yes, that's me in bold and underlined!!
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old May 02, 2015, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Joined Dec 2011
3,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
700 size coax? That would be interesting to see in action.
This is a little larger than 700 but..

Sikorsky S-97 RAIDER Begins Bladed Ground Runs (1 min 39 sec)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old May 02, 2015, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,431 Posts
Yep, that is pretty close to what I had in mind. Dual tri rotor heads, and a counter rotating prop out back. Speed runs man. The battery layout would consist of two 14 to 16s flight packs running up top on each side of the fuse for high cog. Two esc's laid out much like the new Velos, which I had penned out before that even hit the headlines. Skookum 720 black using a gyro mixer that was designed by OlliW, Jeti telemetry and a separate motor out back to push the rear prop to its limits.

One thing about coaxial cp, they can almost flip on top of themselves since the axis of rotation is based more 'between' the upper and lower heads. With a secondary effect with outside cog. The upper head can also tilt, adding more force to swash lean than a singular swash, so rolls can be almost violent. Piros are literally insane since the full torque is being applied right to the main shaft. As are repair costs if a guy dumb thumbs it.

Troy is still in possession of a prototype 500 dual tri rotor cp coax head I sent him a while ago that I wanted to field test before moving up into the 700 build. That head alone cost more than some guys helis. The drive train is equally complex. Which lead into my research into dual belt drives btw.

Which brings up a thought totally unrelated. Troy, what about auto's with your direct drive if anything goes awry?
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old May 03, 2015, 02:20 AM
Find More Posts by CraigHB
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
325 Posts
There's a video around on YouTube of a fairly large scale one coax in a flight show. I've seen that one, very cool. There's just something fascinating about two giant sets of counter rotating blades. Interesting that one has a tail prop. It's probably better for forward speed, but it would look cooler without it.
CraigHB is offline Find More Posts by CraigHB
Old May 03, 2015, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by heli_haven
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Mar 2012
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yep, that is pretty close to what I had in mind. Dual tri rotor heads, and a counter rotating prop out back. Speed runs man. The battery layout would consist of two 14 to 16s flight packs running up top on each side of the fuse for high cog. Two esc's laid out much like the new Velos, which I had penned out before that even hit the headlines. Skookum 720 black using a gyro mixer that was designed by OlliW, Jeti telemetry and a separate motor out back to push the rear prop to its limits.

One thing about coaxial cp, they can almost flip on top of themselves since the axis of rotation is based more 'between' the upper and lower heads. With a secondary effect with outside cog. The upper head can also tilt, adding more force to swash lean than a singular swash, so rolls can be almost violent. Piros are literally insane since the full torque is being applied right to the main shaft. As are repair costs if a guy dumb thumbs it.

Troy is still in possession of a prototype 500 dual tri rotor cp coax head I sent him a while ago that I wanted to field test before moving up into the 700 build. That head alone cost more than some guys helis. The drive train is equally complex. Which lead into my research into dual belt drives btw.

Which brings up a thought totally unrelated. Troy, what about auto's with your direct drive if anything goes awry?
There is a OWB built into the final stage planetary carrier, inside the transmission. A pulley on the mainshaft will drive the belted tail. She'll auto with the best of em...*grins*
heli_haven is online now Find More Posts by heli_haven
Last edited by heli_haven; May 03, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 03, 2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,431 Posts
Ahhh, (light comes on) now that is cool.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old May 04, 2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,864 Posts
it's a little bigger than on mine. Looks good, man.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher