SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:37 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,831 Posts
I thought these were quite rare but I have seen 3 for sale in the last month.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Frank, what vintage is that ? The bolt-on bypass cover reminds me of the old Forster 99. BOB
Vintage is late 1949 to about 1954 maybe. Made in Canada. They built a 1/2A engine also but that one alludes me. A few machinists that worked in the Avro Arrow plant made these on the night shift so I was told.
Frank Klenk is offline Find More Posts by Frank Klenk
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Re. the aforementioned French REA engine, here's the test report from Nov. 1951. The tester mentions some abnormal wear in the bearing - a possible clue is that, even though the compression is listed as only being 8.5 : 1, it feels more like 12.5 : 1 on the actual engine. Another point that worries me is, the head is shrunk (or staked ?) on - I've read lots of stories about these type of engines launching the cylinder head into orbit ! What sort of glow fuel was available in France in 1951 ? BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post

Bill
Bill, They may not be mega-rare, but are certainly thin on the ground. They also made a horizontally opposed twin, and a 3 cylinder radial. BOB
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
Vintage is late 1949 to about 1954 maybe. Made in Canada. They built a 1/2A engine also but that one alludes me. A few machinists that worked in the Avro Arrow plant made these on the night shift so I was told.
Frank, these could well be the engines they installed in the full-size Avro Anson's. The props were so small, and the cowlings so big that most of the air went to just cooling the engines ! BOB
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,590 Posts
>A few machinists that worked in the Avro Arrow plant made these on the night shift so I was told.

Frank, have you ever talked with Dave Sugden about them? If someone was building engines there I'm sure he'd have been aware of it .. if not more.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Just purchased off eBay (for a friend who doesn't have a computer), a NIB Erickson MCC-120 engine (yes, they have a glow plug - 2 actually). These are very interesting engines, but unfortunately, the manufacturer seems to have gone out of business. If you use this link, then click onto the red diagram, you can see how the thing works - sort of http://www.ericksonmotors.com/technolo.htm
and this report http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_n8884520/
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:34 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Danny, have you got one of these ?
Hi Bob,
No, unfortunately i don't.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Hi Bob,
No, unfortunately i don't.
But Danny, its perfectly obvious - the kneebone's connected to the thighbone, the thighbone's...........................!
Ah, I thought you meant you didn't understand how it all worked - my bad !
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Mar 11, 2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Stupid me
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:41 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
OK guessin time--
Guy,
Don't know about the engines, but the car is a Mercedes type W123, seems like it is pristine condition, back in the eighties I did many kilometers (miles) with W123's. Nice dog to! They love to sit in front of the car on the passenger seat.
regards,
Danny.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:13 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Magnum .91

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post

Bill
Hi Bill,
Nice and interesting MAGNUM.91 that You have!
seems like they have been made in different production runs over a period of time. As i remember they started as MAGNUM with black cyl.head and fins with some minor changes during production, later on they were distributed under the name POWERMAX with alu-color cyl.head, black cyl.fins and powermax 91 inscription no longer on the cranckcase. Last production run that i am aware of was under te name HI-MAX with blue or red anodised cyl. head and black cyl.fins, distributed mainly in the US by HobbyLobby i think. There also was a MAGNUM V-Twin and a 3cyl.radial made in small production (will post some pictures of the V-twin and 3cyl. later on)

Regards,
Danny.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:44 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
ERICKSON MCC FE-120 twin

Made in Indiana USA.
At first they also made the FE-200 version, similar in design to this FE-120 but larger in cu.in. and machined from bar stock.
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 11, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:15 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Enya VT-240

Bill & Bob,
Here's another Enya VT-240 owner/enthusiast to join the club.
Last edited by danny.act; Mar 11, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Guy, my God, #3 & #4 must be a tiny engine - look at the size of that Arden plug in relation to it ! It must be a home-made job, speed intended ? Dunno what the dog is, but why is he sitting in a Mercedes ? BOB
I thot these engines might be of interest- the .051 was built entirely, by Paul Frisby-in about 1952- the long nosed .29 a little later
Paul was a wind tunnel model make at Convair in 1950 time period - He made a flying working Convair Mainliner powered by two Super Cycs - retracts flaps lights full interior etc..
I helped him fly it (last flight in 1951 in provo Utah) Paul could make a watch out of lump of iron using a pen knife-- The first engine shown is a Redshift .61 from England -using fuel delivery similar to Japanese design YS
The dog?
That's Libby- a Beagle/Cocker mix - faithful(?)watchdog for my 84 MB TD- she watches while I drive.
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
Quote:
...What sort of glow fuel was available in France in 1951 ?
I think straight fuel, nitro was rare and expensive. Even in the 60's, most European and British engines were designed to run on straight fuel, like this Merco 49 MkII.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot