HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
326 Posts
I have been in this hobby for more than 5 years..and this is the biggest revolution I've seen...thank you Alex Mos...'spasiba'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
New video from Alexmos, creator of SimpleBGC, windy conditions. Multiwii H-quad.

Speaks for itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5enRVS8JxA
gondoflier is offline Find More Posts by gondoflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:57 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,672 Posts
All "Alexmos" controllers are derived from the same basic design devised by Alexei Moskalenko. Its basically an Arduino with 2 motor drivers, not that many ways you can do that.
Our controller was layed out by the same guy that created Nanowii and the upcoming UltraESC, Felix Niessen. It was done with proper attention to support parts, trace scaling and cooling properties of the PCB.

Alex licensed his work to different distributors and HW manufactorers. Viacopter, Flyduino and E-copter have teamed up on electronics and motor production to bring cost down and have a common European platform of high quality with good support, documentation and continued development behind it.

But there are others making Alexmos controllers and gimbals to use with it. So far There is a chinese version (FPVmodel) and a Russian?? version (CSG). They will have to answer for themselves in relevant threads....

As for big DSLR´s, only one way to know for sure if it will work: Testing - if you want an answer "right now", there is basically 3 things you can do:

1: Get a controller, build a gimbal and test it...
2: Wait for someone else to make it and test it, hoping it will be "soon".
3: Get something else..

Sry, I dont mean to be rude, but I think that everyone has to realize that this is still in its infancy - this thread has been up for less than 2 weeks. I do think that it will grow up very fast, and we´ll see lots of exciting solutions for different cams in due time.

Based on what I have seen so far, my guess is, that with proper attention to weight, balance and motor choice the current controller likely will be able to handle a pro DSLR like a 5DMkII or D700. But until I have tried it myself, I am not gonna say for sure that it can. One of you guys can be the first to find out..

Video with Alexmos controller and a 550D have been shown already, but not many details on the motors and gimbal was posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Well I am pretty confused as to what controller is what, which one is better... who is ripping off who...

I want to support the best controller built hopefully by the original designer...

I am only interested in one that will be powerful enough to move motors large enough for a DSLR like the Canon 5D.

Will this contorller board handle that?

I will design my own gimbal I just want to know if this things got the nuts or if I should wait till rev 2 comes out...

Thanks!

Steve
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:01 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,072 Posts
thanks JussiH that explains a lot.. possibly put that on the first page somewhere too?

I appreciate the explanation and I will order one for testing, if I can't do a large camera I will just use it for fun and get the next rev...
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,072 Posts
next question is...

are there any threads where people are looking at what motors and windings to use for a large gimbal? That way I don't clutter up this thread?

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
thanks JussiH that explains a lot.. possibly put that on the first page somewhere too?

I appreciate the explanation and I will order one for testing, if I can't do a large camera I will just use it for fun and get the next rev...
Just curious... so I wanted to ask; what will you do for motors? Will you rewind them yourself? Is this the only option at the moment?
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
next question is...

are there any threads where people are looking at what motors and windings to use for a large gimbal? That way I don't clutter up this thread?

Steve
Great question. Sorry Steve, I hit the send button on my message before seeing this last one of yours.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
557 Posts
Where can I get the controller?
caotri is online now Find More Posts by caotri
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
sofar only video and code that dosen't run

scam warning
vilhelmsson is offline Find More Posts by vilhelmsson
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jun 2010
428 Posts
common ...pre orders...lol...
marcin.gala is offline Find More Posts by marcin.gala
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:30 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,012 Posts
Quote:
next question is...

Steve
I'm just lurking here out of curiosity but I've been rewinding motors like the ones being used here for a couple of years now and have found it to be very rewarding. The folks on the Electric Motor Design and Construction forum here have brought me along very nicely and quickly.

I think to get the best advice on motor re-winding the best way to do it is to go to that subforum and start a thread with the motor you want to rewind in hand. They will walk you through the process of getting it apart, getting the old windings off, and deciding how you want to rewind it.

Your thread will be read by the smartest motor rewinders on this forum and the discussion as to what you want and how you'll use it will get you advice on the best choices for motors as far as the number of stator arms, the magnet counts, the winds to use, and other details like that. And you'll also get introduced to things like turn calculators, winding scheme generators, and sources for the wire and the other materials needed.

The interest here is apparently to have a motor with a low Kv or RPM/Volt rating and also one that has the smoothest movements as far as cogging. I say that because I've seen mention of winding with 60 turns and of wanting the least perceptible amount of cogging.

As an example of the things that have caught my interest here, I think you guys are starting with motors that, as one example, are purchased wound with 15 turns and a 400 Kv and rewinding those with the same wind but 60 turns. I know that will change the Kv from 400 to about 100. That is an unusually low KV for motors this small. But it will work of course.

But I think all of you quad guys and camera gimble guys will get more and better advice if you raise the motor thing as a topic over on the motor forum. We're seeing an occasional quad guy drop by with other motor questions and as near as I can tell they are going away happier and with better motors.

Someone will always ask, does it make sense to spend this kind of time and a little more money to rewind a motor that you can buy new for $10 or $15? You bet it does!

Why? Because we get smoothing starting, smoother running, and more powerful motors. And they are perfectly matched to the propellers. And they are often motors you simply cannot buy with wind type and termination type that are best for what you want to do with the motor.

And it is fun too! After all, this is a hobby!

Look at this DAT-750 motor before and after being rewound, which one do you think is the better motor?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:50 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
jackerbes thanks for your inputs !! Reading your post made me want to go take a look and now I'm hooked up, reading, reading, reading....did I say reading?

Cheers!
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:56 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
397 Posts
@saabguyspg if you do start a new thread as suggested by jackerbes, please let us all know by sharing the link here.

Jack, thank you for all the information!
DorianJ is offline Find More Posts by DorianJ
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,012 Posts
Glad you guys enjoyed it. If you have a motor in mind, searching the forum might turn up everything you want to know from a past rewind someone else did.

The search engine here seems not so good sometimes, but if you go the the Advanced mode and choose to search thread titles for the motor name or model (like "Turnigy" or "DT750") and set an Any Data range, you can find threads about your motor sometimes. A search of entire posts and not just titles will get you a lot more hits.

How hard is it? Here is the manual for winding and assembling a kit motor with a 12 arm stator and it shows how to do one of the most common and useful winds:

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/...o/KH-257-2.pdf

Is there one particular motor you are using?

Jack
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post

Look at this DAT-750 motor before and after being rewound, which one do you think is the better motor?

Jack
Thx for your input, Jack. Will add a link to page 1.
That motor really looks like it was on a beauty farm!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:53 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,012 Posts
That motor was like my second or third rewind.

I'm not a multi or quad guy yet but I think I see that there would be a lot of satisfaction for you guys in getting a set of well-matched motors.

There is a lot of fascinating stuff going over here with FPV and in-flight video captures. The quality of some of the videos is simply incredible.

Jack