New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2015, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by arniebud
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
since there are already numerous presets from the factory, I don't understand the benefits you show.
Also, I am trying to decide if the ccs software would be an assistance to me. I am not trying to select a new charger.
Arnie
arniebud is offline Find More Posts by arniebud
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniebud View Post
since there are already numerous presets from the factory, I don't understand the benefits you show.
Also, I am trying to decide if the ccs software would be an assistance to me. I am not trying to select a new charger.
Arnie
I find it useful. Maybe you would not. However you can download it without charge. You can look it over even if you do not have the FUIM3 to connect to your charger.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Arnie
Then don't use it. The FUIM3 interface will cost you about $25.00 with shipping and it sounds like you are not interested in spending any money.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Dec 01, 2015, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Then don't use it. The FUIM3 interface will cost you about $25.00 with shipping and it sounds like you are not interested in spending any money.
Your response is ever so much helpful. Thanks so very much.
Arnie
Old Dec 01, 2015, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by Dansy
In search of speed......
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
584 Posts
Quote:
Arnie
I have 2 10XP's and 2 other cell pro and I would think that the USB device is that much for not doing custom presets.....the easy way via computer.

I also use it to monitor new batteries and keep the file to verified performance over time...small price to pay.

I charge to fly at the field only via my generator
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Dec 01, 2015, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
From reviewing this thread, the in puts I have received and looking thru the download listing on the web page, I cannot tell if the charger must be hooked up to the computer while charging a battery in order to fully utilize the CCS.
Also from what I can garner, the value of the CCS is most useful to those who do far more than charge the battery, go fly, and then either storage charge for future, distant flight, or charge for tomorrows flight. Is this a reasonable understanding?
Arnie
Old Dec 01, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by abjets
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
2,093 Posts
Arnie, I am a weekend warrior on the flying field and a few days a week in the back yard with smaller stuff...I run the 10XP with the MPA board (running 2S thru 4S lipo's) I probably charge anywhere from 24 to 30 batteries on Friday afternoon/eve for my Saturday morning sorties and then recharge those batteries after flying for Sunday mornings flights, then I discharge/storage them all on Sunday eve (they all end up being pretty close when finished flying for the day) for the week. I use the preset charge at 1C (auto)...and the preset for discharge/storage. Most of my Lipo's are going on 3 years and only now starting to show signs of age(resistance). I do not use the CCS...but simply watch the charge values (voltages and resistance displayed on the 10XP) and take care of my batteries in flight... I guess if I really wanted to get the most out of the capabilities of the charger/batteries, I should go with the CCS and number all of my batteries and start files on each on :-) But that just doesn't interest me at this point. Charge, fly, storage...repeat :-) I LOVE my 10XP and MPA setup.
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
Old Dec 01, 2015, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by Dansy
In search of speed......
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
584 Posts
Quote:
From reviewing this thread, the in puts I have received and looking thru the download listing on the web page, I cannot tell if the charger must be hooked up to the computer while charging a battery in order to fully utilize the CCS.
Also from what I can garner, the value of the CCS is most useful to those who do far more than charge the battery, go fly, and then either storage charge for future, distant flight, or charge for tomorrows flight. Is this a reasonable understanding?
Arnie
Nope I only do normal thing with the software......but also note I don't Always use it....but I do with new battery or battery that are not doing well.....most of my batteries are 3+ years old.....but I replaced them as I see fit, it's cheaper then Nitro fuel...I fly from 1S to 10S. Outdoor and indoor...
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Dec 01, 2015, 07:02 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,767 Posts
Quote:

Yes the CCS runs on a PC (Personal Computer) and the charger must be hooked to the computer via the FUIM3, a USB interface cable.

Arnie
Glen
Old Dec 01, 2015, 09:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
Glen. Just a quick question. Do you take your computer to the field each trip, and keep it in your work area where you charge batteries?
Arnie.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 09:32 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,767 Posts
Quote:
Glen. Just a quick question. Do you take your computer to the field each trip, and keep it in your work area where you charge batteries?
Arnie.
My computer is a desktop and stays in the shop.

I have two chargers that go to the field with me. One is a CellPro 10S the other is a GT500.

I have a CellPro 10XP and a PowerLab 8 in my shop. Both are monitored by their respective CCS.

I generally charge whatever batteries I will need before I leave for the field. I recharge at the field as necessary.

Glen
Old Dec 01, 2015, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
First, let me apologize for going off topic.
Abjets. Has it always been your practice to storage charge your batteries after use,when it is more that overnight? When you say that most are 3+ yrs. old, then puffing has not been a problem for you. This tends to give some credit to the on going debate on the most likely cause of this condition, since the pattern you describe with regard to charge rate would not contribute to the puffing condition. It also would appear that over-discharge is also not likely. Do you agree?
Arnie
Old Dec 02, 2015, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2,093 Posts
Quote:
First, let me apologize for going off topic.
Abjets. Has it always been your practice to storage charge your batteries after use,when it is more that overnight? When you say that most are 3+ yrs. old, then puffing has not been a problem for you. This tends to give some credit to the on going debate on the most likely cause of this condition, since the pattern you describe with regard to charge rate would not contribute to the puffing condition. It also would appear that over-discharge is also not likely. Do you agree?
Arnie
I am no pro at batteries...or chargers for that matter...I will say that I run a lot of higher power (or more demanding) aircraft, jets and higher speed warbirds, pylon racers. They demand a lot from the batteries! I have found that in my experience, the biggest reasons (2) for puffing is running them too hard and/or letting them sit in a fully charged state for too long. I don't charge at a high rate (1C) and I try to not bring my batteries down to low while running them (I target 7.8v as a minimum). Others at the field tend to push their batteries a bit too far and then they charge them up and store them fully charged for the next possible flight...they tend to puff a LOT of batteries. I guess you could say that I am simply sticking to my routine because it seems to work and I don't fiddle with it much beyond that. My Revolectrix 10XP and MPA board get the job done
Hope that helps!
Old Dec 02, 2015, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
Abjets.. Very much appreciate your comments.
Arnie
Old Dec 02, 2015, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2,093 Posts
Quote:
Abjets.. Very much appreciate your comments.
Arnie
You bet! Cheers-Adam