Old Oct 13, 2015, 02:32 AM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
3,056 Posts
Build Log
Holman Fw190D9 - Giant Scale Electric Build

I am perhaps the slowest builder on RCGroups, but things in life have calmed a little and I have once again started to get the building bug. I've only built one other scale plane before, and that took 5 years! Still has not been flown at the time of this post but soon. Life just got so busy...

So settle in for a long drawn out journey!

A friend of mine managed to bring a Holman Fw190D9 kit from the US back to Australia for me as checked in baggage back in 2009 - the box is nearly as tall as I am! I went a bit kit crazy at that time and purchased several kits with lots of accessories to complete. I have since had counselling. Since then it has sat on my shelf in the garage waiting patiently.

I have always loved the Fw190D9. It is ugly and beautiful all at once and I have always wanted to build one. I have a Top Flite kit of this plane as well but I figure I should build the big one now or I may never get to it!

The other day I pulled all of the boxes down and laid things out to get enthused. I have:
  • The Bob Holman Fw190D9 glass fuse kit
  • Holman wood wing short kit (the original has a foam core wing)
  • Sierra pneumatic main and tailwheel retracts - if I had bought these now I would have gone electric
  • Sierra spinner
  • Pilot eager and waiting (lucky he won't age)

The kit actually comes with a lot of extra glass parts, like the rear of the canopy, gun hood, cowl, belly pan, and supercharger scoop. It also comes with the 2 different types of canopy, the more bubble type and the flat. It also has a cockpit kit of sorts but I will see if it will serve the purpose or not as I get a little further along. I plan on scaling this out as much a possible as I really enjoy the process. I have access to a range of 3D printers at work so I may explore that option for making some of the smaller details, we will have to see.

I am not looking to rush it and can't say how long it will take me. However, each time I work on it I do plan to add a running tally of the time invested - out of curiosity more than anything else.

So, if you are so inclined I'd love to have you along for the ride as I slowly tinker away.

Unboxing - 00:30 minutes
Cumulative time to date - 00:30 minutes
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Oct 13, 2015 at 02:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2015, 02:59 AM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
3,056 Posts
Inspiration - schemes

Of course I think we all have a scheme picked out before we start any build. For me the painting is the most interesting part and what I look forward to the most.

I have narrowed it down to 2 schemes which will probably draw groans from the gallery... You may have seen them 100 times before but I really love both of these. I will build both schemes between the 2 Fw190D9 kits I have, but I am still undecided on which scheme to go with for this build.

Option 1 - Red 1 from JV44
Yes yes I know. Not another bloody Red 1. BUT - it is using more up to date information about the colour of the wings vs the rest of the fuselage. And I have loved the candy stripes ever since I first saw the scheme years ago. Red 1 is the best example out of all the documented JV44 Doras in my opinion - so it goes on my list. I have Jerry Crandall's book Doras of the Galland Circus and came across the model in the images below that show a different camouflage colour on the wings based upon new interpretations of the existing photographs by Crandall et al since the publication of the definitive book. I LOVE the junkyard we threw it together look so this is why this scheme is on the table.

Option 2 - Blue 12 of II./JG6 (there is a debate whether it is Black 12)
Again, yes I know. You have probably seen this one a thousand times as well. BUT I absolutely love the aesthetic of this plane - the mismatches in the paint because of the desperation at the end of the war. Plus, I have gathered a fair bit of info about the scheme. I even found this 9 second video of the real plane being towed after its surrender to the allies (if anyone knows where the rest of this footage is please let me know)!

Fw-190D-9 W.Nr. 500570 Blue 12 (0 min 9 sec)

So... Choices choices! I'll show some of the documentation I have to work with a little later...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by Chris F
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,134 Posts
Hi Gree, I'll be watching all the way. I love your work. I see you've still got your Parkzone FW 190!
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:04 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,596 Posts
I'm in.

It took me four years to build my Holman Dora. Build at your leisure. Obviously, I do.

I vote for Red !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by rossaer
Joined Aug 2008
781 Posts
I'm in.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Oct 13, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
967 Posts
Subscribed!
BuildItWright is online now Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Oct 14, 2015, 02:05 AM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
3,056 Posts
Thanks guys. Nice to know I'll be able to get some advice along the way.

Tom I followed your build and was sad to hear about the wing on the maiden. Did you ever build a new one?

Chris, the parkzone has been retired for some time. The airframe is just too stressed and 'flexy' to fly any longer.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by jhspring
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
6,303 Posts
Hey Gree, your're still alive! Shouldn't you maiden that Jug sometime before you start collecting Social Security?

This will be fun to follow. Your work is meticulous and I always learn lots. I had the Alpha Red 1 from the Parrot Squadron and while you can't argue that the plane is certainly easy to orient on in flight, it always looked a bit cartoonish to me.

Get cracking man!
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 14, 2015, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,596 Posts
[QUOTE=Gree;32935145]

Tom I followed your build and was sad to hear about the wing on the maiden. Did you ever build a new one?

QUOTE]

The wing was fixable, but I never got around to doing so. I sold the model and I haven't seen it, or heard anything about it, since.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
3,056 Posts
Hysol

Some advice from more experienced builders out there...

I have read in many build threads that people use Hysol to fix wooden formers etc to the fibreglass fuse because of its superior strength. I have not used this product before, and notice that there are a few variants available here in Australia (E-00NS, E30CL, E60NC, E20HP).

What exact type do people use?

No time for building again for a little while... But should start in earnest in a week or two...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by flyboyken
Ken Stuhr
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
467 Posts
Hi Gree

I used this scheme on my Alpha D-9 years ago and love it. The markings are semi-ficticious but the colors are correct. I used Testors military enamels.
flyboyken is offline Find More Posts by flyboyken
Old Oct 30, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by demire
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
1,134 Posts
Awesome...
demire is online now Find More Posts by demire
Old Oct 30, 2015, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2007
1,134 Posts
Looking forward to seeing another Holman come together..
Old Oct 30, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
3,056 Posts
I was hoping you'd pop by Demire!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
1,134 Posts
I was doing some Google searching for fw190 500570 and your thread popped up. Ironicly, that's the variant I'm considering for my fokkerc 1/4 dora.

Even if you consider yourself a slow builder, you'll be amazed how fast and easy this will come together especially with the wing kit.

Looking forward to your post.