HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:31 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
So the other question I have regarding the UHF systems is about the OSD. When you get the UHF system do you have to get the corresponding OSD with it or can you get different stuff? I was looking at dragonlink as a farther down the road setup from 72mhz but does that mean anything for autopilot, osd, gps and incompatibilities?
The OSD and the UHF LRS have nothing to do with each other, you can mix and match brands. DragonLink will work with any OSD.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:00 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
I've ordered my Skysurfer kit V1 and have been trying to figure out the preferred motor type for FPV flying.

Are there interference issues with an outrunner versus an inrunner?

Based on other's success in this thread, I am leaning towards the Eflite 6 series 2700kv with apc 6X4e prop.

thanks for any help
I don't have a Bix, so I can't give you great advice. Generally FPV favors efficiency for endurance. You want the largest prop you can fit for higher efficiency. I bet your kv is too high with that motor, it's gonna be a screamer. Loud means wasted energy. If a 6" is the biggest you can fit without hitting the boom, then consider more pitch so you can turn the prop slower.
I think the stock motor is like 2000kv, that seems better to me.
But you should really hit the Bixler thread where you will get more experienced answers rather than theoretical ones.

BTW, Inrunners are fine, but cost much more, so they are less commonly used in airplanes.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:39 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
But you should really hit the Bixler thread where you will get more experienced answers rather than theoretical ones.
Skysurfer and Bix thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533848
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:35 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
You can always sell it to someone and get some money back. Just try to space your equipment apart. Distance is key when positioning receivers, transmitters, and such.
Thank You for the reply.
But, the problem I have is I can't find the information, to even put my system together.
The manual OSD manual is not very clear. (At least for me)
I need some step by step instructions on what goes where, with pictures.
Quite frustrated.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
The OSD and the UHF LRS have nothing to do with each other, you can mix and match brands. DragonLink will work with any OSD.
Is there any UHF systems out there that work easily with spectrum radios? It would be nice to have one that plugs into the trainer port.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Is there any UHF systems out there that work easily with spectrum radios? It would be nice to have one that plugs into the trainer port.
I just connected this one to my DX8...works fine:
http://www.rangepiloting.com/index.p...bd9f79963511c4
I bought it second hand.
DX8 is off, plug UHF Tx PPM into trainer port and DX8 comes on.
plug 3S battery into UHF Tx power...led flashes
plug battery into plane and we have control...
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Hey guys, If I add filters should I get filters on the video tx or rx.. or both?

Also is it worth filtering my 433mhz gear running 1.3 and or 900 mhz video
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,466 Posts
Generally, a filter is good to run on whatever has the lower frequency and that's it. If you use 433 control, that's where the filter goes. If you use 2.4GHz control and 1.3for video, use the filter on 1.3GHz video.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,308 Posts
Bump. Alex, what do you think? Do I need to cut off my sma so I can attach the adapter, or can I use two adapters, or will that shift the freq too far.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Buy a really cheap N to SMA adapter. The cheap ones have an impedance mismatch that puts the antenna right on 1280MHz. The cheaper, the adapter, the better. Check EBAY.

-Alex
Quote:
Thank Alex that is a creative solution no one else would have thought of!
Unfortunately it already came with SMA. Any other solution, or should I get an SMA to N and then another N to SMA adapter?
How much will this frequency mismatch affect my signal?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi guys,

I had to balance out my plane by putting some weight in one wing. It is a very small metal nut, but I am concerned that it is only about a centimeter away from the end of my Dragonlink antenna. Is that going to be a problem or does metal not have any effect on antennas?

Thanks,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:49 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Today's experience reaffirmed my decision not to fly FPV with a fixed wing plane until I buy a dragon link or similar system.
No sir, you are very very wrong here.

Quote:
One of my fellow fliers at the local flying spot came out with his FPV ship to fly under goggles for the first time. He is flying 900mhz with a 1.5Mw Tx. His radio is a Futaba 2.4.
His problem was a 1.5W TX (I cannot describe to you the utter amount of fail a 1.5w TX causes). Ditch the 1.5W TX, get a 200MW version.

The other problem is 2.4 radio. They just aren't great for FPV, although Futaba is probably the best to use if you want to stick to 2.4 control.

72Mhz with a good RX is easily capable of well over a mile. In many cases, 2 miles or more.
Quote:
The only thing that saved him is the fact he had solid video the whole time. after landing we discussed buying a UHF system and he agreed. Crazy...
Please, do not let him get UHF yet. Get him a 200MW TX.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,600 Posts
If you use proper components 1.5 watt has no effects on any component

It's the poor or should I say poor choice of components that limit you video tx out put choice

You will have better video with higher video tx

The only problem with high video,tx is the draw from battery is high

Choose proper components and high video tx works best
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post

His problem was a 1.5W TX (I cannot describe to you the utter amount of fail a 1.5w TX causes). Ditch the 1.5W TX, get a 200MW version.

The other problem is 2.4 radio. They just aren't great for FPV, although Futaba is probably the best to use if you want to stick to 2.4 control.

72Mhz with a good RX is easily capable of well over a mile. In many cases, 2 miles or more.

David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:58 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a pair of Sid Huang RangeLink UHF systems. They came with the trainer port plug for my Dx6i. Plugs right in, had it bound in less than 5 min after the box was open. They also plug right into my Futaba trainer port with a slightly different cable. Pretty slick, no errors, no hassles. You'll need a 3 cell battery to power the UHF when using the Spektrum because it only runs on 4 AAs.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:59 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post

Listen to this man's advice. He's right. Learn the path.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Thanks guys on the range link suggestion. Here I thought I needed a module based system.

Saved me about 150-200 bucks. But why do people get the module based systems? Is it personal preference.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz