SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by fpvranger
Joined May 2015
2 Posts
Discussion
Long range rc boat possible?

Im thinking about a project to build a rc boat which can travell 50km from land to sea.

The thing i wonder about is, how can controll it from so faar away? 5,8 ghz will never work. Any ideas ?

Thanks
fpvranger is offline Find More Posts by fpvranger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by green-boat
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,726 Posts
A very BIG antenna.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old May 26, 2015, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,256 Posts
Autonomous.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 26, 2015, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,917 Posts
Satellite and ham band wavelengths.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 26, 2015, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by steveciambrone1
United States, CA, Castaic
Joined Jun 2014
97 Posts
Guys,
We have to watch how questions like this are asked and by whom. New sign up of the forum asking about a remotely controlled vehicle to travel a long distance.
Could easily be a terrorist fishing for technical information or an enemy of what ever country you reside in.
Yes, the information may exist on the net and be available, but do you want to be the one to provide it to them?
Technology like this is controlled under export laws of the USA, and even if you are in another country they could still controlled by the USA, sorry but it does work that way sometimes. Your own country will have similar laws.
Even if you are not familiar with the technology export laws you can still go to jail for it, if technology is passed, without the proper license.
Beware, the old saying "Loose Lips, Sinks Ships", still applies just as much as during the previous wars. The world is still a dangerous place.

Steve
steveciambrone1 is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone1
Old May 26, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
1,654 Posts
Wrap 10 feet of aluminum foil around your antennas.
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old May 27, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveciambrone1 View Post
Guys,
We have to watch how questions like this are asked and by whom. New sign up of the forum asking about a remotely controlled vehicle to travel a long distance.
Could easily be a terrorist fishing for technical information or an enemy of what ever country you reside in.
Yes, the information may exist on the net and be available, but do you want to be the one to provide it to them?
Technology like this is controlled under export laws of the USA, and even if you are in another country they could still controlled by the USA, sorry but it does work that way sometimes. Your own country will have similar laws.
Even if you are not familiar with the technology export laws you can still go to jail for it, if technology is passed, without the proper license.
Beware, the old saying "Loose Lips, Sinks Ships", still applies just as much as during the previous wars. The world is still a dangerous place.

Steve
Terrorists and enemy nations already have all this information and technology available to them, and no, it is not controlled under export laws as a lot of this RC stuff we use comes from the Far East anyways. China has no qualms about selling to questionable clients.

By all means, ignore these pie-in-the-sky threads started by one-hit wonders, but don't pretend it's because the NSA will kick down your door if you tell someone how to plug a servo into a receiver.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old May 27, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by steveciambrone1
United States, CA, Castaic
Joined Jun 2014
97 Posts
Not entirely true, for example, you could put everything together from commercial parts from China, like a model airplane with a camera on it, sell it to a foreign national, and you just provided them with a remotely piloted drone used for surveillance.
That is a violation of the export laws and can be prosecuted for it. In the US and Canada, products made in Canada can and do fall under US export restrictions also.
Even though someone else may be doing it, you don't want to. it is the FBI who will be asking the questions.

I agree with the one thread wonders with some obscure question which no one else is doing, sometimes I say to myself, if they have to ask, then they do not have the technical ability to do it anyway, no matter how much help they ask for.

Steve
steveciambrone1 is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone1
Old May 30, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,836 Posts
If the OP is not a troll , they could have clearly described what they want to do. At least they had the decency to make a suspicious request for information like a good terrorist.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 31, 2015, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by fpvranger
Joined May 2015
2 Posts
Haha, thanks everyone who has replied to this thread, quite impressed about some of the response back.

First time i have been suspicious as a terrorist on a forum

Quote:
Guys,
Reason for this was my first question on this forum was because i asked the same question on local forum for rc/hobbies. And one of them referred me to rcgroups.com , and said i should try to ask them about it. So i did

Anyway, found what i was looking for, thanks to some users here and lots of research.
fpvranger is offline Find More Posts by fpvranger
Old Jun 01, 2015, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,887 Posts
R/C reception is pretty much line of sight. If the model is beyond your ability to see it, what is the point---?
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by Leo Franco
Joined Dec 2013
42 Posts
looks like more an unmanned warship than a RC boat, with GPS guiding system. Even more, with sonar system to avoid colliding into rocks or anything else.
Leo Franco is offline Find More Posts by Leo Franco
Old Jun 03, 2015, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,071 Posts
Just as a point of interest about the discussion about long range control of model boats, and why we must turn a wary eye to persons who ask about such items, is due in fact of terrorist implications.

Many years ago, before the DRONE craze, I had a visit from the local FBI agent to my hobby shop, who requested that if a person, unknown by me, (not a regular customer), came in looking for a remote controlled plane or car that could in fact carry packages any distance, to take note and notify the FBI of the person and the sale information. This was before 911 which go to show that they were thinking along the lines of a terrorist attack with a radio controlled vehicle.

With the advent of drones, and now with the capability of programmed GPS control, I can see where the threat becomes very much more real. .I do not think it will be too much longer that we will see a crack down on the proliferation of the drones of all types, where the operator can be taken out of the equation for the operation and flight of the drone.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by Habanero
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Guys,
I was thinking of this thread when I read this:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/battery...212623291.html
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,583 Posts
Guys,

I am sure, they (various gov. agencies) monitor RCG, and other similar sites. Plus, they occasionally "visit" us, at our club runs. We have had the same requests. Just "think", before commenting or answering.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Last edited by CaptCB; Jun 24, 2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Better explanation of comment,