New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by williwoods
United States, CA, Culver City
Joined Mar 2009
20 Posts
Question
Need a new charger for Lipo packs, Hitec X4 or X1 or ?

I am getting ready to buy a real battery charger to replace the RTF charger that came with my Glimpse. I have a few questions and would love some feedback.

I am looking at both the Hitec X4 and X1 as solutions. I like the X4 alot but know that its only for 1S batteries. The X1 costs more but will handle any battery I may need in the future once I start building brushless builds. I will more than likely only ever do micro Quads and maybe some planes though.

I have batteries with micro JST and standard JST batteries for now only.

What I am getting hung up on is if I go with the X4 I will also need 4 micro JST to JST adapter cables or maybe Molex to JST would be better. therefore I am leaning towards the X1 and getting a quad JST adapter cable to charge four batteries at once. I know it will cost more but it seems silly to have to have four adapters for each battery......i dont know. For those of you that have the X4 how are you charging your JST batteries? Is there another charger I should consider?

any suggestions?
williwoods is offline Find More Posts by williwoods
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2015, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williwoods View Post
I am getting ready to buy a real battery charger to replace the RTF charger that came with my Glimpse. I have a few questions and would love some feedback.

I have a few questions too. What is a Glimpse? Please provide links to equipment so we all know what you are talking about.

I am looking at both the Hitec X4 and X1 as solutions.

Again please provide links to the equipment you reference. There are several Hitec X4 chargers. Which one are you looking at?

I like the X4 alot but know that its only for 1S batteries. The X1 costs more but will handle any battery I may need in the future once I start building brushless builds. I will more than likely only ever do micro Quads and maybe some planes though.

I have batteries with micro JST and standard JST batteries for now only.

What I am getting hung up on is if I go with the X4 I will also need 4 micro JST to JST adapter cables or maybe Molex to JST would be better. therefore I am leaning towards the X1 and getting a quad JST adapter cable to charge four batteries at once. I know it will cost more but it seems silly to have to have four adapters for each battery......i dont know. For those of you that have the X4 how are you charging your JST batteries? Is there another charger I should consider?

Probably the X1 would be best. How much cost are you talking about?

any suggestions?
Also please provide the specs of your batteries (cell count and mAh). Knowing the whole spec could make it easier to recommend a charger.

May I suggest you read this: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

There may be something there that will help with your dilemma. There certainly is a lot there about the care and feeding of LiPo batteries.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by Photolad61
United States, CA, Antelope
Joined Nov 2014
396 Posts
You're very limited with the X4, I think you would be better served for any battery type with the X1 AC Plus. Even if it wasn't for having to buy the adapters to use with the X4.
I have 2 of the X1's and always parallel charge for my 1S 600 - 950 mah batteries. I use a 1-6 parallel cable, not sure if it's micro or regular JST.
I also charge 2S 4200 - 6600 mah batteries for my 1/10 buggies and 4WD truck.
Also with the X1 you have storage mode which is great for unused batteries. Many will say stay away from the 50 watt models, but it works well for my needs, I like to use AC, but it also does DC.
Photolad61 is online now Find More Posts by Photolad61