New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by Hugo Flynow
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,687 Posts
The groove is in both the fuse and wing. maybe I compromised the wing...maybe not. Time will tell I guess...but the groove is only 1/4 inch deep and the wing feels very solid. I like the gasket idea, but it's not what I thought of at the time. that's the beauty of this board...hearing other people's ideas. I have learned more in the last 3 months on this board than the last 10 years of flying.
Hugo Flynow is offline Find More Posts by Hugo Flynow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by riggerdood
Joined Jul 2015
69 Posts
Put everything back together, and all seems to be well. Had to scrape a bit of silicone off of the servo contacts on the rx to get them to make good contact, but otherwise all is well. Will fly again once we are done with our "one week of winter" ... <grin>
riggerdood is online now Find More Posts by riggerdood
Old Jan 24, 2016, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Out Standing In The Field
United States, CT, Middletown
Joined Feb 2014
1,171 Posts
Throttle/Elevator "Trim Mix"

I was just flying the Tidewater off of the snowy hayfield (we had about a foot of powder yesterday - the first real snowfall of the season). There was a light North wind, easily compensated by the Lemon stabilized receiver (no annoying wing rocking). But when doing landing approaches, cutting the throttle back resulted in the plane nosing up to the point that "bad things will happen" if either some down elevator or some up throttle didn't get applied.

A while back, d_toolman posted that he'd programmed a throttle/elevator mix in:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=423

I think I'd like to give it a try, and wondered if anyone else had experimented with this as well. Any hints or tips? (d-toolman is certainly very welcome, too!).
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Jan 24, 2016, 07:38 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,687 Posts
I flew my Tidewater off snow today too! When I cut throttle, it sort of just wallows in the sky and has no glide slope at all. It flew like it was tailheavy, so I checked CG and found it very noseheavy, so go figure. I just think that high up motor pod really messes up the weight distrubution. No Stab on mine BTW. Other than that it flies OK and taxis great off 10" of snow!

I think you just need to keep throttle up on landing...almost like a warbird.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by roversgonemad
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
964 Posts
The high thrust line definitely contributes to some interesting flying characterisitcs. What you are both describing seems a bit extreme; are your power pods tight? Mine climbs a little on initial throttle chop, but not so extreme that it seems tail heavy. The tall power pod adds a lot of drag as well, likely contributing to the tail heavy behavior. Honestly, with power off, the glide isn't too bad, but it's definitley a plane that prefers a little throttle on landing. I have found that the tidewater has to be flown at all times. It's not really a "hands off" flyer.
roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Last edited by roversgonemad; Jan 24, 2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by oscarmok
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2013
837 Posts
I took the Tidewater out for snow flying this morning. The flight time needs to cut short (from 7 mins down to 4mins). One thing I like about Tidewater is the ability to fly during winter time.

Tidewater snow flying (2 min 50 sec)
oscarmok is online now Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Jan 24, 2016, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,171 Posts
Good points, guys! My problem is almost all the places I can fly (water or snow) have tall trees not that far away. It's kind of like STOL time all the time. The other option is low altitude/tight turn to final, but that doesn't leave much room for error - and error is my co-pilot. I do like landing it, just trying to figure out a way to lower the "pilot load" (and lessen the chance of a splashdown (snowdown?)).

Oscarmok, you've got way less snow than we do! I remember the 2014 video of you flying while it snowed - liked that one, too. Do you want some of our nice, new snow? I'd like to get rid of some! The snowmobiles carved deep ruts all over the field.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 07:43 AM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
Good points, guys! My problem is almost all the places I can fly (water or snow) have tall trees not that far away. It's kind of like STOL time all the time. The other option is low altitude/tight turn to final, but that doesn't leave much room for error - and error is my co-pilot. I do like landing it, just trying to figure out a way to lower the "pilot load" (and lessen the chance of a splashdown (snowdown?)).

Oscarmok, you've got way less snow than we do! I remember the 2014 video of you flying while it snowed - liked that one, too. Do you want some of our nice, new snow? I'd like to get rid of some! The snowmobiles carved deep ruts all over the field.
If possible your best chance is to take off and land in a headwind...that should help!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
3,724 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked but this thread is 88 pages long... lol

What is a suitable replacement motor? I can't find any of the Flyzone motor's in stock anywhere from Tower to eBay. Thank you for any help
ApexpredatorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
Old Feb 21, 2016, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,171 Posts
We went through this a few pages back:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1262

No one (to my knowledge) has come up with a bolt-in substitute other than the stock one.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
941 Posts
I put an extra quad mtr I had in mine, right from the get-go...(2822/1800KV and a simonk 30 amp ESC) never looked back. I also run a DJI self-tighting prop too. But I did have glue a plywood firewall in cuz the OEM one came loose.
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Last edited by HuskyDude; Feb 22, 2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
3,724 Posts
I found a motor that fits in the pod but not in the motor mount. It might be a tad bit over board but it's a eflite 1020 kv 480 motor lol. Should have a ton of power.

I don't know much about prop and Motor combos but will the stock prop be okay with the eflite motor?

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1505
ApexpredatorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:41 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,687 Posts
Sounds like your next purchase is a wattmeter!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by CyberJay
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,693 Posts
I think the 450 would probably be a better choice from a power standpoint, but it is a longer motor front to back, so it might not fit that well. Plus the lower KV, it would want a larger prop too, which just won't fit on the tidewater.

Anyway, to answer your question, the stock prop will work fine on the 480. I typically use a 10x7, 10x8, 11x6, 11x7, or even a 12x6 on that motor. You won't really develop the power that the motor is capable of with the props that the Tidewater can fit.

It would probably be ideal to find a 1100-1400kv motor that you could run a slightly smaller prop on and get maximum power.

-J
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by riggerdood
Joined Jul 2015
69 Posts
Lucked out and found one here back in January:

http://www.amazon.com/Flyzone-Motor-...zone+tidewater

but it looks like they're out of stock now.

FWIW, at some point they changed the designation of part # FLZA6332 from 28-30-1300 kV to 28-17-1250 kV. Doesn't seem to make much difference performance-wise - still plenty of power.
riggerdood is online now Find More Posts by riggerdood