morning:

UMX Radian, 808 #16 Cam mounted on belly of the plane (8 min 28 sec)
mudcamper is online now Find More Posts by mudcamper
Old Jun 19, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange90 View Post
Really enjoying the Radian after 6 months. Out of the 4 Horizon Hobby planes I have(night vapor, Microt T-28, Sport Cub S) this is the only one I would buy again.
You wouldn't buy the T-28 again? The other day I took my T-28 and Whipit out to fly and found that I'd forgotten my screwdriver to mount the wing on the Whipit. In utter disgust, I ran four batteries through the T-28 and all I could do is grin stupidly. I had utterly forgotten how much fun that thing is to fly!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,938 Posts
FWIW I have small back up tool box in car. Never hurts have some screw drivers/ pliers/ allen wrenches just in case. Or h ave pre field flight list as not to show up with no TX. Friend drove down from Phoenix to fly areo-towe Scale 1/3 size. Brought three gliders and forgot wing rods for one he really wanted to fly.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 20, 2015, 07:00 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
5,822 Posts
In spite of plans and safety measures, fate steps in, and usually it's for good reason. I probably wouldn't have even flown the Trojan that day. But taking the Whipit out gave me no choice but to have one of the finest flying sessions I've ever had.

My Slow Stick, since it doesn't need to be assembled at the flying site, softened me up and made me lazy.

You know, agentorange picked four of the finest micros ever built and said that the Radian was so superior that the others really don't count. That's mighty high praise.
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jun 20, 2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by mu2freighter
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You wouldn't buy the T-28 again? The other day I took my T-28 and Whipit out to fly and found that I'd forgotten my screwdriver to mount the wing on the Whipit. In utter disgust, I ran four batteries through the T-28 and all I could do is grin stupidly. I had utterly forgotten how much fun that thing is to fly!
Definitely concur.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of years and recently got back to it a bit with my Champ and new Radian. Once I've brushed off some more of the rust the T-28's going flying again. It really is a suberb design, from its effortless aerobatic ability to its ease of handling in the pattern.

I am really taken with the Radian, they really got it right with it. The usual micro shortcomings are minimal, the folding prop with the motor brake work brilliantly and the thing just doesn't want to come out of the sky.

That said, all three are top choices for what they do best. I still maintain the Champ's the best trainer I've ever seen right out of the box and is such a pleasure to fly and such a good looker that I never get bored with it no matter how current my skills are.

Every year or two I say the same thing, and it just keeps getting more true: there's never been a better time to be in the hobby.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jun 21, 2015, 04:05 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
5,822 Posts
The whole list there are just brilliant planes.