SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:32 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,199 Posts
Yea...............I forgot abouot the "No 2p" part.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,211 Posts
I got a bit of time to glue the top skins on over the last couple of days. I used 24hr Araldite around all the edges, frames & stringers, with Shoo Goo on all the foam sections. This gave me plenty of time to get each section lined up & taped down. Then the weights were stragegicallly placed to keep the edges sealed. I should have used 1mm ply instead of 1.5 as there was a lot of resistance to the bending. Unfortunately I didn't tape the rear corner of the second skin down well enough & it lifted. You can see it in the pic. It won't push down with all that epoxy set there. Not sure whether to get a blade in there & cut the glue away & then re glue it , or just fill it & move on. The gap is about 3/32" on the corner. The other corner on the first skin lifted a smidge too, but not that much.
Before I glued the skins on, I epoxied in an extra bit of ply in the rear sections at a slight angle to give some support to the tongues of the fins when they are glued in. I also added some more thickness to the rear of the right sponson to take the turnfin bracket.
Total weight at this point is 2.7kg or 5.7 lbs in American speak. I don't know if that's heavy or light for a bare 42" hydro hull.
Here's some visuals. The decks still need to be trimmed & shaped yet. I'll do that today.
Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
436 Posts
Looking really nice mate,

Wheres your batteries gonna fit mate?
bostong is offline Find More Posts by bostong
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,211 Posts
Thanks man.
The batteries will fit side by side in the very front of the centre section. The rear of the battery tray will be raised up so that the tops of the batteries will be flush with the hatch. This will allow the ESC to fit further forward partially under the batteries & thus allow the motor to be mounted further forward. I have to get as much weight forward as possible because the tail will be heavy once the fins & wing & hardware are added.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:52 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,062 Posts
Hi Paul,

Your build is coming along very nice!

As the section that lifted isn't part of the running surface, I wouldn't bother too much and just fill it and sand it back into shape, no-one will notice it once the paint has been applied and the boat wizzes by at full throttle...

A little too late, but when I have a ply skin that is too stiff to force in place, I heat it with the paintstripper (or an electric stove) until the glue in the ply becomes soft, allowing me to bend the ply more easier.

Mind you, not all types of glue in the ply softens with heat...

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
Total weight at this point is 2.7kg or 5.7 lbs in American speak. I don't know if that's heavy or light for a bare 42" hydro hull.
If i remember correctly my "bit bigger" Hydro is around 8 lbs dry.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,211 Posts
Thanks Jan. That's a trick to remember.
But I couldn't help myself. I had to fix it. It made the transom look as if it had a twist in it when viewed from the rear. So I cut the epoxy away with a fine saw blade & re glued it. That's the scale modeller in me.

Scorp.
That's encouraging. I was hoping that she was on the light side at this point.
I've weighed all the batteries, ESC Motor, rudder, driveline, cowling etc, & that comes to 2.9kg or about 6.5 lbs. Allowing another 3 lbs for incidentals, fins & wing, hatches, motormount & paint etc the total should be around 15lbs.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:02 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,393 Posts
I think it should be about time for an update in this one unless you've been slackin' Paul.
You'rs sounds like it will be in the same weight range as Hugh's 1/8 scale and his is quite a bit faster than my 19+ lb Miller.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,211 Posts
You've got it in one Bill. I've been slacking. By the time I get home from work after a 1 hr drive I'm just too stuffed to start work on it. But I will get something done next week as the overtime is being cut back a bit.
But while I have your attention, I do have a question for you, & anyone else that has set up a 1/8'' scale hydro.
The club has finalised the 'Electric Rules" One rule that remains from the Gas rules is that the drive dog must be under the transom. This means, as you know, that the strut must be mounted under the hull & enter the hull for adjustment. I've re read your thread on the Miss Miller concerning your set up & have no problem with doing that. Despite all the grief you received from a certain person about leakage. I'd forgotten about all that.
But I was wondering if anyone had set up a straight shaft drive & what depth of prop centre & what type of prop is best. Since there is no adjustment there must be a set of guidelines to follow to get it right first time.
Any info would be most welcome.
Cheers.
Paul.
Last edited by 785boats; Apr 18, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,393 Posts
with the Miller I changed the strut depth a couple of times and had to re-silicon the strut. Mine still gets water inside and the only thing I can figure out is it coming up the stuffing tube. I finally gave up and added an auto bailer that nobody in the FE crowd wants to use. (It works though)

Coming back to the other part, I finally hit the sweet spot (for mine) with about 1/8" of the prop tip (top side) above the bottom of the hull. For me the Octura X646/3 has worked out about the best overall. Hugh's boat that is considerably lighter seems to like a X450 2 blade. Not certain on what depth he's running his at though. Then, if you're planning to run a straight shaft that would be yet another variation where I don't have a clue of where it should be. I'd guess as shallow as possible so the surface drive prop can get there without lifting the tail too high.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:02 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,211 Posts
Thanks for all that info bill. I thought I answered you when you posted it. But It seems I didn't. Has it really been nearly 4 months since I posted anything on this thing?
It's been sitting around doing nothing until a couple of weeks ago when I got the urge to do some work on it. I've built Up a Rigger, a small Hydro, an Osprey & a 25" Boogieman in the meantime. But I need to get this thing done for next year.

I've decided to go with a 1/4" flex drive with the adjustment in the hull.
Just recently I've fitted & shaped the leading edge of the main hull. Also shaped the fins & wing from some 4mm aircraft ply & fibre glass.
Then I had to trim out the deck of the centre section of the hull with some 1/4" basswood, to take the sub hatch.
Also the cowlings were cut to the shape of the deck. This meant that I had to add some extra decking at the front & rear of the centre section so that the sub hatch didn't extend out past the cowling where it tapered.
The slots at the rear of the hull were cut through the deck to accept the fins & the centre fin has been glued into the cowling. More bracing blocks will be added under the cowling to strengthen it later.

The shaft & tube has just arrived as has the strut. Once I get the motor mount, I'll set all that up.

Here's a few more pics.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:33 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,393 Posts
That's looking good Paul. You do some realy nice builds and should publish more of them here. The FE boating section here is getting pretty sparse with barely 3 pages of active threads showing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,211 Posts
Thanks Bill.
I did intend to post a few pics of those other builds, but just never found the time.
The little 26" hydro certainly deserves a spot because it is a great little runner. Once I get some video of it I'll put something together.

I agree with you that there isn't much build action happening here. The Christmas break should remedy that a bit.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post

I agree with you that there isn't much build action happening here. The Christmas break should remedy that a bit.
Maybe everybody is just waiting to be sure the Mayans weren't right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Lol if the world was to end I would hope a lot more builds would be in process, my stash alone could take a year of straight work.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal