SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:59 PM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkboo View Post
My apologies Insanety it looks like I've just hijacked your thread I hope I could've given you some idea to add your own add-on's
no worries, my plan of making a review for the kit have gone out the window.
My daughter is taking up my time, hard to admit but she's already got me warped around here finger.
if it's still possible to rename thread's, I'll rename it to something like " Hobbyking Rigger build and setup thread".
Insanety is offline Find More Posts by Insanety
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:11 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Diapers!

Well that's what they do at that tender age You would probably also think you've acquired a poo machine what the many boxes of Pampers and baby bag with all those diapers to exchange at anytime any place I would say enjoy those years because they speed by before you know it

I would say no need to rename, rcgroups is known to have a couple of the friendliest knowitalls, budintoall and needtogiveadvices you've ever come across that this happens every now and again Important is to keep OT as Chuck indicates!

Anyways if you don't mind I'll keep posting some pics I've made and will take and a vid when on H2O, etc. I guess the thread will develop as a normal thread should ...or not and as you get used to your new situation and have learned how to cope with it and get some time to dedicate on your hobby you can post your experience and how you go about the issues encountered, what HW you going use ...you know!

I would say enjoy your kid and let her wrap you around her fingers anytime! Boo
pkboo is online now Find More Posts by pkboo
Last edited by pkboo; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Spelling BooBoo
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
I bought two struts for this boat, neither are the correct one.

The most promising one was bought from forum member "wjdid"

I assembled the boas as shown "opposite" I guess. I have another rigger thats been run into the 60 MPH area and its assembled straight on. Im not to worried about it.

Im going with the 400XL motor @ 3300 kv.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17153
Basstronics is offline Find More Posts by Basstronics
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
rigger

I have te exact motor which fits 22" boat on 11.1 with aa 632 prop. Mine is in a 22" El Lobo II wooden boat and any bigger would stress the 400. This motor isn't that big either.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts

I have some Kintec pour in foam on the way.

Showing the "wjdid" strut. Basically one hole width off. Im going to fill both holes, clamp and re-drill the holes.

Things to note about the strut. 1) the hole pattern doesnt fit this boat as is. 2) The 1/8" bore on mine was undersized. I have a 1/8" reamer and even after reaming it at size its to tight. I need an over sized reamer now to make it work. Im going to have 3x's the money in strut, tub jig, foam & glue than in the $13 hull alone. LoL

Im hoping this boat it good and I want to build a few more.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:56 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Progress!

So now that I have a couple of days off the weather decides to turn around and from 17-18C it goes to 7-8C ...bummer Anyway I had some work to do, most of the hardware came in through the week, so I started mounting that.

She weighs 475gr, everything loaded except batteries. She's got a first coat of polyester ...I did a slow cure and the wood seem to soak it in somehow. I'm adding the top tomorrow and giving her a normal/fast cure after sanding that what has been poly'd before. I'm hoping to come out at 1/2K after paint, decals and such although I have no idea how much weigh that will add but it seems that she'll will come out lighter than the Miss Madison

I used the same setup as on the MM except for the motor. And I ordered two new motors as well. The one I'm using on the MM is way to fast at 3750KV on 3S, the one in the picture is also a 3750Kv water cooled version. I barely make the 6 minutes at that and in the summer the batteries are going to fry because I'm limited to 150gr on the batteries. I'm using 1800MaH 20C zippy's and it heat's up to around 60C doing the 6 minutes. So now I ordered a 3200KV motor for the MM and the 3300KV version of the one in the picture for the rigger.

It's my first time working with wood and I have to say it's easier than I thought it would be. I was apprehensive about wood because the glue use to take so much time to dry and you have to sand plenty. I don't know why but working with wood has been quite rewarding and the boat is just turning out dandy Boo
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Great looking boats! I love seeing the process of these being built so thanks for sharing.
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:58 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Over!

Ready to have her first primer coat, weighing just over 1/2K, without paint and decals Gotta keep it low! Had a first go on the motor and I'm going to try her first on 2S with a 33 or 34,5mm prop, the motor seems quite torquey.

Took the Mono I for a spin today, she purring quite happy with a new thicker flex link I got her. Still having issues with the vibration on 2 bladed props and they're not even metal. Found out that I do have to balance them to keep the vibration down ...weird never had any issues or never noticed it until the last couple of races ........nothing has changed Boo
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
979 Posts
As an alternative to the back pontoons you might try the "ski" at some point. Check out the JAE 21FE rigger, but basically a ramp along the hull that comes just to the level of the strut.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:22 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
As an alternative to the back pontoons you might try the "ski" at some point. Check out the JAE 21FE rigger, but basically a ramp along the hull that comes just to the level of the strut.
Hey CH, that was basically the idea actually They are short, only 45mm long and 20mm at it's widest point, and are there to "help" the prop stay at level (theoretically one blade in the water) or at least that's the thinking plus I read somewhere that it helps with stability in cornering.... We'll just have to wait and see what it does it's either gonna be a dog to shoot or it'll do it's job Boo
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:09 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
The weather!

Got first coat of painting and last sanding done. The weather suc...d the last couple of days, grey overcast and cold well kinda chilly but warm enough to spray paint and it's been dry up to now. Bright side of this kinda weather is that the air is clean, no dust and the finish comes out great

Like my other race boats she gets a glossy white finish with some other similarities, team emblem (the eightball) and head sponsor (Nosram). So it looks as if I'm going to make it to the races with my new boat, hopefully I'll get a couple of days of testing before the races Races are due the weekend after Easter Boo!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:59 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
They're on!

Well I just sprayed some clear coating on top to protect the paint and decals, bottom follows tomorrow I will hopefully get an impression on how she performs on 2S this weekend ...weather permitting The other motors have not yet arrived so 3S will have to wait until next week.... just in time! Boo
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:43 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Murphy!

A boat lover life is never easy .... just when you think you're in the clear.... (boat) life throws one at you I had thought I had checked and tested it..

The boat hit the water today... BTW she weighs in at 690gr. total more than 100gr lighter than the Miss Madison ...and the cooling plate was leaking into a sealed ESC ....ya'll can guess what happened the next hour

She looked nice on the water... for the time it lasted took a spin and was about to open up when everything stalled Good news.... I have one on order, 10 days now since shipment ...usually takes 10 - 14 days, it ain't coming in today ... the mailman was in the neighbourhood and I stopped him to ask if he had any delivery for me today .....races are next week Boo!
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Always something, isnt it.

I got my AEO 400XL in last week. Im going to put expanding foam into the sponsons before putting the top plan on. Then its a matter of sealing the inside, putting top cover on and sanding nose, paint/assembly.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,062 Posts
Boo, you've got an eMail.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled