HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2005, 10:21 PM
RC Boat Guide
U.S.A.
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
Beginner Cessna 182 Scale RTF 4CH Airplane VS. Begin-Air 4 Channel RTF Electric plane

hi,electric rc plane experts:
Does anyone have experience on Beginner Cessna 182 Scale RTF 4CH Airplane & Begin-Air 4 Channel RTF Electric plane ?when Cessna 182 Scale RTF 4CH Airplane VS. Begin-Air 4 Channel RTF Electric plane,which one is better? which one do you prefer?
can anyone tell me what price range is good buy 4 Beginner Cessna 182 Scale RTF 4CH Airplane & Begin-Air 4 Channel RTF Electric plane ?
info was found @
http://www.rcplaneguide.com/Electric...log_Page2.html

thanks
regards
RC Boat Guide is offline Find More Posts by RC Boat Guide
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:26 AM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
I own them both as my first planes. Both fly similar. I would say the beginair rolls better, more stable and bit more aerobatic than the cessna. Also can take more of a beating. If you wreck the wing of the cessna, it's a real pain to buy a new piece and try to fix it since the wire bent won't work and replacing it isn't easy.

I recently did some inverted flight with the beginair, sweet!

Either plane, make sure it comes with FMS sim cable. If it doesn't, then they got old versions of the kit. Also the TX is much better looking than in the pics with metal controls like the futaba and mostly black case.

One negative with the beginair is the way the plastic canopy is held in place isn't very secure so i use some clear tape to help hold it.

http://www.parkflyers.com is just about the cheapest place to buy these.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:32 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
I´m helping out part time in a hobbystore that focuses E-powered planes (but carrys glow, helis, cars and boats also).

We got a few of the Cessna 182 RTF planes, and assembled and testflew one of them just to know what we are selling. Here´s what we found:
1. It looks very good.
2. It also flies well, with enough power and stability to be a reasonably good trainer.
3. The electronics (servos, rx and ESC) are of "traditional" type, meening that they can be easily replaced with off the shelf items if anything breaks.
4. It does not have enough power for "safe" ROG takeoffs, meaning that it WILL take off from a hard or semi-hard surface, but for a newbie such attempts can be difficult since the takeoff runs becomes rather long, and controlling an airplane on the ground, at high speed can be pretty hard.
5. It is rather fragile, which at least to some degree lessens its suitability as a first trainer.
6. The supplied batteries gives it less than 5 minutes of duration, which to me is way too little. This could be solved by buying more batterypacks, or buying a Lipo-battery, but I question the logic in buying a RTF plane and then have to buy new batteries and possibly a dedicated charger to get reasonable duration.

So, to put it shortly: If you desperately want a plane that actually looks like a real plane, and are willing to shell out a few extra bucks for more batterypacks, then the Cessna is not a bad choice. Do expect to do some damage and subsequent repairs to the fragile airframe, wings and undercarriage though. It´s NOT the perfect trainer, but it´s definitely not a total dog either.

Personally I prefer to advice newbies to get a separate package consisting of a good kit or ARF, good quality TX, good quality RX servos and ESC (and possibly motor/gearbox if not included in the kit) and finally a good quality charger and batterypacks. RTF packages does have their advantages though, in that they come complete, are quick to assemble and are cheaper than buying separate items. As long as one remembers that the cheapness is a result of lower quality items (not meening useless), a RTF plane can be a good way of determining whether this hobby is the right one for you, but if you allready know that it is, buying quality allways beats buying cheap.

Good luck!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude