Old Mar 07, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
Discussion
aristo-craft sharp 45 pattern plane 80s era

went to a swap and found this. 61" ws. looking for a kit and came upon this arf. retract compatible and should make a fun electric flyer. always nice to have something to work on at the bench... directions are sparse to say the least. No mention of weight. Wondering what size electric motor would work for this girl? Ideas?
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; May 01, 2015 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2015, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
went to a swap and found this. 61" ws. looking for a kit and came upon this arf. retract compatible and should make a fun electric flyer. always nice to have something to work on at the bench... directions are sparse to say the least. No mention of weight. Wondering what size electric motor would work for this girl? Ideas?

Something in the range of a 40 to 50mm Brushless Out runner with at least 1200W using a 5s 30c 5000mAh Li-Po or 6s 30c 4000mAh Li-Po with a 15 x 8 or 16 x 8 prop could work.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I have a 62" Osiris that weighs 7lbs and I'm using a 4035-10 Hyperion 410kv Brushless Out Runner on a 4000mAh 30c 6s Li-Po with a 16 x 10 APC e Prop and it flys the Osiris without any problem.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Mar 08, 2015, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by mickydee
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,810 Posts
How much prop clearance do you have? I would figure that first and then look at power system options. Glow power motors tend to swing smaller props than electric.
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Mar 08, 2015, 09:02 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
good point about clearance. ill get her mocked up and figure that first. thanks guys. my other major issues is cutting the access for battery switching. i hate to cut into a perfectly solid fuse but.... wondering if i could just paint the canopy black, add magnets to it and sit the batts on the blue canopy floor with the esc wires coming out of a small hole. that would put them close to cg. i could mount rudder, elevator servos in tail for ballast. hmmmm... Walt
Last edited by walter3rd; Mar 08, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:53 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
coming along. all surfaces hinged. no mention of glassing the wing union but im doing that too. these are foam core sheeted wings, my first. hope i can get the retracts to mount securely. im going power 32 4s batts so i can share with other planes. directions are sparse to say the least. no mention of weight or cg. fun though.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 02:23 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
Switched out the aluminum standoff plate for wood. Added a pilot and will begin to cut out the cockpit to use as a large battery access hatch. Should get my batts close to CG. Lots of fun.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:53 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
Managed to get started on the battery hatch. Still need to clean it up but its secure and going to stay put in the air. I can just get a 3600 4s batt into the 3x3 opening at an angle and into place. I will make it look pretty tomorrow. walt
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
725 Posts
Quote:
Managed to get started on the battery hatch. Still need to clean it up but its secure and going to stay put in the air. I can just get a 3600 4s batt into the 3x3 opening at an angle and into place. I will make it look pretty tomorrow. walt
Looking good Walt!!...Are you going to build some kind of battery tray to support the 3600 4S?
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:33 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
Absolutely. That's next.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:42 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
Well I guess what do you expect from Taiwan. Fuse twisted at tail. The horizontal and vertical are shimmed true now but what a pain. I think she will still be a good flyer. I like the overall look. To be continued. ...
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:56 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
725 Posts
Quote:
Well I guess what do you expect from Taiwan. Fuse twisted at tail. The horizontal and vertical are shimmed true now but what a pain. I think she will still be a good flyer. I like the overall look. To be continued. ...
At least you were smart enough to check for that! I agree she is looking good!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:58 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
Thanks. Live and learn
Last edited by walter3rd; Mar 10, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:21 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
I'm guessing she could use tail weight so I installed the dual elevator servos in tail. I'll do the rudder further up inside fuse and central aileron servo in wing old school style as designed. This is electric so the extra wide opening in front of servos is for hot air to exit.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:26 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
725 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing she could use tail weight so I installed the dual elevator servos in tail. I'll do the rudder further up inside fuse and central aileron servo in wing old school style as designed. This is electric so the extra wide opening in front of servos is for hot air to exit.
Lookin good Walt!.....Just curious what "Servo's" are you using? need to get some for my "super Kaos" build! See some use different servos for the Rudder vs. elevator & aileron (I think the feeling here is rudder needs more "torque" ) ?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:41 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
3,298 Posts
I'm using standard size futaba servos I think 3003 and 3004. I'm not too picky really I just wanted cost effective ones as I'm trying to keep cost down. They were 12.99 each. Hobbytown. I like extra power on the elevator so those two are ball bearing. The rudder does not get as much use from me. I usually go individual servos in wing but going old school with center servo with original torque rods this go round. If I'm not happy I can always add wing servos later. Looking forward to your build progress as well. Good luck.