HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2009, 02:33 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Discussion
Your recommendations on rechargeable,NiMd AA cells?

OK, I just had a really bad experience with a set of Rayovac AA Nickel Metal Hydride, 2500mah's. They wouldnt hold a charge very long at all. Im using them in one of my Tx's. They have been recharged about 6 times and now I have two bad cells!! Now Im trying a set of Energizer NiMH AA 2300mah's. I took them off the charger last night for about 4 hours and it took 30min to get green lights again(full charge). Do these loose their charge that easy? What batteries have you had the best luck with?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2009, 03:23 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
NiMh cells don't have the "shelf life" that Nicads do, Their self-discharge is higher, so they won't stay nice and hot for weeks.

But NiMh can be used in Tx packs, choose the "brand" carefully. The "consumer" NiMh are inexpensive, so ya gets what ya pays for. I have had outstanding service from Cheap Battery Packs http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com for every type of pack, including NiMh Tx packs.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 04, 2009, 04:27 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,062 Posts
Hi Tim,

See if you can get some Sanyo ENELOOP AA for your Tx, they hold the charge for a very, very long time. (Sanyo claims up to 80% over a year.)
Compared to the 'regular' NiMH AA they are horribly expensive, but as Bill said: "ya gets what ya pays for"...

I'm using two sets for my camera for six months now and all cells still work flawlessly.

When my last set of AA's started to fade, I switched to 3S Lipo for my transmitters, but this only works if your Tx has a batterypack (and will work on the 12V+ of a fully charged Lipo).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Dec 04, 2009, 06:48 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Rayovacs are worthless, Energizers variable (be sure what the capacity rating is - your 2300's should be fine)
I've used Energizer 2350 NiMH's for years and they hold up pretty well and seem to deliver the rated capacity.
But it sounds to me like you need a better charger. A good charger is critical to maximizing charge and prolonging battery life.
Expect to pay about $75 to $125 for a good multi-type digital charger.

Here are two good, easy to operate ones at reasonable cost:

#1. A very popular small charger that can charge many types of battery. It needs a separate 12-15V 2amp power supply. About $75:
http://www.robotshop.us/multiplex-ln...charger-1.html

#2. A new charger with great features and highly automated to optimize charging. Plugs into 110V or 12V. $100-$125:
http://www.ehobbies.com/gpmm3155.htm...mpaign=froogle
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Dec 04, 2009, 07:53 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I use loose AA NIMH's mainly for my digital cameras, which can really eat power, and have to agree with DanL on the Rayovacs not being the best of the bunch.

My best results have come from the Sanyos that I pick up from the battery merchants at the tradeshows, with a close second from the rechargeable Energizers.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Dec 04, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,791 Posts
I always carry a full new set of Alkaline “AA” batteries with me when I am off to the lake. If I have any problems at all with the rechargeable batteries, it is in with the alkaline batteries. You also get the advantage of the additional voltage for powering up your servos.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:56 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Feb 2007
412 Posts
A vote here for the Enigizer 2350 cells. I have use them for almost 3 years now in one transmitter and two years in another two. Would recommend a going with a good charger. I use the Hobico dual charger (goes for about 50.00) being a dual charger you can charger trans. and rec. at the same time. One other note, you do not want to repeak a NiMD cell. IE charger says its done and put it back on charge again with out use in a short period of time. It hurts the cell. This practice was ok with nicads and peak chargers.
JOHN SCALE BOAT is offline Find More Posts by JOHN SCALE BOAT
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:14 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,992 Posts
I use a lot of these for my industrial applications and they are great...
http://uk.sanyo.com/Products/View/HR...P%282700mAh%29
These get charged every single day and work for 8 hours straight. The first ones I had to change came in after about 9 month (still use them in my Rx, but not good for the original application).
Highly recommended.
CornelP is online now Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:44 PM
Detroit
Joined Aug 2006
79 Posts
I swear by the Duracell "pre-charged" cells. I think they're just re-branded Sanyo Eneloops. They're good cells, just the same. But make sure if you get any, that they're made in Japan. Some of the cheaper ones you'll find at Costco are made in China, and after the debacle I had with some "Ultralast" NiMH cells, I stay away.
jz78817 is offline Find More Posts by jz78817
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:48 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Thanks for the info, Im going to buy some of the better cells. These crappy ones I've got are p ss g me off. I guess its a case of spend a little more money get alot better performing product.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum