Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by AndroidLV
Latvia, Rīgas pilsēta, Riga
Joined Aug 2013
113 Posts
Build Log
FPV Raptor build

Hi!

After considering for a while I finally decided to create a thread dedicated to my raptor build.

A bit from a history:
I started RC flying in april 2013 with the AXN FloaterJet - my first rc plane. Before that I was training on a simulator just to get the feel of it. From the start I was considering FPV, and wanted to build the plane gradually, without a hurry. But then in may 2013 a friend of mine decided to sell his Bixler 1.1 fully equipped with fpv gear, at a very sweet price, and I bought it.
Through the summer I was flying and enjoying it, but soon realised that with its small capacity I need another, bigger airframe. I want a bigger range (hence bigger battery), and the ability to carry additional weight of a gopro in a case. After some reading on the forums and browsing online stores and doing some cost comparison (price + shipping), I ordered the FPV raptor from HK Europe warehouse.
I received the plane in july, but had no free time, so I maidened it in stock setup LOS in the end of august. After some unsuccessful hand lounches and more reading I decided that I want to build it my way.
The goal is to build an efficcient middle range (max 10km) FPV plane using some of the bixler equipment, that should be easy to take apart for transportation and storage, so the wings should be easily detatchable, as well as the tail assembly.

So the long story short, my setup is this:
1. 1.6m FPV Raptor airframe
2. Twin motor conversion
3. 2x2826 NTM 1100KV motors
4. 2xTurnigy Plush 30A esc
5. 7xTurnigy 9g MG servos
6. FrSky Tx/Rx

7. Ardupilot Mega 2560 with GPS and Airspeed sensor
8. Remzibi OSD with HazyOSD firmware
9. 3A Turnigy UBEC
10. PZ0420H flight camera 1
11. Gopro 3B flight camera 2
12. Turnigy cam switch
13. ReadymadeRC 1.3GHz VTx with CL antenna and filter
14. Some flight batteries and maybe a separate video battery - I have 1x 3s 5000mAh Nanotech, 2x 3s 4000mAh Zippy flightmax, and some 1000mAh zippy 3s and 2s batteries, or use a 5v step-down from balance port of flight battery.
15. 9047 SF props

Here is a scheme of how I plan to place all the parts on the plane

At this point I've almost finished with the airframe - relocated the servos to the tail - I'll use 2 servos for elevator, as it tends to skew if the force is applied at one side, made motor mounts from some foamy plastic, and also redone the wing and tail attachment.

Now I have 2 questions:
1. Is it crucial for the plane to be ballanced along the nose-tail axis, or some grams won't affect the flight?
2. Which of the wires shown in the scheme are prone to interference - which of them whould be twisted?

This build will be a slow one, as I don't have much time to spend on it very often, but I'll post the progress from time to time.

Here are some pics of the plane as it is now.

Motor mounts:

Rx in the wing

Motor mount with esc mounted on it

Tail:

Tail assembled. The holes in the nut's "ears" are for a thin wire to tie them together so they wouldn't come loose during flights.

Wing mount:

And the plane as it is at the moment:
AndroidLV is offline Find More Posts by AndroidLV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2014, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by mons2b
Joined Jul 2007
371 Posts
Excellent work. I'm sure others here will agree. Looks really nice. Will you put landing gear on this or leave as belly lander?
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Old Jan 19, 2014, 03:02 AM
Joined Aug 2013
113 Posts
Thanks!
No landing gear, where I usually fly the grass is rather tall and ground a bit bumpy.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by hitm4n
Silent But Deadly
Belgium, Brussels
Joined Jun 2009
44 Posts
Nice build !

Why the Twin motor choice ? did you finish the plane ?

About the interference, you did quite a good plan i guess, all the rx stuff on one side and tx things on the other
hitm4n is offline Find More Posts by hitm4n
Old Jul 29, 2014, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2013
113 Posts
Well, it seems I've more or less finished the build, but haven't taken any pics or maidened it yet!
As soon as I get back to my summer house where the raptor now lives, I'll take some photos and post them here.
Meanwhile I'm looking for settings for the APM - it still has the bixler settings, which I suppose are rather ok, but still not sure..

About the motor choice - just to give it more thrust for easier launches - packed with all the electronics it weighs enough to make a hand launch with the single motor a PITA.. Now it should be considerably better.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Racin8de
United States, RI, Warwick
Joined Jan 2015
12 Posts
Where did the rest of the images go? I can see the first one but the others seem to have disappeared ?
Racin8de is offline Find More Posts by Racin8de
RCG Plus Member